Event off?

BrendanS

Visit site
It seems we cannot get anywhere near the £20sih a head we've done previously. The cost is likely to be over £40 a head before taking MDL's generous contribution, which would bring it nearer £35 a head, which seems excessive for a buffet type meal. Any comments or ideas?

sarabande

Visit site
Is there anywhere / anyone nearby willing to host a private meeting / BBQ where we all bring something to eat and drink and share the preparation and cleanup ?

Nick_H

www.ybw-boatsforsale.com
Is it the cost of the food that's the problem? If so, and you think the £35 a head would put too many people off, then my suggestion would be to make the food more basic. I'd have thought the event is more about drink and company, than food, anyway.

Edit: maybe use off site caterers rather than the on site restaurant, if their price is too high. Easy to find in Yellow pages, and as I say, the quality of the food isn't critical to the event IMO.

I know how much hassle it is to organise things like this, so well done so far!

BrendanS

Visit site
It's primarily the cost of the marquee, hire of chairs and tables, cutlery, glasses, staff etc. The food can be made more basic, but the fixed costs don't come down. The marquee alone is coming to over £2000.

We can't use the restuarant, as that would mean closing it to other users, and that doesn't seem to be an option.

Nick_H

www.ybw-boatsforsale.com
Well, you've done the hard work in getting 100 people to get a date in the diary, so it would be a shame to call it off completely. If all else fails, make it a muster, and forget the marquee, or just have a small marquee with a bar. If anyone complains, ask them to organise the next one.

lenseman

www.dswmarineengineering.com
Have you tried the local Scout Association for the renting of a large marquee?

They have moved in on this market and you might find a Scout Group who has one that would be suitable at a lesser cost?

£2,000 does seem rather a large sum for technically just a weekend and I do appreciate that it has to be erected and dismantled afterwards. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Vanilla

Visit site
Really sorry to read this Brendan as you've put such a lot of effort into it. I don't know Mercury but if there's only about 100 of us, could we not just meet in the bar without a marquee and buy our own food/drinks? Sorry if this is a stupid suggestion but I don't know the set up/space or facilities available there.

ebbtide

N/A
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I wonder if The Bugle (downstream) or The Jolly Sailor (upstream) or even The Spinnaker (even further upstream) could handle 100 visitors?

[/ QUOTE ]

Plus the Ferry Restaurant in Deacons Boatyard, Riverside Chinese on the main road, the bistro in Swanwick Marina (renamed Velsheda?) while nearby is The Old Ship.

The Jolly Sailor doesn't take bookings (circumvented by sending an an advance party to grab places) but have reserved in the Chinese.

Malcb

www.virgo-owners.org
Brendan, I know from experience that you have worked bloody hard to get to this stage.

However, is it possible, within 20 days, to sort out/finalise the venue/menu/costings, get all the money in (possible allowing that 10% won't respond), and forumites arrange any overnight accommodation (if not coming by boat)?

Personally, I think that we are fast running out of time.

KevB

Visit site
Hi Brendan,

If all else fails lets have a pontoon party. Everyone brings a bit of food and drink and sticks it on some tables setup along the pontoon/shore. If it's raining we'll move it onto various boats. Would work if we can get a few of us taking boats near to each other in the marina?

Kevin.

maybh1

Visit site
Good Idea /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

We have had 26 on our boat for a party before now /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

All we need is 4 traders all in a row /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

May
xx

FullCircle

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Good Idea /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

We have had 26 on our boat for a party before now /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

All we need is 4 traders all in a row /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

May
xx

[/ QUOTE ]

We have fed 17 simultaneously on Full Circle with 3 different curries, rice, fresh pops and Naans. The bottle count was also significant.

Is there no location where we can set up a load of BBQs and just mill about having a laugh?

KevB

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Is there no location where we can set up a load of BBQs and just mill about having a laugh?

[/ QUOTE ]

If Brendan has trouble getting a Marquee I'd definitely be up for just turning up with a bbq and sharing my burnt offerings.

Looks like there is plenty of open space if all else fails

Mercury.jpg

Other threads that may be of interest