Fairline Targa 40 Hinging Radar Arch

dfleminguk

Visit site
I am thinking of purchasing a Fairline Targa 40. The radar arch brings the air draft of the boat just above the limit for the cruising that im wanting to do. I have looked at other boats but particularly like the Targa 40 for various reasons. Has anybody had the radar arch hinged on one of these boats, or similar? and indeed is it even practical to do so? If so can anyone recommend a place that might do this work?

rosssavage

Visit site
My Princess was converted to folding arch by previous owners, so it can be done. I fitted a pair of Bennett hatch lifters and pumps to it, so now it goes up and down at the press of a button. Great for showing off approaching low bridges!

Nick_Pam

Visit site
Loads of Fairlines, Windys and Sunseekers have this modification where we are berthed in Empuriabrava because of the low bridges on the canal....doesn't help you in terms of getting it done, but it proves it can be!!
Just viewed a Portofino 35 with hydraulic rams and a warning buzzer!!!........ /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

goodwin71

Visit site
i was part of a team that fitted a folding arch on a princess 480, which was kept on the shannon in Ireland.
i know western marine power in plymouth recently done a folding arch on a princess 42.

give them a call!

TwoRebels

Visit site
Is it the arch you want to hinge or the radar and light mast? My Targa 38 was supplied with a hinge-down radar and light mast assembly so that we could get under a bridge at the entrance to our marina. EBY did the modification. I'd be concerned about hinging the GRP arch due to the loss of stiffness it provides to the topsides?

Leed

Visit site
I don't know if you've had this done yet but try Elite Marine Services. They've done a couple of these now.

oldgit

Visit site
Chum of mine is in the process of getting this done at this very moment on a 38 ft Fairline .
A basic hinge job with " armstrong" method of up/down appears to be about £1500,a whole heap more if you want some fancy stuff to raise and lower it at the touch of a button.

Timeless 2

Visit site
I’ve hinged the arch on our Fairline 43AC. The arch is heavy so needs a substantial hinge and gas struts to operate. The canopy will probably have to be altered as well. I can pm you photos if your interested

mil1194

www.myitmatters.com
I’ve always wondered what they weigh since I had one removed from my F50 Fly. I only know they used a very substantial telehandler and plenty of straps.

It was definitely hefty and that is a 50T lift

Attachments

• D821141D-1022-4D8E-95F4-E0ED917E14C9.jpeg
    D821141D-1022-4D8E-95F4-E0ED917E14C9.jpeg
    783.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 924E9431-6A12-43C4-BB6B-1C9C6B27CE2F.jpeg
    924E9431-6A12-43C4-BB6B-1C9C6B27CE2F.jpeg
    452.9 KB · Views: 25

DPH

Visit site
I think a number of Cranchis have a hinged radar mast, pretty sure my 39 and 50 did but I believe it was done for transportation from the factory. Once commissioned it's probably meant to stay up but might be worth looking at.

oldgit

Visit site
Just about anything over 35ft on the Thames will have had its radar srch hinged in order to get under the bridges.
All sorts of successful and less successful attempts to achieve this.
Having been involved couple of times and recently done the job myself, a couple of observations.
The arches are usually fibreglass shells and foam filled (sometimes) with various stainless contraptions bolted on, arch alone usually able to be lifted by a couple of fit blokes.
Radar dome and other stuff can add a considerable percentage of total weight in the wrong place.
Calculating hinge size is the problem and deciding its location then securing firmly it to the arch and boat is the challenge.
The heavier construction of the hinge the better.
Do know of one owner who had three goes at hinging an arch, two x DIY "armstrong" attempts before coughing up and finally getting a proper professional job with hydraulics.
The arch merely needs to drop below the flyscreen.
Hinging at the very base looks nicer, half way up the arch less so.
Also remember that you will need to alter flybridge covers etc and can recall a Turbo 36 where it proved almost impossible to get into the saloon with the arch down.