Fairline Fury MK1 restoration/refurb

Nom de plume

Visit site
I didnt notice any bits lying around in the cylinder. I have a B20 marine workshop manual here and it doesnt show any rubber seals for the valves.

That's exactly the bouy that we went around back in the 70's and early 80's between the four different models of the same car ( 3 x 1800S and 1 x 1800ES which was actually a 2 litre fuel injected version) - I cannot remember the detail except that some did use the seals and some did not even though supposedly the same model - it's just a heads-up if upon firing them up you get masses of blue smoke. (y)

waynes world

Visit site
Now then, i have found a AQ115 B20 head.

Anybody know if tis the same head as the AQ130 B20 i have, i am 75% sure it is. Just need to make sure and make an offer if this one is goosed or need to much work.

stelican

Visit site
Volvo had problems with the rear exhaust valve seat rusting out, They bought out a modified head that had a stainless steel valve seat on rear exhaust .
Somewhere on the net this info is available sorry can't help any further.It was either the 115 or 130

stelican

Visit site
In 1980 Volvo Penta published a hardback book titled Volvo Penta Aquamatic boat engine, The author name is Keith Beardshaw
As well as being about the early history of Volvo engine and drives up to the first 40 series diesel it went into great specification detail of all of these.
Unfortunately I have misplaced my copy.
Ther are copies on Amazon

Last edited:

waynes world

Visit site
All good, i have found a head off an AQ115 B20, running engine aswell. BUt jjust going to pop out and see how this exhaust valve seat cleans up.

I know for £100 i mite aswell bgst the other head.

madabouttheboat

Visit site
In 1980 Volvo Penta published a hardback book titled Volvo Penta Aquamatic boat engine, The author name is Keith Beardshaw
As well as being about the early history of Volvo engine and drives up to the first 40 series diesel it went into great specification detail of all of these.
Unfortunately I have misplaced my copy.
Ther are copies on Amazon

I have that book in front of me. Wayne is your AQ130 an A, B, C or D version?

waynes world

Visit site
https://www.volvopentashop.com/volspec/en-GB/Details/PentaPartsCatalog/7736850?path=MarineGasolineEngines/7736850
try here for parts list with lots of answers
if the part number is the same then the part is also
some parts may be superseded but unless so a different part number means a different part
marine parts at that time began with 8 xxxxx later it is 38xxxxxx
I have seen that site, thats where i found the valve seats are no longer made, can get them from America, but after all the faffing getting them fitted its easier cost to get another good head.
But ill keep that in my parts list.

I have that book in front of me. Wayne is your AQ130 an A, B, C or D version?
Twin carb so i think that makes it a AQ130C but it has twin Stroms on but i will be fitting twin Solex 44`s when ne whead goes on. same as the other engine then.

madabouttheboat

Visit site
In the book I am struggling to see any differences between the AQ115A and the AQ130 A and C (the B has a lower compression ratio) (the D is on a different page so will need a bit more cross referencing) In fact, I am wondering where the extra 15hp come from as everything bar the ignition timing set up is the same.

The camshaft, valves and valve gear, exhaust and intake specs are all the same across 115A and 130 A, B & C.

Edit. Ah, I see it now. The 130's are all twin carb to the single carb of the 115.

madabouttheboat

Visit site
Twin carb so i think that makes it a AQ130C but it has twin Stroms on but i will be fitting twin Solex 44`s when ne whead goes on. same as the other engine then.

Looks like all 130s are twin carb.

Edit:

AQ130A was fitted with twin Stromberg 175CDSE
AQ130C and D were fitted with Twin Solex 44PAI

Book doesn't seem to specify what the B version had other than it had twins.

AQ115A had a single Solex 44PAI

Last edited:

waynes world

Visit site
Yes all that sounds same as with my findings. Biggest difference is the CC, so the B18 are 1800cc and the B20 2000cc. The bigger engine s are 2100cc i think.

I was going to buy a pair of running ( unsure how good a condition though ) AQ115 engines but that will prob cost more.

Just waiting for reply about this AQ115 head now, sods law again its down Giilingham so a good 5hr drive away, trying see if he will post it.

waynes world

Visit site
There may be a small brass plate on the block where the starter motor goes that has the actual model number if you are lucky. That's where it was on my B23 Volvo anyway.

Just had a look at both engines but no brass ID plates. As said though, one has the Stroms and the other Solex 44 , i was lucky to get a pair of spare Solex 44 on manifold with the boat aswell.

madabouttheboat

Visit site
All the B20 engines appear to be 1986cc. The B30 are 2979cc. The B23 engines are mostly 2316cc, apart from the 151 (later known as 250) and 171 (later known as 251) which were 2490cc. The B21 based engines, AQ120, AQ140 (maybe others) were 2127cc

madabouttheboat

Visit site
Just had a look at both engines but no brass ID plates. As said though, one has the Stroms and the other Solex 44 , i was lucky to get a pair of spare Solex 44 on manifold with the boat aswell.

Did you look on the curved bit of the block that forms the round hole that the stater bolts into?

It should be here, but you may have to look up from underneath to see it

B20.jpg

madabouttheboat

Visit site
Yes. If original, the book says that 270s were mated to AQ130C. Ds came with 280s and the A and B models came with 100 or 250 drives. Of course it is possible that your Stromberg engine is a replacement and may be an A or B model but I can't see it being a problem apart from the B version only put out 115hp due to its low compression.

waynes world

Visit site
Yes. If original, the book says that 270s were mated to AQ130C. Ds came with 280s and the A and B models came with 100 or 250 drives. Of course it is possible that your Stromberg engine is a replacement and may be an A or B model but I can't see it being a problem apart from the B version only put out 115hp due to its low compression.

Thats how i see it, only difference is the carb set up for more HP. SO both B20 blocks so dame cc. heads same. just carbs differ. drives change i guess due to need for stronger set up for more hp.