Falmouth/Helford Rivers in (this) August.

eddystone

Visit site
Based on River Tamar. Missed sailing opportunities in July due to maintenance issues. Normally I would avoid August other than for daysailing as places like Fowey, Yealm, Salcombe, Dartmouth are pretty crowded out. I imagine this August would be a lot worse due to pent-up demand and reduced capacity. Any thoughts on possibility of finding room to anchor or a mooring somewhere in Helford River or in Falmouth Harbour. Being either single or very short handed the possibility of finding no room and having to head back to Plymouth would stop me going in the first place. I've not been to Falmouth before (by sea anyway).

ibbo

Visit site
It does appear to be quite busy at the moment, but there are plenty of places for anchoring unless you want to be in the official falmouth anchorage, or require deep water.

pm me nearer the time if you need any assistance.

Mike

robertj

Visit site
If July is anything to go by August will be very busy.
most good anchorages were packed, the others that are exposed were frequented quite well also.
possibly everyone like myself who cruise abroad hasgiven it a miss (due to this virus) and stayed in home waters. Falmouth will not allow rafting on the pontoons/moorings or at anchor so that has limited the port heavily.
I think fowey is a little more sensible.

Bathdave

Visit site
I was about to post a query on similar lines, so I’ll work it into this thread

We are about to head off from jersey to Plymouth, then down to Falmouth and then the Scillies, and then back to Falmouth area for a week

Just looked on marine traffic and it looks very very busy ( MT scale always makes it look worse than it is)

I guessed lots of people with boats who never use them decided that this year would be the year to make use of it

So is there any news from those actually on the ground there (or should it be the water? ) about whether there are places to anchor or tie up?

sarabande

Visit site
Friend of mine from Tamar has just sailed to Helford and is currently moored upstream just in mobile phone range. "Fairly busy" but rumour is that all the usual moorings are booked solid.

eddystone

Visit site
If July is anything to go by August will be very busy.
most good anchorages were packed, the others that are exposed were frequented quite well also.
possibly everyone like myself who cruise abroad hasgiven it a miss (due to this virus) and stayed in home waters. Falmouth will not allow rafting on the pontoons/moorings or at anchor so that has limited the port heavily.
I think fowey is a little more sensible.
Would have thought Fowey has much less capacity.
I didn't realise there were bookable moorings in Falmouth - Harbour Commissioners?

Goldie

Visit site
Falmouth/Carrick Roads and Helford, you will find space to anchor; whether it’s where you want to be is another matter. If you need a marina berth, book ahead or play the lottery!

Scilly is as busy as I’ve seen when I was there a week ago (but we normally avoid July/August so this was unusual for us anyway) but we always found space to anchor. If you have good ground tackle and are happy to use it - potentially away from the popular locations - then you will find space.

Sandy

Visit site
Looked at Cawsands this afternoon totally rammed!

Beginning to thing that most head for the honeypots. Spent a lovely afternoon on Wednesday twixt Lyme Regis and West Bay. One other yacht seen and a few RIBs terrifying fee paying passengers.

chris-s

Visit site
Our boat lives up the Carrick Roads up from Falmouth. There are plenty of anchoring spots up the river if you want somewhere quiet. Up past the past the king Harry ferry, lots of space.

coveman

Visit site
Gillan Creek which is a little inlet at the mouth of the Helford is an often overlooked spot and may fit the bill if you are just looking for a quiet basic anchoring/mooring spot. Operated by Sailaway St Anthony - sheltered except in easterly winds, - maybe worth giving them a call - small chandlery shop also at St Anthony. Sailaway Boat Hire - Helford River - St. Anthony Or as Chris-s indicates up past the King Harry Ferry is a quiet, and beautiful spot.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Falmouth/Carrick Roads and Helford, you will find space to anchor; whether it’s where you want to be is another matter. If you need a marina berth, book ahead or play the lottery!

Scilly is as busy as I’ve seen when I was there a week ago (but we normally avoid July/August so this was unusual for us anyway) but we always found space to anchor. If you have good ground tackle and are happy to use it - potentially away from the popular locations - then you will find space.
Agreed, Scilly was busy last week, but there’s always somewhere to anchor in St Helens pool, and we also found a spot in the cove. Also anchored in the Helford on both sides of the river, and in the Fal. Our favourite place , the pontoons just beyond the King Harry Ferry were busy, but still space available most of the time. Or you can anchor nearby. In Fowey all the buoys were taken, but the harbour folks were then telling anyone to look for an similar sized vessel and check with the skipper if they were happy for you to raft alongside. Seemed very sensible.
So to answer the op, yes, everywhere is busy, and if you must be on a buoy or pontoon, you might be disappointed, but anchoring possible in most places.

robertj

Visit site
I was about to post a query on similar lines, so I’ll work it into this thread

We are about to head off from jersey to Plymouth, then down to Falmouth and then the Scillies, and then back to Falmouth area for a week

Just looked on marine traffic and it looks very very busy ( MT scale always makes it look worse than it is)

I guessed lots of people with boats who never use them decided that this year would be the year to make use of it

So is there any news from those actually on the ground there (or should it be the water? ) about whether there are places to anchor or tie up?

I returned to find someone on my mooring (no problem they were onboard) who left so I could pick up. They asked if I knew of anywhere they could pick a buoy up. I looked at two mooring who I knew were not being used that year. Those were taken up and when I looked at all My usual neighbours I didn’t recognise most of them as those were taken by visitors aswell.
Falmouth is ridiculously busy I’ve never seen it like this, other than the Festivals or trago mills giving pensioner days lol.
I did some boat maintenance this week (as the boat was lifted into the water in a rush) to watch visitor after visitor cruise the moorings to find somewhere. A friend of a friend entered to pick up the only buoy available as all the marinas were full.
I’m usually away abroad cruising so I presume all those like myself are staying in the Uk.
If the Brits return home from France after Brexit I feel it’s going to be absolutely manic here.

eddystone

Visit site
Arriving Fowey Friday late lunchtime no problem getting a mooring but suspect Saturday might have been different. Falmouth may have been heaving but anchorages up the Fal had room.

Bathdave

Visit site
We just arrived in Falmouth yesterday evening from the Yealm. The Yeslm was busy but space could be found, we got into Port Pendennis woth no problem. It’s pretty windy here today and looks la me we’ll be in the area for a few days waiting for a window to go to the ascillies.

Plenty of places to go around the Fal and Truro rovers so hoping we’ll find space up river

robertj

Visit site
I anchored off durgan beach and there were 57 also there anchored. 70 The night before according to one of the neighbouring boaters.
st Mawes was packed too.
I watched crew after crew go ashore to the pubs, supermarket and shops all spending money.

fontmell

Visit site
I anchored off durgan beach and there were 57 also there anchored. 70 The night before according to one of the neighbouring boaters.
st Mawes was packed too.
I watched crew after crew go ashore to the pubs, supermarket and shops all spending money.
Falmouth haven and pendenis both have space now but have been full by 4 most days with later arrivals at anchor or on Bouy waiting for a departure

Helford mobbed many at anchor every day
Scilly very busy

Gelfie

Visit site
Plenty of room to anchor at Falmouth and space in yacht haven late morning. We didn't have a problem and the staff are friendly and helpful. Phone rather than VHF.