Expensive diesel on the river

normskib

Visit site
For the award of the most expensive diesel on the River Thames I would like to nominate Bourn End Marina there charging £1.60 per Ltr and just for good measure I was quoted £30. For The use of a single pump out !!! So that’s my nomination unless of course you have a more promising candidate.

Robih

Boat - West Scotland, Home - Tamar, Devon
Visit site
For the award of the most expensive diesel on the River Thames I would like to nominate Bourn End Marina there charging £1.60 per Ltr and just for good measure I was quoted £30. For The use of a single pump out !!! So that’s my nomination unless of course you have a more promising candidate.
I’d be delighted at that, it’s over £2/l at some coastal marinas.

Time Out

Visit site
I filled up at Shepperton on Sunday. First time diesel boat owner. No idea how much it actually was per litre !

All I do know is that it was cheaper than the car ;)

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Interesting to know how much Better Boating is charging. They always seem to be able to just sell you red diesel rather than getting all het up about the ratio thing.

Which is good. Don't know how much they are as have not been past Reading yet this year.

Robih

Boat - West Scotland, Home - Tamar, Devon
Visit site
I only know my days of seagoing at 20 plus knots are over for a while.
It'll be 8-10 when we venture out in June !
You’ll need a waterline length of 55ft to have a hull speed of 10kts. Anything over hull speed will burn fuel at an alarming rate until you’re up on the plane. Semi-displacement pours a lot of energy in to creating a big wake. There’s a useful hull speed calculator here: Hull Speed Calculator — Optimal Vessel Speed

Mark26

Visit site
That was a useful link Robih, thank you.

Mine cruises at 6 kts happily all day. It will do 7 but I don’t like to, because of the noise, and the fuel consumption doubles.

Your calculator says mine has a hull speed of 7.23kts

Portland Billy

Visit site
Thanks robin.
From previous trips it I reckon my hull speed is just over 8 and I can squeeze 10 with a good tide.
I know it reduces my consumption by 75 percent.

oldgit

Visit site
Ahh so that’s how much I paid ! Thank you ;) like the car I never look. If you need fuel you need fuel.

That said I’m not burning gallons with the boat.

Average garage here seems to be £1.83p for road diesel. Cheapest was ASDA at £177.6p

oldgit

Visit site
Talking to chap who has just purchased a Beneteau 10.80 and bought it back round from the Solent to the Mudway .Average cost appears to be around £1.80 60/40 a litre on couple of fill ups on the way back to civilisation.