Failed to remove the shaft coupling

Restoration man

Visit site
Maybe it’s the key that was the problem,???poss someone used the wrong size key and started fitting the Coupling got it half on and it jammed and couldn’t get it off ?and thought bugger it and beat it on with a hammer???? , anyway well done ?

Croftie

Visit site
Maybe it’s the key that was the problem,???poss someone used the wrong size key and started fitting the Coupling got it half on and it jammed and couldn’t get it off ?and thought bugger it and beat it on with a hammer???? , anyway well done ?
To be honest I always thought that key looked a little battered. Post #36
Image22.jpg

Lucas Gan

Visit site
I want to buy a new key because the old one damaged. Do you guys know where to buy? I want it made of stainless steel. I only found a store have a brass one.

The size of the key is 7/16 inches square shape, 3 inches long.

Thanks

Lucas Gan

Visit site
New problem!
The starboard side was done with no problems. Now I am working on the port side shaft. The bearing on the propeller end is extremely tight! I am using a pipe wrench, use all my body weight, I can only barely turns it and make it withdraw one inch after half an hour trying! Gearbox side coupling bolts are already discounted and coupling disconnected from the gearbox already. So the only thing holding the shaft is this bearing. I tried soapy water, no use. Then tried PlusGas, no use. Any advice to free it? Many thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20210816_181318420_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210816_181318420_HDR.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_20210816_181253278_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210816_181253278_HDR.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

kashurst

Visit site
Just an idea and a bit counter intuitive:
push the shaft into the boat towards the gearbox as far as it will go. The prop end is tapered and will have more room around it inside the rubber cutlass bearing so should turn much more easily.
This will also expose the section of shaft that was inside the cutlass bearing and you can see what it looks like. As it is so tight, I am guessing there is a mix of corrosion and salts/calcium built up inside making it tight. Once the shaft is exposed and the looser taper section inside the bearing, try spraying brick cleaner (hydrochloric acid) on the surfaces to get off what ever is making it tight. Polish / buff up the exposed area of shaft with some emery cloth to get any gunk off and make it smooth,

Then, polish the entire shaft with emery, lots of soap and pull it out again - hopefully more easily.

If that sounds a bit of a nightmare and/or the shaft wont go back in very far - just try blathering it with brick cleaner amd let it soak in.

edit usually there is an other cutlass style bearing where the shaft goes through the hull - have you had a look at that one?

Last edited:

Lucas Gan

Visit site
Had a look. No any other bearing. The stern tube is 3 inches in diameter which is way bigger than the shaft can even wobble the shaft inside the stern tube. The shaft is very long like around 2.5 meters or more. The shaft propeller taper end won't get into bearing even when the shaft is attached to the gearbox.

Will try the brick cleaner.

kashurst

Visit site
There is a cutlass bearing in the p bracket, try to knock that out with the shaft.
good idea - there are usually a few grub screws holding the bearing in the P bracket. Get them out and it (should) all come out as one. Then carefully cut the cutlass bearing off the shaft.

Lucas Gan

Visit site
No other bearing. I have withdrawn the other shaft before and removed the stuffing box. No other bearing was found. The stern tube is big, I can see through the stern tube gaps from outside.

kashurst

Visit site
No other bearing. I have withdrawn the other shaft before and removed the stuffing box. No other bearing was found. The stern tube is big, I can see through the stern tube gaps from outside.
we might be at cross purposes but the rubber sleeve in the P bracket is a cutlass bearing. It is a rubber surface bonded to a brass tube that is a good fit inside the P bracket. They do come out and need replacing with age/wear. Good opportunity to do it whilst you have it all in bits. They are not expensive either.
Ask the marina people if anyone has a suitable cutlass bearing puller - use that and the shaft and bearing will come out as one.

Last edited:

Lucas Gan

Visit site
I had a look at the shaft came out part from the bearing has a bit worn because of this extremely tight friction. Will this possible cause vibration after replacing a new one?

kashurst

Visit site
Very hard to say. The shaft might clean up OK with some emery paper or it may be too badly scored. You will need a new cutlass bearing anyway - see how well the shaft fits the new one and take a view on how damaged the shaft surface is. Post some pics when you have it out.
Best case no problems, worst case the cutlass bearing will wear quickly. My own experience of worn/loose cutlass bearings is they don't seem to cause vibration - unless you go in reverse. No idea why it makes a difference.

Lucas Gan

Visit site
I just get to the boat now. Found the shaft easier to turn today for no reason. Maybe because today temperature is cooler than yesterday. I managed to move it two more inches in a few minutes today. Now I have enough room to cut the coupling in the engine room. I will try to withdraw the shaft after cutting the coupling. Maybe I can polish the cutlass bearing if I can withdraw the shaft. I heard from YouTube that is a pain to replace the cutlass bearing, especially without the right tool. Trying to avoid.

The boatyard has the bearing remove tools but won't rent or borrow to me. And their technician won't available until next week someday. The problem is my relaunch date is next Monday. I have delayed four weeks already. Hardstanding the whole season.

Attachments

• IMG_20210817_172617582.jpg
    IMG_20210817_172617582.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 50
Last edited: