Experience of Alicante marina

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Thanks Mike-amazing how Man Maths can work! We are hoping to get over to Mallorca this late July/August…any recommendations, and any suggestions on how to try and get a berth booked for a couple of days at the Club de Mar….or are we dreaming??! So far we have always really struggled to get into any marina (particularly Ibiza)-either they won’t take advanced bookings or we phone the day before/that day only to find them always full!!! Whilst we love to anchor, a night or 2 ashore after a few days out on the hook is always nice.

Ibiza is a law unto itself in high season. Visitor berths are like hen's teeth, especially in Ibiza Town, and the cost is ridiculous. FWIW I always found Botafoch slightly easier to get into and the cost more palatable. Similarly the marina on Formentera always seemed slightly easier to get into as well. This was a few years ago but what I used to do at Botafoch was park on their visitor quay and slip whoever looked like the head marinero €50 to get me a berth. Sometimes worked, sometimes didnt. But generally Ibiza is a destination you have to reckon on doing some overnight anchoring if you go any time between June and Sept

I always found visitor berths a bit easier to get in Mallorca. I can't remember ever being turned away from places like Cala d'Or, Soller or Alcudia but again worth phoning to check beforehand. Soller (tram ride up to the old town) and Alcudia (v safe beach next to marina) are good kids destinations. I can't speak for Club de Mar because it was our home port for 4 1/2 seasons and I never had to book a visitor berth there but the office people always seemed friendly and accommodating. Dont forget there is also Marina Port de Mallorca and Club Nautico in Palma as well. The former is OK but a bit subject to swell from traffic in the harbour and the latter was a bit down at heel when I was in Mallorca (maybe its been tarted up now) but its location is great, just across the road from Palma old town where most of the restaurants and bars are located

I would say, if you want to be sure of getting berths, plan a trip and book the berths well in advance if you can. No harm in doing that because you can always cancel if you need to

Hooligan

Visit site
Ibiza is a law unto itself in high season. Visitor berths are like hen's teeth, especially in Ibiza Town, and the cost is ridiculous. FWIW I always found Botafoch slightly easier to get into and the cost more palatable. Similarly the marina on Formentera always seemed slightly easier to get into as well. This was a few years ago but what I used to do at Botafoch was park on their visitor quay and slip whoever looked like the head marinero €50 to get me a berth. Sometimes worked, sometimes didnt. But generally Ibiza is a destination you have to reckon on doing some overnight anchoring if you go any time between June and Sept

I always found visitor berths a bit easier to get in Mallorca. I can't remember ever being turned away from places like Cala d'Or, Soller or Alcudia but again worth phoning to check beforehand. Soller (tram ride up to the old town) and Alcudia (v safe beach next to marina) are good kids destinations. I can't speak for Club de Mar because it was our home port for 4 1/2 seasons and I never had to book a visitor berth there but the office people always seemed friendly and accommodating. Dont forget there is also Marina Port de Mallorca and Club Nautico in Palma as well. The former is OK but a bit subject to swell from traffic in the harbour and the latter was a bit down at heel when I was in Mallorca (maybe its been tarted up now) but its location is great, just across the road from Palma old town where most of the restaurants and bars are located

I would say, if you want to be sure of getting berths, plan a trip and book the berths well in advance if you can. No harm in doing that because you can always cancel if you need to
We used to go to Ibiza a lot from our base in Menorca. The easiest marina we found was Sta Eulalia where we were able to book in advance quite easily and we always found it efficient and friendly. San Antonio we found difficult to get responses and frankly IMHO it is a dump. This meant trips to Ibiza usually on the hook unless you have a card with a lot of credit limit and wanted to go to Ibiza Town!! In Mallorca we never had an issue getting in the marina in Andratz although we always tried to get a buoy there if possible as much cheaper and more pleasant. Echo sentiments of Soller as well. Our experience in Palma was forget trying Club de Mar and we generally only had luck at Club Nautico which is fine except that you do get the swell a bit.

Peterlewis321

Visit site
@Peterlewis321 do you know if there is anywhere in the Denia area where boats can be stored ashore, preferably undercover in a shed? Would A&P know?
Will depend on the size of boat-have seen quite a few ‘covered’ (but open sided) boat stores around Denia/Javea/Moraira area but from what I can tell these look suitable only for trailorable dayboat types. But ask A&P Marine as they look after boats of all shape/sizes and know what services are available all along the coast. They work Saturday mornings and if you email Amanda on amanda@apmarinecb.com you might get a quick response (although I do know they are extremely busy at the moment with a lot of people wanting their boats prepped now things are looking more optimistic for the summer!!).

