Finish for Oak

mumbles

Visit site
OK this is not on a boat, but it is oak and needs to look good.......front door step, got damaged by water I think, sanded it back to take off dark stain and old varnish, now need to finish it. Is it possible to use epoxy resin for this to give a shiny tough coat, or is there a problem with UV degrading ? it is in full hot sun, south facing, what would you use to get a tough lasting finish ? Thanks.

By the way, I am a Bobbin dinghy owner, and re last posts I managed to get the sheet rigged and works ok, but during recent sail lost all steerage, as the shock cord came out of the tiller housing, now fitting a lanyard to retain the blade where it should be, this was at Roadford Lake the day before the awful accident, no wind anyway. That shock cord could come out at any time, too risky !IMG_5608.JPG

Tranona

Visit site
I use Osmo for the Danish oak worktops in the kitchen. Good stuff, but no experience of the exterior product. My choice (based on experience) would be Sikkens HLS and Cetol 7, but expensive and time consuming for just one small piece like that. The barge boards on my house are finished with it and I have also done a 10m long Douglas fir mast successfully.

srm

Visit site
Oak moves a lot with the grain opening and closing with changes in moisture content. Avoid hard finishes such as epoxy resin (that would need a UV filter coat anyway to protect the epoxy) and follow suggestions above for a flexible/elastic coating, even though it may need touching up every year or two to keep looking good. Its only a small area.

There was a thread about treating an oak sampson post a while back.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
UV degrades epoxy, so if you use it you need another, UV-resistant coat on top of it. Oak will inevitably darken as it ages - think church pews - and it is notorious for staining readily; something to do with its high tannin content. While it is tough and hard wearing and in those regards ideal for a threshold, it is not a good choice if appearance is an important factor.