FERRETTI 430 - Experience and opinions

hkikis

Visit site
Hello,
After a lot of research I am close to make a deal with a Ferretti 430 2002 with tamd 74p 480hp 1300h.

Any experience in this boat?

Competitors boats in similar size that I had to choose between in my country..
Princess 40
Princess 45
Jeaneau Prestige 42 2009
Azimut 42

My opinion

++Exterior Look & layout++
Ferretti has a timeless exterior design. It looks just a Ferretti! Just winns easy the competitors..! The same about the fly layout..

++Interior look & layout++
Prestige is the only fresh of these boats! Nice design with the worst layout.. 3 cabin version has no kitchen at all.. Stupid sofa that you cannot lay down.. only sit haha!

Layout of Ferretti is by far the best. The only with crew cabin... Huge sofa.. Big fridge and good kitchen.. Also small table with sofas across helm.. Wood color of ferretti looks very old style.. after 2004 ferretti has white creamy wood that i don't like too.. after 2009 they look fresh haha

Princess 45 is the only close to Ferretti..
Princess 40 close to 45 but with 1 cabin less!
Az42 looks old and cheaper..

++Engines++
Prestige has cummins qsb 425 that they are very efficient.. The only with electronic engines and thanks to very light construction only 9tn has the best fuel consumption by far.
Ferretti has tamd74p 480hp and I think the weight is around 17tn so sure it has the worse fuel consumption but ok it has spaces like a 47ft boat! Princess 45 has the same engines!

++Price++
Preistige 175k vat paid
Ferretti 167k vat paid (cheapest ferretti 190k yachtworld )
Princess 40 130k NO vat paid
Az42 160k vat paid
Princess 45 170k NO vat paid

New prices for sure Ferretti was the most expensive at around 1.3m if I read right!

I feel that the price deal of Ferretti is very good right ?

Last edited:

hkikis

Visit site
Unfortunately SQ55 they don't sell in good price.. So I preferred to buy something different.. Don't remind me this haha
They want around 210-220.. At the beginning he told me that he agreed at 200k... But he changed mind..

D

Deleted User YDKXO

I've owned 3 Ferrettis in a row, 46, 53 and 630 so I'm biased. No question, I would go for the 430 rather than the others, providing its in good condition and has a clean survey. There's a reason Ferrettis of this era were more expensive new and that is that they were very well built and well equipped with high quality components which makes them excellent used buys. They are also more voluminous than other apparently similar boats because they tend to be beamier and the hull stretches to the back of the bathing platform. Thats why it feels like a 47 footer inside. They are also relatively heavy because of this so they are not the most economical boats but they are built to cruise long distances as their CE A marking suggests. All Ferrettis of this era had a very useful feature IMHO and that is internal steps to the flybridge. I also like the GRP colour of Ferrettis which is an off white cream colour which is classier than pure white

MapisM

Visit site
The F430 would be also my choice, hands down, vs. all the other boats mentioned.
In your boots, I would have a look also at the F46 that Deleted User mentioned, which is even better.
But mind, the 46, not the 460.
The latter is essentially the same boat as the 430, while the 46 is larger.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

The F430 would be also my choice, hands down, vs. all the other boats mentioned.
In your boots, I would have a look also at the F46 that Deleted User mentioned, which is even better.
But mind, the 46, not the 460.
The latter is essentially the same boat as the 430, while the 46 is larger.

Yes the 46 is larger but it was a touch underpowered with the Cat 3208 engines fitted, which wasnt remedied until the 480 replaced it

MapisM

Visit site
I would swear to have seen at least one with the VP 74, that IIRC are 460hp engines...
Or am I mixing it up?

hkikis

Visit site
46 was around 99-00 ?
I cannot find neither 46 nor 460 nor 480 in similar price with tax paid.

If you like to take a look the boat I give you links of brokers of the boat that I the boat that I am trying to buy.
https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/2001/ferretti-yachts-430-flybridge-3171646/
2001 Ferretti Yachts 430 Power New and Used Boats for Sale -
2001 Ferretti Yachts 430 Flybridge Power New and Used Boats for Sale

Some fotos maybe are old..

Ferretti with 167k with vat paid and normal hours (1380h) we cannot find nowhere in the world... And this is in my city!! Before some months that I asked again and again for this boat the last price was 210k! Now the seller wants a ferretti 53 to buy so that's why I can buy it in this price.

As about the condition! Fully working condition... Today I checked everything about hydraulics and electrics. Everything good except a small leak at steering rack. It needs service.

The boat doesn't have any special refit. Old GPS and radar... old speakers and player.. Old and tired interior leathers.. New exterior vinyls but white and I wanted brown..
Perfect gelcoat very shinny..
Perfect teak..
Normal interior wood condition with only in one door a little whitening..

Bow and stern are so underpowered I think so.. Vetus 8kg bow and 9.5kg stern.. They don't kick ass! The boat is heavy....

Very interesting the tender!! Really good 3.20m with seat helm station and 30hp 2T engine.

As about interior leathers and exterior vinyls I took the decision to dye them. I have done it in the past very successfully with my first boat with SEM products so I will do it again to dont spend money without reason..

I attached some fotos of the colour that I would like to dye the exterior vinyls!!! The interior will be in the same colour!

Deleted User yes I understand what you said... The conclusion is that it is just a ferretti... I understand the advantages even if the age is disadvantage!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200515-203717_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200515-203717_Chrome.jpg
    498.3 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot_20200515-224341_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20200515-224341_Messenger.jpg
    419.5 KB · Views: 31
Visit site
Hi, I strongly recommend the Ferretti. I have owned a Ferretti 480 since 2015 and I’m still very pleased with it. As others have pointed out here the build quality really stands out but so does also the many practical details in the design. These are for example the greate use of space including 3 full size double cabins plus crew, underwater exhaust + good sound insulation provodes low noise levels and no soot. In addition, Ferretti uses very high quality components through out the boat for all ancillary systems, in my case the boat has been very reliable. Btw the 430 looks very nice and well proportioned. Here is a review I did n my boat after the first season:

First season with Alexandra (Ferretti 480)

markc

Visit site
We've had a Ferretti 165 since 2017 and I concur with others that the build quality is very high and all the components are of excellent quality. The 430 is a good choice (y)

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com
A friend client of mine has a 430 since four years, passing from a Pershing 48 with surface drives. He is very happy about her.
He bases in Liguria and he usually does North Sardinia, and Corsica, and last year he did South of France up till St.Tropez.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

I would swear to have seen at least one with the VP 74, that IIRC are 460hp engines...
Or am I mixing it up?

Not sure. I'm fairly sure Ferretti went to the VP engines on the 480, which was the upgrade of my 46. Ferretti do have this habit of fitting upgrades from the next planned updated model into the last few boats of the existing line. I saw that with the 53/530 model in that the later 53's had some of the features of the 530.

And just as a btw, some owners of previous models fitted with upgrades from the new model even got their boats rebadged. The previous owner of my 53 rebadged it as a 530

P1010908.jpg

So any potential buyers should be careful about checking what they're actually looking at

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Bow and stern are so underpowered I think so.. Vetus 8kg bow and 9.5kg stern.. They don't kick ass! The boat is heavy....

I dont know which part of the world the 430 is in but dont make a judgement on the thrusters until they are clean. Fouling can badly affect their performance

I attached some fotos of the colour that I would like to dye the exterior vinyls!!! The interior will be in the same colour!

Be careful about the colour if you intend using the boat in the Med, for example. Darker vinyls can get very hot in the sun

MapisM

Visit site
The previous owner of my 53 rebadged it as a 530
Ah, but that's hilarious!
It's true that the differences between the 53 and the 530 were very minor, and the only reason why I would have preferred the latter is the lighter, non-glossy interior (not prone to fading). But there was one single change that made the two models easily spotted from some distance, i.e. the slightly longer, "tear shaped" saloon window (similar to the 590).
He's certainly not going to fool any expert of the brand, by adding that '0'! :ROFLMAO:

Anyway, it never ceases to amaze me how most folks want to make their boat appear younger and/or larger.
As you know, the very close second in my last boat search was a F175, a boat that during her production years was initially labelled as 54, then 175, and eventually 60 (which is what her actual length really was).
That was mostly driven by IT rules of those days btw, but that's for another thread.
All of them were essentially identical anyhow, with only minor interior modifications, and impossible to distinguish from outside.
The one that I liked most among the few that were for sale was actually one of the very first, hence originally named 54. But her owner re-labelled her as a 60. Putting back the original 54 designation would have been the very first job in my todo list! (y)
But I guess I'm more an exception than the norm, in this respect...

MapisM

Visit site
Not sure. I'm fairly sure Ferretti went to the VP engines on the 480, which was the upgrade of my 46.
Just by the by, you made me curious enough to have a look at YW, where I found this F46 which is indeed VP powered.
No idea about whether it was an alternative choice though, or a matter of production years, or whatever.
Where's PYB when we need him? :)

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Ah, but that's hilarious!
It's true that the differences between the 53 and the 530 were very minor, and the only reason why I would have preferred the latter is the lighter, non-glossy interior (not prone to fading). But there was one single change that made the two models easily spotted from some distance, i.e. the slightly longer, "tear shaped" saloon window (similar to the 590).

I'm not sure youre right. The very last 530 was a very different boat with a single piece window on the side of the saloon but the 530 which was launched around 2002 (IIRC?) looked very much like the 53 which preceded it which is how owners of the 53 were able to get away with rebadging it!

MapisM

Visit site
Nope M, the last 530 indeed had a totally redesigned superstructure, in some ways similar to your current boat.
But there was a small external change in the last 53 years, when on top of the different interior materials, they modified the saloon window shape only slightly, and rebadged her (by Fer, not by the owners!) as 530.
A change subtle enough to get away with the owners' rebadging, possibly. But easily noticeable if you know what to look !
As you can see below, the saloon window is slightly longer and tear shaped (for lack of better wording, though I heard that definition from a Fer dealer) in the second boat, which is in fact a true 530.
ferretti-yachts-53-29776050200769686755485666674568x.jpg

ferretti-yachts-530-29311050201070685151485355544568x.jpg

PS: and here's a 590, just to explain why I said that the 530 redesigned window was similar.
ferretti-yachts-590-31964110161554547057526950674548x.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted User YDKXO

Nope M, the last 530 indeed had a totally redesigned superstructure, in some ways similar to your current boat.
But there was a small external change in the last 53 years, when on top of the different interior materials, they modified the saloon window shape only slightly, and rebadged (by Fer, not by the owners!) as 530.
A change subtle enough to get away with the owners' rebadging, possibly. But easily noticeable if you know what to look !
As you can see below, the saloon window is slightly longer and tear shaped (for lack of better wording, though I heard that definition from a Fer dealer) in the second boat, which is in fact a true 530.
ferretti-yachts-53-29776050200769686755485666674568x.jpg

ferretti-yachts-530-29311050201070685151485355544568x.jpg

You really would have to know what youre looking for! I believe that elongated window was fitted on some of the very last 53s although not mine

MapisM

Visit site
Well, I can't be positive about when exactly that was introduced, but the 53/530 is one of the boats of which I viewed more units during my search, and that window was only there in two "true" 530s, together with the beige, non-cherry and non-glossy interior cabinets.
IIRC, another small change was the external f/b stair, with larger steps and all diagonal, as opposed to the 53 where the first two or three steps from the floor were vertical.
And possibly C12s rather than 3196s powered, but that was just the evolution of the same engine anyway.
Fwiw, they did NOT change the silly battery bank placement, anyway.
THAT would have been a change worth looking for! :p