FERRETTI 430 - Experience and opinions

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com
You really would have to know what youre looking for! I believe that elongated window was fitted on some of the very last 53s although not mine
Longer window is 04 to 7. As Mapis says that is the real 530. Some 03 53 in stock at some dealers where rebadged this way to help the sales pitch.
Also 530 had more wood options from matt cherry to oak wood. I think this last from 05 onward.

Visit site
...now when the forum’s Ferretti expertise is here (sorry for the thread drift) I want to ask about a couple of things that are a bit of a mystery still for me and can be of use when inspecting any used Ferretti prior to purchase.
I have found a properly istalled pentry fan behind the cabinets with ducts and electrical wiring attached to it but so far I have not found a way to switch it on, any hints are much appreciated.
In addition there are vents installed on the panel below the lower wind screen but there are no ducts connected to them. For some reason they seem to work as I newer have any issue with the wind screen fogging up but I still have the feeling that something is missing here.
In addition I had a problem of finding the main switch for the bbq on the flybridge, however after some investigation I finally found it. The switch that does this is labelled “watermaker” on the main panel. There is no watermaker on my boat to my knowledge. All this is OEM from Ferretti.
Also find that the wiring aesthetics behind the dash is not at the same high standard as the rest of the boat’s electricity installations. When looking deeper behind the panels it seems that Ferretti installed several un-used spare cables from the lower dash to the fybridge and the engine room but left these abit untidy behind the dash panels. These cables are labelled “spares“ ER and Fly. Anyway this is good for upgrading and again a sign of the practical approach to boat owning. The rest is a sign that Ferretti was quite busy producing boats in the early 2000s, my boat is from 2001.

Last edited:

MapisM

Visit site
Baylabayla, sorry but I can't help you with your very specific questions, but here's what I know:

1) yep, late 90s and early 2000s were certainly years where the main problem of most boatbuilder was to keep up with the demand.
This doesn't mean that they were cutting corners a lot, though.
That's a process which started later, around the mid noughties, and went ballistic after the 2008 financial meltdown.

2) one thing which I sometimes noticed on the many Ferrettis that I've seen is that their EN version of any labels occasionally left something to be desired. Many IT builders were much worse, mind. But still, in some occasions I wondered if I would have understood the meaning of something, if it weren't that I speak IT.
I'm saying this because if you should find anything written in IT, also behind the scenes (so to speak), that you struggle to understand, just post a pic and I'll be happy to help with the translation.
Feel free also to drop me a PM, in case I would miss something discussed in some thread.
Life's too short to keep up with each and every thread here in the asylum, you know... :giggle:

Visit site
Baylabayla, sorry but I can't help you with your very specific questions, but here's what I know:

1) yep, late 90s and early 2000s were certainly years where the main problem of most boatbuilder was to keep up with the demand.
That's a process which started later, around the mid noughties, and went ballistic after the 2008 financial meltdown.

2) one thing which I sometimes noticed on the many Ferrettis that I've seen is that their EN version of any labels occasionally left something to be desired. Many IT builders were much worse, mind. But still, in some occasions I wondered if I would have understood the meaning of something, if it weren't that I speak IT.
I'm saying this because if you should find anything written in IT, also behind the scenes (so to speak), that you struggle to understand, just post a pic and I'll be happy to help with the translation.
Feel free also to drop me a PM, in case I would miss something discussed in some thread.
Life's too short to keep up with each and every thread here in the asylum, you know... :giggle:
Tx for the comments and offer MapisM :)

hkikis

Visit site
As we are now ferretti forum can you give me any tip about the rear doors? Most boats have curtains.. With curtains you have full privacy. Ferretti have some blinds.. But I think for half doors..

Is it good idea mirror film ?

markc

Visit site
I have found a properly istalled pentry fan behind the cabinets with ducts and electrical wiring attached to it but so far I have not found a way to switch it on, any hints are much appreciated.
In addition there are vents installed on the panel below the lower wind screen but there are no ducts connected to them. For some reason they seem to work as I newer have any issue with the wind screen fogging up but I still have the feeling that something is missing here.
Are you referring to the extractor fan over the hob? If so, on ours, the switch under the cabinets in the galley that turn on the under cabinet lighting is a double switch, and this is the one that turns on the extractor fan.

We also have vents under the windscreen, and these are for a dedicated AC unit that just outputs air to the screen area - maybe this is similar for you?

markc

Visit site
As we are now ferretti forum can you give me any tip about the rear doors? Most boats have curtains.. With curtains you have full privacy. Ferretti have some blinds.. But I think for half doors..

I'm not sure how good mirror film is when it's light inside and dark outside. We have blinds with tension wires that match the angle of the windows.

Visit site
Are you referring to the extractor fan over the hob? If so, on ours, the switch under the cabinets in the galley that turn on the under cabinet lighting is a double switch, and this is the one that turns on the extractor fan.

We also have vents under the windscreen, and these are for a dedicated AC unit that just outputs air to the screen area - maybe this is similar for you?

Yes it is the extractor fan I’m talking about. On my boat there is only one single switch and a power socket in the galley, this switch controls the lights in the galley. Are you saying that on yours there is one single switch that turns on both the extractor fan and the lights or do you have 2 switches? Actually the manual for the extractor fan indicates that it uses 230V AC only, the spot lights are 12 volts on my boat.

