Fastnet 2021

savageseadog

Visit site
Seems to have started into some brisk weather. Dismastings, collisions and some retirements including one from our club fleet.

jaminb

Visit site
I enjoyed watching the start - on the live feed, from the comfort of my saloon. Been tracking the guys who were preping a J105 on the pontoon next door, the live tracking shows they have turned back and are now in Yarmouth.

mikegunn

Visit site
I watched the leaders go through the Hurst Narrows. Wow! Those big tri’s can sail really close to the wind too. Those at the front are already rounding the lizard and should then have a perfect reach up to Rockall. Elapsed time for winners could be sub 48 hrs.
Mike

Babylon

Visit site
Watched the fleet departing. Was walking the dog on the beach at Yarmouth (where I've been sitting out the weather myself!) then further down at Sconce etc. Quite a few of the cruiser-racers were under storm-jib or trysail. This view from the fort of the top of the Needles Channel just out from Hurst Narrows:

1050908.jpeg

Babylon

Visit site
And some of the bigger machines earlier:

1050889.jpeg

1050846.jpeg

Boat berthed behind me had to retire with gear failure, and I heard there were quite a number of Pan-Pans.

savageseadog

Visit site
I enjoyed watching the start - on the live feed, from the comfort of my saloon. Been tracking the guys who were preping a J105 on the pontoon next door, the live tracking shows they have turned back and are now in Yarmouth.
I think that would be Mojo Liverpool Yacht Club's Commodore's boat. Not sure what's happened.

I saw one major collision on the start video.

matt1

Visit site
Why is Hugo Boss so uncompetitive? Consistently slower and overtaken by the previous Hugo Boss (which I’m convinced he would have won the last Vendee in). He must be really disappointed. Got a good start too. Amazing at Hurst to see how small Rambler looked up against the Club Swan 125!

matt1

Visit site
Blimey, Apivia is on fire! Alongside Scorpios at the Scillies! Looks like she has consistently done 16kn overnight vs 10kn for the other IMOCAs - what a standout performance

Boathook

Visit site
Watched the fleet departing. Was walking the dog on the beach at Yarmouth (where I've been sitting out the weather myself!) then further down at Sconce etc. Quite a few of the cruiser-racers were under storm-jib or trysail. This view from the fort of the top of the Needles Channel just out from Hurst Narrows:

View attachment 120334
Hurst Castle was holding 30+ knots of wind on Sunday, so wind against tide would have given some interesting seas in the area. I pulled out of a club event to Lymington because of the forecast and glad I did as I would have been travelling west as well in a 9m cruising cat to get home.

flaming

Visit site
Why is Hugo Boss so uncompetitive? Consistently slower and overtaken by the previous Hugo Boss (which I’m convinced he would have won the last Vendee in). He must be really disappointed. Got a good start too. Amazing at Hurst to see how small Rambler looked up against the Club Swan 125!
Hugo Boss was arguably the most downwind optimised IMOCA ever. Not exactly the machine of choice for a beat down channel in 30kts....

Gixer

Visit site
Blimey, Apivia is on fire! Alongside Scorpios at the Scillies! Looks like she has consistently done 16kn overnight vs 10kn for the other IMOCAs - what a standout performance

I've been watching them on YB races app, their course was so different but they ended up so close. I'm keeping my eye on Rambler as well although he looks to be well downwind of them.
I've never followed yacht racing but this is truly fascinating.

matt1

Visit site
Hugo Boss was arguably the most downwind optimised IMOCA ever. Not exactly the machine of choice for a beat down channel in 30kts....
Yeah and I’m pretty sure that’s what AT racing said when she started to lose her lead in the S Atlantic. Not really sure I buy that tbh. I mean Charal is pretty similar and lying nicely in second. Could it be that HB just isn’t that quick? She took the lead in the Vendee though tactically going though that tropical storm…his last boat was demonstrably faster than the rest. This one? I’d say on what we have seen she is slower, sadly :(

flaming

Visit site
Yeah and I’m pretty sure that’s what AT racing said when she started to lose her lead in the S Atlantic. Not really sure I buy that tbh. I mean Charal is pretty similar and lying nicely in second. Could it be that HB just isn’t that quick? She took the lead in the Vendee though tactically going though that tropical storm…his last boat was demonstrably faster than the rest. This one? I’d say on what we have seen she is slower, sadly :(
Jury is still out, certainly...
But if you think back to the start of the last Route De Rhum where it was moderately fresh downwind, they absolutely blasted away from the fleet.

matt1

Visit site
I guess foil shape has a lot to do with upwind performance, so maybe you would expect to see a difference between similar hull shapes (eg Charal) if they have different foils. I can’t recall Charal’s foils