Exercise

Paulg25

Visit site
When I came out of hospital I was given exercises to do to strengthen legs. Have been doing every day but legs ache like hell. Should I give then a rest for a day ?
Not an expert but shouldn't you let muscles recover between exercise?
I'd have a day off. :)

elton

www.boatit.co.uk
Do them every second day. Let the muscles recover. There's no need to daily exercise the same muscles unless you're training for an athletic competition.

rubberduck

www.atlas-courier-express.co.uk
My Wife is GP referred personal trainer. It would mean you divulging a bit more info, but I'm sure she could advise.

Sent email, pm would allow more tan 400 odd characters so here is the rest.

Been through a long haul which ended in being in wheelchair most of the time. Spent three weeks in London clinic during which a professor Pereira managed to do what many have tried & failed due to my unusual anatomy after many opps, being to endoscopicaly place a stent in my pancreatic duct. Am on parental nutrician but am slowly starting food again, soup, tried a bit of bread with it today. Exercises for legs are stand & lift knee as high as poss, count to 3 then down & same with other leg, 20 sets.
Lift onto balls of foot again 20 sets
Raise foot backwards as close to bum both legs (not at same time:)) again 20 sets
also walking on treadmill 2 or 3 times a day.

Last edited:

bluetooth

Visit site
Evening
As someone with some medical knowledge, having played sport and trained to a pretty high level (albeit many years ago) and to have also been fed parentally TPN after an operation i'd say try and do what you can each day but be guided by your body .
Its exercise that has been prescribed not a training regime and is aimed at increasing mobility and getting the muscles moving again. Did the physio not give any advice sheets ? Im sure you could contact them to check.
The biggest issue (that i found) was the surgical scar sites that get pulled/stretched once you start moving.
Make sure you are not over doing the exercises; maybe you are over stretching the atrophied muscle fibres rather than thinking you are over exercising getting lactic acid build up. The fibres will be weakened from inactivity and just need to get going again.

Less is more springs to mind and then go from there.
Hope this helps,
Simon

Orthop

Visit site
Read # 7 a bit late. Where is your pain? What character? Pain only during exercise ? Also during the night ?

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Exercises for legs are stand & lift knee as high as poss, count to 3 then down & same with other leg, 20 sets.
Lift onto balls of foot again 20 sets
Raise foot backwards as close to bum both legs (not at same time:)) again 20 sets
also walking on treadmill 2 or 3 times a day.

I'm no expert but we have been seeing a personal trainer twice a week for over 10yrs. I'm surprised at the number of repetitions you've been given, particularly as this is a rehab regime. Are you sure they said 20 sets (reps) per session or 20 over a period of a day? I'm not surprised your legs are aching:) Perhaps you should be doing fewer reps every day or have a day's rest in between exercise days

You might consider a sports massage on your legs as well

rubberduck

www.atlas-courier-express.co.uk
I'm no expert but we have been seeing a personal trainer twice a week for over 10yrs. I'm surprised at the number of repetitions you've been given, particularly as this is a rehab regime. Are you sure they said 20 sets (reps) per session or 20 over a period of a day? I'm not surprised your legs are aching:) Perhaps you should be doing fewer reps every day or have a day's rest in between exercise days

You might consider a sports massage on your legs as well

They wanted 20 in the clinic but i could only manage 10, am now able to do 20, think I will have break days..

diehard

Visit site
Good to have the surgery behind you rd. Double check the rehab instructions you were given. Too much too soon is not a good idea. Your body will tell you if you are overdoing it. Walking is probably the most natural form of rehab. Start easy and gradually build it up. Good luck

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Nice to hear you on here RD , keep us all updated on your progress, this forum doesn’t have to be all about boats and there problems .

Stay safe everyone.