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Will depend on the size of boat-have seen quite a few ‘covered’ (but open sided) boat stores around Denia/Javea/Moraira area but from what I can tell these look suitable only for trailorable dayboat types. But ask A&P Marine as they look after boats of all shape/sizes and know what services are available all along the coast. They work Saturday mornings and if you email Amanda on amanda@apmarinecb.com you might get a quick response (although I do know they are extremely busy at the moment with a lot of people wanting their boats prepped now things are looking more optimistic for the summer!!).
Thanks Peter, I'll get in touch with them. Chances are we won't need it but just interested in options should Covid continue to blight us.

Pete

John100156

Visit site
We took a couple of F43's into Club de Vela, Port d'Andratx a few years ago, mid-June, booked in advance and had a great time. A bus starts at the marina gates that takes you into the bus station in Palma, a few hundred yards from the Old Orange Train station referred to above that train takes you into Soller, a great day out. We ate out in Adratx, but also in the marina restaurant that was very good, when we visited.

Only stopped a night in Alicante, marina seems OK and staff were pleasant. We arrived late and stopped to refuel and asked if we could stay on the fuel berth for the night, as we were leaving early the next morning (we were en route from Gib to Sant Carles), they throwned a bit but let us. Denia we found was very good and also Moraira.

I quite like Juan Carles-I in Valencia too, been down there a few times quite reasonable I thought.

petem

We took a couple of F43's into Club de Vela, Port d'Andratx a few years ago, mid-June, booked in advance and had a great time. A bus starts at the marina gates that takes you into the bus station in Palma, a few hundred yards from the Old Orange Train station referred to above that train takes you into Soller, a great day out. We ate out in Adratx, but also in the marina restaurant that was very good, when we visited.

Only stopped a night in Alicante, marina seems OK and staff were pleasant. We arrived late and stopped to refuel and asked if we could stay on the fuel berth for the night, as we were leaving early the next morning (we were en route from Gib to Sant Carles), they throwned a bit but let us. Denia we found was very good and also Moraira.

I quite like Juan Carles-I in Valencia too, been down there a few times quite reasonable I thought.
@Peterlewis321 can visiting boats use the pool at Denia marina?

Peterlewis321

Visit site
@Peterlewis321 can visiting boats use the pool at Denia marina?
There is no pool at Marina de Denia per say. But there is one in ‘Zensa’ which is a beach club located in the main marina building (on the roof in fact). It is free to get in, and drinks/food are not too extortionate. Open cMay to end September. Can be some interesting sights up there and I would say past 5pm is perhaps not too kid friendly (and no kids allowed Saturday and Sunday) but great people watching!

petem

There is no pool at Marina de Denia per say. But there is one in ‘Zensa’ which is a beach club located in the main marina building (on the roof in fact). It is free to get in, and drinks/food are not too extortionate. Open cMay to end September. Can be some interesting sights up there and I would say past 5pm is perhaps not too kid friendly (and no kids allowed Saturday and Sunday) but great people watching!
Thanks, I shall remember to pack my thong!

petem

@Peterlewis321 you wouldn't happen to know how to get a visitor's berth in Javier would you? I can't find a website for the port or instructions etc where to tie up before being assigned a berth.

Sticky Fingers

Visit site

Peterlewis321

Visit site
@Peterlewis321 you wouldn't happen to know how to get a visitor's berth in Javier would you? I can't find a website for the port or instructions etc where to tie up before being assigned a berth.
I’ve never stayed at Javier to be honest. But if I did I’d either phone in advance, or just turn up and call them on VHF, or tie up on the fuel pontoon and then make enquiries.

Goodroaming

Visit site
I dont want to be argumentative but I have the opposite view of Denia. Yes it is midway between Alicante and Valencia airports but it is about 1 1/2hrs drive from either and thats the last thing you want after a delayed flight from the UK with kids in tow. Yes it is about as close as you can get on the mainland to the Balearics but IMHO the local cruising is limited. North there is nothing but flat coastline. OK south the coastline gets a bit more interesting but there arent any anchorages which are truly sheltered from all wind directions. And talking about the wind, the prevailing wind seems to be mostly easterly which is augmented by afternoon sea breezes which makes cruising along that coastline quite lumpy. Often when we cruised to Ibiza from Denia, we'd start back from Ibiza in a flat calm and arrive off the coast at Denia in half a gale. I've got no proof of this but also IMHO Denia has its own microclimate. We'd often see thunderclouds over Denia but clear to the north and south

Yes Denia marina is excellent and the town has a number of good restaurants including a v good steak restaurant who's name escapes me. We had one and half seasons in Denia but on one of our cruises to Majorca we docked in Palma and literally never went back to Denia
Appreciate the detail regarding winds etc! Slightly diff ques but you seem to be in the know, what Spainish Coastal town would you overwinter with a live aboard community?

kashurst

Visit site
Appreciate the detail regarding winds etc! Slightly diff ques but you seem to be in the know, what Spainish Coastal town would you overwinter with a live aboard community?
Sorry there will be no repy from Deleted User - he has left the forum. If you want to overwinter in a Spanish mainland marina with liveaboards look at Denia, Calpe,Altea,Torrevieja, maybe Alicante.