Fire extinguisher placement

harvey38

Visit site
Hi all,

I have two 250hp diesel engines and a genset in a compartment roughly 10m cubed, I want to fit a clean air, auto fire extinguisher but am I better getting three smaller extinguishers and fit left, centre and right of the engines or just fit one larger (6KG) unit and fit it centrally?

I'm leaning towards a single unit but not having much knowledge, I'd appreciate input from others.

Momac

Visit site
I have just the one auto extinguisher sized for the engine bay.
1620929562589.png
I am no expert but if you have two smaller extinguishers with each not sufficient for the full engine and and only one goes off the fire may not be snuffed out. I guess extinguishers can be linked together so they would act in unison.

fred247

Visit site
Recent thoughts from the experts is one unit, as multiples may not go off at the same time, so won't necessarily extinguish the fire. Personally we have a FIRETRACE system piped around the engine room, extinguishment is then dispersed at the source of the fire, also have an auto protecting the batteries and another auto in the Lazerette for the generator.

harvey38

Visit site
Thanks all, it confirms my original thoughts, £430 lighter in pocket now but if it all does go a bit wrong below, hopefully the single extinguisher should deal with it.

Jamie Dundee

Visit site
Thanks all, it confirms my original thoughts, £430 lighter in pocket now but if it all does go a bit wrong below, hopefully the single extinguisher should deal with it.
In some ways more to the point, your insurance company won’t have any ‘wriggle room’ in the event of a claim.