On my boat the AC has separate outlets that are ducted from the AC fan coils. The AC ones in the front of the main salon are directed backwards from the dash. The windscreen vents are separate and leads to the empty space below the panel between the dash and the windscreen.C21D839C-2F61-4584-BFE9-F7DC307FB4EE.jpeg

Last edited:

MapisM

Visit site
Actually the manual for the extractor fan indicates that it uses 230V AC only, the spot lights are 12 volts on my boat.
Usually there is a light also embedded in the extrator fan, whose bulbs are AC and not DC.
That's possibly the only exception as far as lights are concerned, which other than that are DC all around the boat.

Visit site
Usually there is a light also embedded in the extrator fan, whose bulbs are AC and not DC.
That's possibly the only exception as far as lights are concerned, which other than that are DC all around the boat.
The extractor fan Ferretti used on my boat is completely integrated behind the cabinets and it is not visible from outside at all except for a cut out in the horizontal panel above the hob. I found it coinsidently when looking behind the panels in the SB cabin. Neither the boat’s manual nor wiring diagrams are mentioning anything regarding this device but there must be a way to switch it on.AC248C1E-EA54-41C8-9580-B7579B50059E.jpegA0C3334C-3D0C-4C27-A231-5813F8FCF907.jpeg8AFD6F57-5A51-4599-9431-412BB92100B2.jpeg

Last edited:

markc

Visit site
The extractor fan Ferretti used on my boat is completely integrated behind the cabinets and it is not visible from outside at all except for a cut out in the horizontal panel above the hob. I found it coinsidently when looking behind the panels in the SB cabin. Neither the boat’s manual nor wiring diagrams are mentioning anything regarding this device but there must be a way to switch it on.
View attachment 90564
This is the same set up as mine - there are just small vent holes above the hob. I'm not actually sure if the fan is 24v or 220v, but it's in the same place as yours. The switch is a regular Vimar / Ferretti twin light switch that is on the underside of the galley cupboards (next to the dishwasher) see red arrow below. Ogalley.JPGne switch operates the lights (24v) and the other switches the fan. I think it's original, but I'm happy to check in more detail when I'm next there - sadly not until mid-July with current plans.

MapisM

Visit site
The extractor fan Ferretti used on my boat...
I see. Forget what I said ref. lights, the cooktop air extractor I was referring to is the type with integrated filters, similar to what is commonly used in domestic kitchens.
I thought to have seen it that in a 175 or in a 57, but either they used different arrangements depending on models (though markc's 165 is closer to the models I had in mind, particularly the 57), or I was just plain wrong.... :giggle:

Visit site

Actually the blinds work very well. Here is how they look from inside when closed.BFD61BA3-6000-4262-953E-E2EF2F4427EA.jpeg

Last edited:
Visit site
This is the same set up as mine - there are just small vent holes above the hob. I'm not actually sure if the fan is 24v or 220v, but it's in the same place as yours. The switch is a regular Vimar / Ferretti twin light switch that is on the underside of the galley cupboards (next to the dishwasher) see red arrow below. OView attachment 90571ne switch operates the lights (24v) and the other switches the fan. I think it's original, but I'm happy to check in more detail when I'm next there - sadly not until mid-July with current plans.

Mine also have a Vimar switch (on the left) but only one switch witch is for the lights
F6F2D372-E88C-4C83-8B2A-16F813CB8A74.jpeg

Visit site

Here is one interesting handwritten label in Italian I assume that is found at the on the vertical panel to the right in front of the galley, It says something like “RIGA“ or “BIGA” withan arrow pointing upwards, I wonder what this could mean? It looks like it has been there from the factory.
801622D4-EF61-4304-87BA-FB7746C884A3.jpeg

MapisM

Visit site
Looks like "riga" to me, which means "line", but in a bit broader sense.
I'm ruling out "biga" not only because the first letter reminds me more of an R, but also because in IT biga can only refer to the ancient Roman chariots, and I would struggle to think of a reason to use the term in anything boat-related! :D

Anyway, Indeed that type of tape is used during assembly, as reminders for workers about what should be installed where.
And sometimes the tape is left there when not in sight - depending on whether the specific worker remembers to remove it or not, I suppose... :oops:

In this case, my guess is that the note could be meant to point in the direction towards which the panel should be aligned with a line of some kind, a border of cabinet, a filet - something like that.
Sometimes, I've seen that used also for panels or ceilings which are almost (but not perfectly) symmetrical, hence they must be fitted with one specific orientation, which might be not evident at first sight.

Hard to tell what of the above can apply to that bit without seeing also all surrounding parts, though.
I hope to have given some ideas for looking around and understand better!

Visit site
Looks like "riga" to me, which means "line", but in a bit broader sense.
I'm ruling out "biga" not only because the first letter reminds me more of an R, but also because in IT biga can only refer to the ancient Roman chariots, and I would struggle to think of a reason to use the term in anything boat-related! :D

Anyway, Indeed that type of tape is used during assembly, as reminders for workers about what should be installed where.
And sometimes the tape is left there when not in sight - depending on whether the specific worker remembers to remove it or not, I suppose... :oops:

In this case, my guess is that the note could be meant to point in the direction towards which the panel should be aligned with a line of some kind, a border of cabinet, a filet - something like that.
Sometimes, I've seen that used also for panels or ceilings which are almost (but not perfectly) symmetrical, hence they must be fitted with one specific orientation, which might be not evident at first sight.

Hard to tell what of the above can apply to that bit without seeing also all surrounding parts, though.
I hope to have given some ideas for looking around and understand better!

Thank you very much MapisM for the insight. I agree that a reference to ancient Roman Chariots is a long shot :LOL:. Hmm if it means “line” could it have to do with a duct or connection to the flybridge?

Last edited: