Fastnet 34 User Group Formed

Gungey

Visit site
Hey guys, new to Fastnet34's new to sailing (new to boat restorations), so this could be interesting and a money pit!!
I have a general good understanding of carpentry/woodwork and will be taking a crash course in fibre glassing, as I will probably end up having to do the deck completely.
I bought her in a harbour auction (where she is still stuck due to the Corona Virus.
For any other owners, I could do with some good pictures of the left hand side of the galley entrance, as I will need to rebuild this on mine.

If you fancy a laugh, click on the below (its not for the faint hearted!!

31 new photos by Chris Genge

bdh198

Visit site
Hey guys, new to Fastnet34's new to sailing (new to boat restorations), so this could be interesting and a money pit!!
I have a general good understanding of carpentry/woodwork and will be taking a crash course in fibre glassing, as I will probably end up having to do the deck completely.
I bought her in a harbour auction (where she is still stuck due to the Corona Virus.
For any other owners, I could do with some good pictures of the left hand side of the galley entrance, as I will need to rebuild this on mine.

Wow, that’s going to be quite a project. I suspect her name reflects your attitude. Best of luck with the project, and please keep us updated with posts/photos as it’s very inspirational to see boats like that given a new lease of life!

Gungey

Visit site
Thank you Dou748 and bdh198. To be fair, its going to be difficult as I have a shoe string budget and not really thought about the consequences of my actions, but all I can vision, is the dream of spending time on it on the ocean or in harbours, I am sure that will keep me going.
I am still watching a great many videos on fibre glass laying and the best ways to do this, including trying to get my head around sailing terminology and knots!!
I will of course keep you posted :)
I will probably start my own thread on this when i am under way, but first I still need to get her craned out of Bristol Harbour as soon at this isolation is done.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com

I rebuilt a boat in a similar state to that once.

Firstly, it takes years...

Secondly, take LOTS of measurements and photographs and then don't mess about. Rip the interior out or ANYTHING that isn't sound and start again. It's quicker and easier.

You will get to know your local hardwood merchant very well. Robbins Plywoood is very good quality but expensive but almost certainly worth it.

A tent to get the thing dry is essential otherwise my experience was that whenever I had a day off to work on the boat it was raining and whenever I was working it was sunny and dry...

Commuting a long distance to work on the boat is a PITA.

Gungey

Visit site
thanks John. The boat will be coming to Uphill Boat yard which is just 5 mins from my house.
I will be trying to save what I on the interior, as I dont have the budget to rip it out and start again.
Great tip on the tent.
Did you do all your fibre glassing on Deck? Ive been told two layers of 450gsm chop, with a non slip glide coat, but looking for advice as I go.

Wansworth

Visit site
Maybe after further examination the deck does need replacement take it all off and this will speed up interior renovation?
spend time erecting a good plastic cover possibly with standing headroom over the deck,ventilation andeasyweatherproof access

Last edited:

Wansworth

Visit site
Having fitted out a 40 footer and several interior rebuilds I found that at the end of the day leave a job to continue the next day so yo can start on something right away instead of pondering and entering in dispair!

Concerto

Visit site

Looking at your photos I think you have a Fastnet 34 hull but the deck is non standard. It should have a blister type deck. This web site should give you an idea of what a standard Fastnet 34 looks like. Fastnet 34 archive details - Yachtsnet Ltd. online UK yacht brokers - yacht brokerage and boat sales

The deck you have seems to be plywood with a glassfibre sheath. This may make repairs more difficult due to wet plywood that will need to be replaced. The bonus is you might only need to sections rather than the whole deck. Your woodworking skills will certainly be tested. The good bit is it can all be fixed. So have fun and hopefully you should still have some hair once it is finished.

Do keep us informed of progress with lots of photos.

Gungey

Visit site
Not much of an update as this pandemic has slowed me down due to access more than anything.
I have removed a lot of the interior on the back end whilst I prepare to remove and redesign the back end deck. It would be easier just to replace but I feel it lacks in a few areas.
I have managed to get the engine running (but it does need a good service).
I do feel much of the deck will need replacing as will the interior as although it looks ok the bottom 3 I ches has rotted in the grp where is fixed to the hull.
The most important thing is, the oven and hob work, so I'm all good for coffee.
Sadly I will not be rebuilding the Deck as it should be, I have to work with what I have.
I did find that as someone correctly said, it's a 2mm layer of glass over 18mm ply.

LauraKatie

Visit site
Hi
I’m just starting a new build upon a hull and deck moulding purchased recently from a garden in Plymouth
The yacht has never touched water.

Build will include new engine on saildrive
80 % will be all new equipment
Totally new interior.