Fastnet 2021

savageseadog

Visit site
There might be one less crew member on board in a bit,.......

Having done the Fastnet I can honestly say that the exclusion zones are very limiting and more than a bit of a pain. The one that allows passage close to the Scillies is frankly dangerous. It would have been better to allow passage in the separation of the TSS

Martin_J

Visit site
Rambler have 'one of the most experienced crews around '..
www.yachtingworld.com/fastnet-race/all-star-line-up-boats-to-follow-in-the-2021-rolex-fastnet-race

Definitely got to feel for them with their expectations but surely there's sbdy on board double checking decisions..
www.sail-world.com/news/240427/49th-Rolex-Fastnet-Race-sets-sail

We actually did it in 2013 and 2019 on the Moody you see in my Avatar. We were nearly at the bottom of the list in terms of rating.
When I ran our polar through the routing software on Sunday morning just before this year's start, it put us rounding Land's End about now, rounding the rock at 0800 on Thursday morning then back into Cherbourg in the early hours of Monday morning (well after any celebrations at the finish are over).. For IRC four it's a real challenge to get back in time for the party although racing against the same boats in the qualifiers was great and we even met others on the sea suvival course ealier that year who ended up racing quite closely against us in the same class.

I feel those who take a week to finish really do have a challenge.

Martin_J

Visit site
There might be one less crew member on board in a bit,.......

Having done the Fastnet I can honestly say that the exclusion zones are very limiting and more than a bit of a pain. The one that allows passage close to the Scillies is frankly dangerous. It would have been better to allow passage in the separation of the TSS

It does feel odd putting a waypoint a short distance (a few metres) outside the exclusion zone into the plotter and then racing around it!

savageseadog

Visit site
It does feel odd putting a waypoint a short distance (a few metres) outside the exclusion zone into the plotter and then racing around it!
We have taken part in a number of races around the Irish Sea which have had virtual marks. On one race I was absolutely certain that a couple of boats ahead of us hadn't rounded the "mark". We would have finished second otherwise.
The Fastnet race ones aren't just a mark, it's an area of ocean. It's usually the case that one's relationship with the area will take the form of navigating along a line. Apart from that I'm not convinced that some of the exclusions are appropriate.

Martin_J

Visit site
If you allowed the racing to go through TSSs then you'd be arguing over whether or not each of the competitors were actually crossing them as near as practically possible to right angles.
Easier to say TSS zones are all exclusion zones.

Martin_J

Visit site
Looks like leaving TSS to starboard on the way back didn't pay off.
NSC - Did not sail the course.
I'm still baffled how the navigation was done. Is it the sole responsibility of one person, or did more than one navigator both fail to understand the course?
Allowing boats to return that way and you could end up with the faster boats going opposite directions with closing speeds of 60 knots :oops:
I seem to think we had 7 navigators on board last time... yes, the whole of our crew.

zoidberg

Visit site
There are lots of big-boat navigators who are paid ( handsomely ) to do their stuff. By that measure they call themselves 'professional'.
OTOH, there's a handful of professionally-trained ( and well skilled ) navigators still racing 'cos it's their sport, mostly unpaid. They are called 'amateurs'.
Go figure!

savageseadog

Visit site
It's interesting than quite a few retirements mention failed electronics or charging systems. I know that AIS is a requirement for the Fastnet, I'm not sure what the rules are regarding it being operational at all times. Other than that a bit of old fashioned chartwork?

sfellows

Visit site
Now that Rambler 88 is officially retired (DNF) there doesn't appear to be much in the Yachting Press/Social Media regarding their course after rounding the rock to leave the Fastnet TSS to starboard (and, I assume, the reason for the DNF). I can't imagine it was done deliberately.

savageseadog

Visit site
There are a number of incursions through the exclusions that I can see on the tracking. I haven't checked out who they are but some of them might be retired boats returning.

Martin_J

Visit site
Rambler's routing decision did get a mention on SailingAnarchy on Tuesday
sailinganarchy.com fastnet oops

Then yesterday they commented on the outcome
sailinganarchy.com unforced-error Rambler

I'd still love to know how the routing decision was made..
As to my earlier comment on how we came to have 7 navigators on board - We'd all got together from sailonline.org to to the Fastnet after having spent years virtually racing against each other yet never having met in person.

Martin_J

Visit site
There are a number of incursions through the exclusions that I can see on the tracking. I haven't checked out who they are but some of them might be retired boats returning.

The YBTracker actually has quite a slow update interval so perhaps it does show some jumps over the exclusion Zones. AIS on Marinetraffic might show more accurate tracks.

Tomahawk

Visit site
Rambler's routing decision did get a mention on SailingAnarchy on Tuesday
sailinganarchy.com fastnet oops

Then yesterday they commented on the outcome
sailinganarchy.com unforced-error Rambler

I'd still love to know how the routing decision was made..
As to my earlier comment on how we came to have 7 navigators on board - We'd all got together from sailonline.org to to the Fastnet after having spent years virtually racing against each other yet never having met in person.
Can anyone imagine the atmosphere on board once it became apparent?