• REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as YBW, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health and liberty is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Users who are found to promulgate FAKE NEWS on the forum in regard to this issue, intentional or otherwise, may find their access terminated. It is your responsibility to provide references to bona fide sources.

FAKE NEWS, in this regard, is that which is posited by organisations, media, etc., that is repeated on the forum, or used to support personal opinion/hypothesis posted by users - FAKE NEWS is not necessarily the personal opinion/hypothesis being posted in itself, any issues with such should be challenged respectfully.

Eurostar - luggage size

Talulah

I have four piano hinges 1.86m long. Does anyone think this will be a problem on the Eurostar from London to Paris?
Thank you in advance.

dom

Click on this link, then "Extra Luggage", then "Euro Despatch"

Luggage allowances | Eurostar

However, note that the service is not currently operating because of Covid-19. Worth a call to them but doesn't look good.

michael_w

Pack them in a length of UPVC waste pipe from your local plumber's merchant. I once took a set of mainsail battens on a flight to Florida packed the same way.

Talulah

Eurostar seems like a dead loss. Now RyanAir has max dimensions for checked baggage as 810 x 1190 x 1190. A bit of pythagoras and I work out corner to diagonally opposite corner is 1860. So I could go that way. Which is cheaper than Eurostar. But what do I make this box out of?

stuey_two

Eurostar seems like a dead loss. Now RyanAir has max dimensions for checked baggage as 810 x 1190 x 1190. A bit of pythagoras and I work out corner to diagonally opposite corner is 1860. So I could go that way. Which is cheaper than Eurostar. But what do I make this box out of?
You could send it by UPS, £53 for 190x5x5 parc el

John the kiwi

option one pack in tube as suggested and brazen it out. Staff generally aren't looking for an argument so if you have something that is slightly out of letter of law dimensions, but obviously not awkward, difficult to handle, heavy or dangerous you may be ok.
Option two: cut each hinge in half! does your application really need 1.8 metre continuous hinge? If you cut them in half with a 1 mm thick cut off disk , then install carefully and neatly with the cut edges butted together, an observer would have to look really closely to see that they were in fact in two pieces. Functionality is unlikely to be compromised..