Fairwinds' East Atlantic Year

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com

Not sure if we are allowed to post our own books here, if not apologies mods and please remove, but this is now available on Kindle.

Subtitled A 6000 mile cruise in an Albin Vega, or how we didn't cross the pond

We were an ordinary couple with a small boat on the West Coast of Scotland who decided to have a gap year before we got too old. Our plan was to head South from our home port of Balvicar near Oban in Scotland, then cross Biscay from Southern Ireland and cruise down the rias of Spain before crossing to Madeira and the Canaries with a view to an Atlantic circuit if we were feeling brave. In the event we decided to cruise the Canaries for the Winter then return via the Azores, sailing a total distance of just under 6000 miles in 54 weeks.

Not a bad wee read if you like small boat logs. More onshore days than offshore days, but an entertaining enough example of what you can do on a small budget with a tiny bit of imagination and a wee drop of faith in yourself.

Fairwinds' East Atlantic Year: A 6000 mile cruise in an Albin Vega, or how we didn't cross the pond eBook: Nick Bowles: Amazon.co.uk: Kindle Store

- W

Last edited:

A1Sailor

Visit site

Not sure if we are allowed to post our own books here, if not apologies mods and please remove, but this is now available on Kindle.

Subtitled A 6000 mile cruise in an Albin Vega, or how we didn't cross the pond

- W
I would think the Mods will be entirely happy, Webbie. I've just bought a copy - will read it "soon". You've had one 5star rating. Inevitably, having posted a link on here, you'll get a 1star rating from "You Know Who". Perhaps he'll post on Amazon under his real name...;)

SaltIre

Visit site
I agree with A1Sailor. ;)
I'm impressed that repairing the bilge pump and stopping water coming in were part of the pre-departure priorities. "The local swindlery" and "crossing Donald's palm with too much silver" might get you into trouble! :eek:
A few very minor typos - I'll converse with you in due course, Webbie. If you search for "scones" that sentence has an "a a" typo, for example.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Thanks A1 and Saltire. Not too worried about as 1 star review from Mountain - Amazon are pretty good at spotting fake reviews these days.

Am in foreign parts right now, so the final corrections will have to wait until I return.

- W

SaltIre

Visit site
You're most welcome. If I happen to bump into A1 on my travels I'll pass on your thanks to him. I have a sneaking suspicion that he might be able to access this bit of the forum - despite not having a login.
I'll note down other typos as I come across them. One of those that I've found was a mizspellt word - that a spell check wouldn't pick up. Pear/pair for example - but it wasn't that.
I think I'm somewhere off South-East Ireland in the book - so lots of pages to read before finding out if you cross the pond! :D

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Lots of people are reading it, but most are reading it on Kindle Unlimited, which is worth less than £1 per copy.

I guess the answer is to publish it in paperback with lots of foties.

- W

steve yates

Visit site
I had put my kindle down after lockdown, and started reading real books on my bookshelf, as I now had the luxury of time during the day. (ie, instead of reading at night when it has to be kindle or the light on disturbs my wife) so I was halfway through yours. Have been thinking about it the last couple of days and intend to pick it up again tonight, I'm at your wintering in the canaries and am looking forward to the azores trip. I've enjoyed it so far, it feels quite real and relatable when your reading it. I would reccomend it to the forum, there's not many new sailing books come out at all on kindle, so any interesting ones should be encouraged. Will do an amazon review when I finish it.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
I had put my kindle down after lockdown, and started reading real books on my bookshelf, as I now had the luxury of time during the day. (ie, instead of reading at night when it has to be kindle or the light on disturbs my wife) so I was halfway through yours. Have been thinking about it the last couple of days and intend to pick it up again tonight, I'm at your wintering in the canaries and am looking forward to the azores trip. I've enjoyed it so far, it feels quite real and relatable when your reading it. I would reccomend it to the forum, there's not many new sailing books come out at all on kindle, so any interesting ones should be encouraged. Will do an amazon review when I finish it.
Thanks Steve. I apologise for the typos in the First Edition, now rectified but only for new purchasers. (Amazon do not generally make updates available without putting authors through a massive kerfuffle)

- W