Expand Ostende 2007?

D3B

www.cutting-solutions.co.uk
Re: Expand Oostende 2007?

so i do the usual

arrive at 30 kts /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
apply the brakes /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
hoping swmbo doesnt tip over the bow /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
shout loudly at her to throw the rope to someone...anyone on the pontoon /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
scream shes done it wrong again! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
attend to the warps myself /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
ask for an estimate for the gel coat repairs /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

go to the bar for a beer. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

hope someone has a good video camera to record all this /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

sailorman

Visit site

slightly wrong order Doug
/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
apart from that perfection /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

go to the bar for a beer. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ask for an estimate for the gel coat repairs

/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com

If that's your approach maybe the Mercator Marina is the right place for you after all
/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

FullCircle

Visit site
Tiddler? Tiddler???
I had 2 boats before getting my big boat Evo25!!
You want to try it in a Corribee Clive!
I am sure that Guapa can sling you in his davits, therefore the weekend will cost you bugger all.

jezjez

Visit site

my rotten internet connection disappeared just when i was getting so much help!
In relation to the night time section of the crossing:
I'm roughly imagining a 16 - 20 hour passage time (?)
What's the forum prefer for it's night sailing section - Harwich - the TSS - or other, or is the tide simply more important?
I can imagine being most comfortable to navigate out of harwich in the dark and try to arrive in plenty of daylight - but is that the most sensible? I'm just thinking at least i'll recognise a few things as the ship goes down...
Secondly, i know you're going to think i'm a moron but when you say arrive "up-tide" you mean either ebbing or flooding - just be north of a flood and south of an ebb once you're on the Belgium coast so that you're not punching into it. Or is there a need for a rising tide into Ostend - i didn't see anything obvious on the chart.

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com

16 hrs is possible, 20hrs is very pessimistic.... i'd plan for more like 12 or 14.... but obviously depends upon your normal passage making speed....

As for nightime sailing.... yes, preferable to do your home waters in the dark rather than an unfamiliar destination port if at all possible...

But in this case, IMHO, the most important factor is to time your crossing so that you are crossing the TSS, in particular Sandettie, in daylight...

We leave around midnight, tides permitting, aiming to hit the TSS early morning, and arrive on the Belgian or Dutch coast in the afternoon....

Good advice given to me, was to try and time your arrival at Sandettie so that its not just on the turn of the tide.... many large vessels will anchor up at Sandettie junction waiting for the tide to turn to assist their passage, and it can be busy for a while shortly after the tide has turned.... saying that.... last time we went through there, we didn't see a single vessel in the TSS.... so its far from a big issue to worry about.

Spot on for the tide arrivals.... basically they mean, don't arrive in a position where you have to plug into the tide to reach the harbour entrance.... you can enter Oostende at any state of tide, ebbing or flooding... only conditions to be wary of are strong NW winds creating a big swell in the entrance channel, but even then its got to be extreme.... we left last year in 25+kts, and it was a bit lumpy, but not overly dangerous....

sailorman

Visit site

A Wing 25 being a bit short on the water line, imho, will at best take 16 1/2 hrs proberbly 18 hrs . always arrive as you stated [Secondly, i know you're going to think i'm a moron but when you say arrive "up-tide" you mean either ebbing or flooding - just be north of a flood and south of an ebb once you're on the Belgium coast so that you're not punching into it. ].
access is at any state of the tide but strong on shore winds need care. there is also quite a strong cross tide @ the Pr Hds
for a first crossing arrive say 3 hrs after first light, this will give visual on the entrance, the first thing that will appear is the " Block of Flats" visual @ 10 mls + dont be tempted to steer for it or the tide will stuff you, keep to the course to keep you up tide

jezjez

Visit site

I'm sad to say that i'm a bit nervous to do this trip in my wing 25. I have been thinking of either buying something 27-29 or going in my sister's Southerly 115 (she looks down on me from up there, you know).
I spoke to very helpful david at tollesbury who went on the say he knew a chap about to set sail for the Azores in his Wing 25, so that made me feel a bit of a woose (spelling?) for being nervous of the north sea in comaprison but she is quite low in freeboard for anything lumpy, although long keel and compact etc. and muich as i admire the effort i'm no shrimpy.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com

German couple (mr, mrs & toddler) did a circumnavigation in an Etap 21 a couple of years ago.

If conditions allow, there's no reason why your crossing should be anything more than a very long daysail

Sixpence

Visit site

I would imagine they had a lot more experience than me , but I'm hoping to start the remedy soon

With any luck I'll be picking up the Debutante on the 24th , fingers crossed she'll be ok to chuck straight in , but I'll have a few doing checks with me first

Your comments make me feel a lot better about doing it though

Other threads that may be of interest