Fife Regatta 2022

adwuk

Visit site
Well it is finally here, and yesterday I managed to get out in the boat with the drone and take some footage of the race from Kames (around Inchmarnock for some) to Portavadie. The wind dropped at Ardlamont, and so the courses were shortened, but nevertheless, I think I got some decent footage.

adwuk

Visit site
Terrific. I see that The Lady Anne does possess a respectable topsail. Local interest biases me in favour of Mariquita but I have to say that Moonbeam IV is the best looker.

I don't know if you saw the footage of The Lady Anne losing her topmast on the last day. If not, its here at around the 4:30 mark: The Fife Regatta. They race these old boats hard!

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
I don't know if you saw the footage of The Lady Anne losing her topmast on the last day. If not, its here at around the 4:30 mark: The Fife Regatta. They race these old boats hard!

Thanks.

It looked as if it was the flogging of the spinnaker that did the damage and the mast failed just above the peak halyard blocks.

Shouldn’t be a big job.

Last edited:

adwuk

Visit site
As there is no sailing at the moment for me, I have been learning how to use a new video editing package. The process resulted in a re-edit of the footage that I had from this event last year and I used some clips that hadn't made the cut before. I thought that I would share for any Fife enthusiasts out there.

dunedin

Visit site
As there is no sailing at the moment for me, I have been learning how to use a new video editing package. The process resulted in a re-edit of the footage that I had from this event last year and I used some clips that hadn't made the cut before. I thought that I would share for any Fife enthusiasts out there.

Stunning video thanks. Just a shame the modern power boats had to get so close and mess up many of the shots. (Were they support boats for the Fife’s or just being nosey?)
I recently used a picture from the 2008 Fife Regatta for a presentation. Being a still I was able to erase a RIB from the photo, leaving just 4 big Wm Fife racers, which could almost have been taken 100 years ago.

adwuk

Visit site
Stunning video thanks. Just a shame the modern power boats had to get so close and mess up many of the shots. (Were they support boats for the Fife’s or just being nosey?)
I recently used a picture from the 2008 Fife Regatta for a presentation. Being a still I was able to erase a RIB from the photo, leaving just 4 big Wm Fife racers, which could almost have been taken 100 years ago.

Thanks - the power boats were mainly official event photographers, although I will admit that we also got close on a number of occasions. I was taking stills, as well as flying the drone. Some of the stills were included in the video. If you look carefully in the last shot (around 3:30), you will see a small white warrior 165 trailing Mariquita. That was us.

The reason I switched the colouring of the last shot to sepia was partly because it was straight into the sun and so the colour was weak anyway, but also to show the 100 year old image that you talk about. I totally agree with you.

Reactions: srm

Other threads that may be of interest