Fairline Targa 40?

Argonautical

Visit site
Any owners? Apart from the 'Rat Meister' who may offer some advice please. Looking for a late one, seemingly with anything from Kad 300's up to D-6.

ANy info I need to know?? Our 'Trusty' Expert mechanic tells me with absolute certainty that we must have a D-6 model.

Any experiences? Any Advice?
Cheers Jas. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

djefabs

Visit site
Make sure you get one with the 'voice activated' davits
/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
They really are the mutts nutts (as you know)
/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Sorry Jason, had to be done, its the law /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Argonautical

Visit site
I wnat them Derek.............You know I do, Ian..............it will fit!!!

Sorted, now then onto the serious discussion.
Jas.

Derek, I wont forget that mate, revenge will be sweet! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Mags found it hilarious all over again when she was explaining to 'Mummy' how you got me hook line and sinker!

SolentPhill

Visit site
There is one Moored by the Arun View Littlehampton guy had it for few years now I hear he is selling it. Its in good condition and never uses it

If you get a number for Arun View they should know who it belongs to,

T43

Visit site
Hi Jas ! My recomendation is never buy a boat that has had very little use unless it is under 18 mnths old, the hull & interiors may be lovely but all the mechanicals & electronics suffer far more from lack of use than they do from lots of use with good maintenance. Given the choice I would avoid KAD's, but having said that there now appear to be some inherent problems just starting to appear on early D6's now they have been around a few years.

Why not go for a T43 on shafts for similar money, not quite as fast but a far better ride in rough conditions ( oh ! and I am biased). /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Kipper

North West when I have to, North Wales when I can
Visit site
Underuse is not as much a problem as poor maintenance. Even if a boat has very little use in a season or two as long as it has been well looked after it should be fine.
mate of mine had one with CAD300s and it was a great boat.

Shafts are also very fuel heavy so you have to bear that in mind
Gary

rob1699

www.helmores.com
Hi Jas,

I've owned a string of Targas over the last few years, with the 40 being the one that really fits the bill for me. Speaking as I find, the boat has proved to be a really good "all rounder" and has a little bit of everything (ie garage, sunpad, comfy cockpit with fridge/barbecue/sink etc, and a lovely spacious interior). Its got a real high quality feel especially with the leather and american cherry. Its not too big for me to handle by myself, and is not too bad on the fuel side of things being on drives (I reckon about 2mpg on a run at 25knots). Its not too small for my family (wife plus 2 kids) to have a great 3 week holiday every year to CI's and France and spend many weekends on the marina at torquay. Sure, you can always do with more space but then its all a compromise.

Handling wise its like a big sports car, but it can feel a little light on the bow in rough water. We went around cap de la hague en route from Cherboug to Guernsey in a sizeable sea last year and the boat was just fine (more than can be said for the occupants!!!!!!!).

I have the D6 310's and it gets on the plane effortlessly and with a clean bum will just about hit 38 kts.

Problems have been very few and include knackered domestic batteries (after 3 seasons), leaking seawater filters on volvos, corroding fuel tanks where seawater has entered through engine hatch in rough water, but not much else that I can think of, touch wood.

I think the blue hull is a must for resale, and D6's have more oomph than the kad300's. Garage will take a 2.7m rib and this with a 10hp outboard is great fun.

I was seriously thinking of upgrading to a Phantom 46, but going from 2mpg to 0.7mpg is a sobering thought, especially post november 08........ /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

pm me if you want any more info.

Rob

RogerRat

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Apart from the 'Rat Meister'

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif
/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Argonautical

Visit site
Rog, I am still trying to source a voice activated dinghy winch system, so that if I ever do manage to find a 40, the 'Big Man' will have the smileys wiped off his face!!! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Jas.

RogerRat

Visit site
Hi Chas,
Welcome to the forum. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

And you thought I was bad with bloo lights! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

crunderhay

Visit site
Cheers Jason and Roger!

Jane told me about the forum a while ago so I thought I'd pay it a visit.

Anyway Jason, regarding the voice activated winch; you're better off sticking to your voice activted wench! More versatile!

Cheers

Chas

Argonautical

Visit site
That would be my 'Lucky day' oh learned one!!

You know my Mrs, voice activation from her husband never was her strong point!!!

Youve heard me! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Jas.