Fairline Fury MK1 restoration/refurb

waynes world

Visit site
Here we gooooo :)

Today at last engines are out :)

I had to widen the gantry first to got it around the boat as it was about 50mm to narrow. but doing this also made it higher, so now able to move the gantry over the boat instead of around which would of been a pain in the arse. .

To make it easy to do i used U bolts to hold one end and then welded the other end then slid the U bolted end to the end of the new too RHS beam.

20210314-114317.jpg

20210314-114148.jpg

20210314-113647.jpg

20210314-122211.jpg

then plated the sides to beef it up more and welded in two lengths of 50x6mm bar to make the trolley track

20210410-085709.jpg

20210410-085657.jpg

It didnt take to long to get them out but if we first had the correct angle on the first engine it would of been quicker.

I am still shocked that they are held in place with just six M8 bolts around and no engine mounts but just through the transom.

20210305-152222.jpg

20210410-113537.jpg

20210410-121726.jpg

This is a mate that gave me a hand as still struggling so that was very much appreciated :)

20210410-124227.jpg

I have made a couple of engine stands aswell for them.

20210410-124229.jpg

20210410-152327.jpg

I started to strip down the dodgy engine so i could sort eh stand mounting hole pattern, and found this in the drive plates. Think i need to replace these

20210410-154955.jpg

20210410-155016.jpg

Ill finish tomorrow the stands and then get stripping this one down.

Hey i have a mooring :) :) :) :) incentive now BIG TIME :) :)

waynes world

Visit site
Outstanding work W - one of my favourite boats - hope your mooring is in the Solent area - look forward to seeing her around.

Afraid not it in the Menai Straits North Wales. but i will be moving it about now and then i hope so you never know. Just keep this one as a home mooring.

Nom de plume

Visit site
Just by way of encouragement Wayne, I don't know if you've heard of an American guy called Irv Gordon - he had a Volvo 1800S with the same base engine (B18/20) and is the Guiness world record holder for highest miles on the same engine - Irv passed away in 2018 but the Volvo lives on having done 3.25 Million miles with not much more than oil changes!
I've had two of the 1800S's and one 1800ES (2 Litre estate version) - sweetest little engines ever.
I have a Teal 22 with a B130 in it sat at the bottom of the garden - so I'll leave you to crack on with the voyage of discovery on the engines and then I'll just copy you if that's ok.
Great thread.
https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/3000000-miles-1966-volvo-1800s

Last edited:

waynes world

Visit site
Just by way of encouragement Wayne, I don't know if you've heard of an American guy called Irv Gordon - he had a Volvo 1800S with the same base engine (B18/20) and is the Guiness world record holder for highest miles on the same engine - Irv passed away in 2018 but the Volvo lives on having done 3.25 Million miles with not much more than oil changes!
I've had two of the 1800S's and one 1800ES (2 Litre estate version) - sweetest little engines ever.
I have a Teal 22 with a B130 in it sat at the bottom of the garden - so I'll leave you to crack on with the voyage of discovery on the engines and then I'll just copy you if that's ok.
Great thread.
https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/3000000-miles-1966-volvo-1800s

What a good read that was, thanks. I hope these engines have been looked after, well one as i know one is poorly.

waynes world

Visit site
I couldnt wait so i finished the engine stand and cracked on with the dodgy engine.

From the start i thought it was Hydrolocked and i was right. Only thing that got me thinking otherwise was the solid steel clunk of it when it locked up.

20210411-130152.jpg

20210411-130159.jpg

20210411-144630.jpg

And here we have a bit of a damp cylinder or two.

20210411-145234.jpg

No other damage i can see, engine turns over fine now, no resistance.

20210411-145237.jpg

So as soon as i can ill take the head to be crack tested and see how that goes. Then sort a shopping ;list out for the rebuilds.

vas

Visit site
nice, is the valve embedded in the piston now? nice ornament for the office once sandblasted I recon :)

are that type of spares available for this engine?

waynes world

Visit site
nice, is the valve embedded in the piston now? nice ornament for the office once sandblasted I recon :)

are that type of spares available for this engine?

Morning V. No it was just sat on top. Good idea, mite clean it up and keep as a momento.

All parts are available for these engine, so.e good price some stupid. Like the damper/drive plate. New one around £400, real boaty world price ha ha. Clutches are about £80. I'll shop around for a second hand one. Found one for £150 but don't need it untill engines go back in

scottie

Visit site
Just a couple of points of interest a. Front bearer kit was an option if the hull is suitable
you may be able to get drive pla tes from R&D
depending on which engines you have the the valve gear may be upgraded from the car type as the marine unit’s were tuned in comparison

waynes world

Visit site
lapping these valves will be fun Wayne ?

Going to the acetone and power steering fluid on it tomorrow and see how the head cleans up first. valves will be easier i bet ha ha. stick them in a power drill scotch pad. Just hope i can save the head, valve seats will be needed though.

Mite just give the heads to the machine shop an dill do the rest.

Nom de plume

Visit site
Wayne, just a small point..

Did you find any rubber oil seals on the valve stems (under the springs )? - the reason that I ask is that in 1976 (!!!) I purchased (unseen) a non-running P1800S which was apparently consuming tons of oil just before it finally gave up the ghost and refused to start. I picked it up in Darlington (having started it with a bucketful of ether) and drove it overnight to St. Helens at 20mph using more oil than petrol.

My Dad helped me whip the head off and we discovered that there were no valve stem oil seals (as shown in a newly purchased Haynes manual) - fitted some new seals, started on the button and ran it for 120,000 miles - not bad for a non-runner that I paid £40 for! Might be worth a check - (no idea if the oil seals were fitted to the marine version). Apparently some versions were designed for seals and some not (apologies, it's 45 years ago so memories fade).
I also notice that you have the multi-electrode spark plugs which again were not standard in the early models but which many of us retro-fitted to copy the Alfa's (they did improve things).

waynes world

Visit site
Wayne, just a small point..

Did you find any rubber oil seals on the valve stems (under the springs )? - the reason that I ask is that in 1976 (!!!) I purchased (unseen) a non-running P1800S which was apparently consuming tons of oil just before it finally gave up the ghost and refused to start. I picked it up in Darlington (having started it with a bucketful of ether) and drove it overnight to St. Helens at 20mph using more oil than petrol.

My Dad helped me whip the head off and we discovered that there were no valve stem oil seals (as shown in a newly purchased Haynes manual) - fitted some new seals, started on the button and ran it for 120,000 miles - not bad for a non-runner that I paid £40 for! Might be worth a check - (no idea if the oil seals were fitted to the marine version). Apparently some versions were designed for seals and some not (apologies, it's 45 years ago so memories fade).
I also notice that you have the multi-electrode spark plugs which again were not standard in the early models but which many of us retro-fitted to copy the Alfa's (they did improve things).

I didnt notice any bits lying around in the cylinder. I have a B20 marine workshop manual here and it doesnt show any rubber seals for the valves.