EU Travel post Brexit

Visit site
This is a discussion about the limitations brought on sailors by a political decision in which a lie on a bus played quite a memorable part. Until then, I could sail when and where I wanted in Europe. Them's just facts.
THIS WAS NOT about a political decision but you wanted to be a bore yet again and that is another fact. Never mind a bus, those of us who prefer meaningful conversations would be happier if you were to ge off your hobbyhorse and onto your bike.

Last edited:

newtothis

Visit site
THIS WAS NOT about a political decision but you wanted to be a bore yet again and that is another fact. Never mind a bus, those of us who prefer meaningful conversations would be happier if you were to ge off your hobbyhorse and onto your bike.

Fragile lot aren't you. I just made a point that I used to be able to sail in Europe unencumbered on a thread about sailing in Europe after Brexit. Find it a bit funny that two people who identify as living in Europe for some or all of the time are so touchy about this.

syvictoria

Visit site
The second statement (in isolation as above - I haven't read the wider context) will result in a different outcome depending upon the distribution of the 90 days within the last 180. It isn't necessary to take the 90 days in one lump. The rule is, count bank 180 days and if you have been in the Schengen for 90 days, you can't come back in (without an additional visa, etc.).

Unless you have as second passport, I am not sure an additional visa will get around the 90/180 day Schengen Rule. Additionally, you would have to leave the Schengen Zone on or before the end of the first 80 day period; otherwise your would have be seen to have broken the 90/180 day rule so not be let back in. As most of us have only one passport, all a bit academic.

Imagine that you visited for 30 days, left for 60 days, came back for a further 60 and then left again for 30 days. That would be 90 out of 180 days. The very next day, the rolling nature of the rule would mean that your first stay (for the purpose of the calculation - i.e.: within the 180 day window) was now only 29 days, and hence 89/180 and so you could now come back into Schengen for 1 day.

Agree

If the distribution of previous visits was reversed, so 30 days absent, 60 in, 60 out and 30 in (90 days in 150 days), then the rolling forward would remove one day when you were out of the Schengen and it wouldn't therefore create any further allowance.✔ You would still already have spent 90 in the last 180 days. ( ❌ 90 days in 150 days) You would need to wait for the 180 day window to roll forward 30 days you would start to gain further allowance to return. ❌

90 days in 150 days so you wouldn't be able to return for at least 30 days, when you would start to amortize your first 60 days.

As the clock only starts when you first arrive in Schengenland, your first 30 days are not part of the calculation.

MY BRAIN HURTS - RESIDENCIA IS THE ANSWER< WHATEVER THE QUESTION.

The visa suggestion is (I think?) somewhat hypothetical at the moment as I don't think we quite know what (if anything) is going to be on offer yet, do we? I only mentioned it because otherwise someone else would have replied suggesting that a visa might provide possibilities of an extension!

As for your 'marking' of my explanation, you have marked it as incorrect, but then said essentially the same as me by way of a correction! It's a 180 day window, whichever way you look at it. You can ignore the initial absentee days (90/150 instead of 90/180) but it doesn't make the end result any different - you still have to wait 30 days before you can return.

(BTW, are you on commission for Portuguese residency!!!!????)

nortada

Visit site
This is a discussion about the limitations brought on sailors by a political decision in which a lie on a bus played quite a memorable part. Until then, I could sail when and where I wanted in Europe. Them's just facts.

May be, may be not but this forum is about Brits sailing overseas and liveaboards helping each other. There is another place for who wish to have political debate.

Unfortunately, politics distort sensible discussion and lead to thread drift.

Oh dear! My thread drift, guilty as charged. ;)

Last edited:

nortada

Visit site
The visa suggestion is (I think?) somewhat hypothetical at the moment as I don't think we quite know what (if anything) is going to be on offer yet, do we? I only mentioned it because otherwise someone else would have replied suggesting that a visa might provide possibilities of an extension!

As for your 'marking' of my explanation, you have marked it as incorrect, but then said essentially the same as me by way of a correction! It's a 180 day window, whichever way you look at it. You can ignore the initial absentee days (90/150 instead of 90/180) but it doesn't make the end result any different - you still have to wait 30 days before you can return.

(BTW, are you on commission for Portuguese residency!!!!????)

Wasn’t marking, just the easiest way to respond to your interesting contribution.

Commission for Portuguese Residency❓I wish ‼️

No, after a lot of research and tons of help from a number of regulars in LL, happened upon Portuguese Residency as a relatively simple way to get around some of the major problems of freedom of movement post Brexit.

A chance too good to be missed so sharing the information with others.

Ningaloo

Northern summers on Primal otherwise Perth WA
yacht-primal.com
Pity you had to introduce an irrelevant political bias it to your message. Wrong place.:(
I what world is our loss of EU "citizenship" and thus loss of our existing rights to travel, work, study in 27 other countries NOT a result of the political decisions made by David Cameron to appease his unruly backbenchers?
Nothing to do with the good of the country... just the Conservative party.
I have always crossed the Channel to St Vaast. No longer possible as it is not a recognised point of entry. Want to visit Alderney before heading on to Dielette? No longer possible without backtracking to Cherbourg to register your entry in EU. Casual weekend trips to France are finished.

Last edited:

nortada

Visit site
I what world is our loss of EU "citizenship" and thus loss of our existing rights to travel, work, study in 27 other countries NOT a result of the political decisions made by David Cameron to appease his unruly backbenchers?
Nothing to do with the good of the country... just the Conservative party.

You really don't get it - this is not a political forum.

Ningaloo

Northern summers on Primal otherwise Perth WA
yacht-primal.com
You really don't get it - this is not a political forum.
Maybe not, but the topic under discussion IS a result of a political decision. You dismiss the politics as irrelevant and yet the political decisions are the only reason this discussion is taking place.
Discussions about your choice of anchor may not be political... Anything related to visas or rights/conditions of entry of entry is.

nortada

Visit site
Maybe not, but the topic under discussion IS a result of a political decision. You dismiss the politics as irrelevant and yet the political decisions are the only reason this discussion is taking place.
Discussions about your choice of anchor may not be political... Anything related to visas or rights/conditions of entry of entry is.

This thread investigates EU Travel Post Brexit - nothing political in that. Rather a discussion initiated by the OP, who established some facts after direct contact with the EU and how the EU ruling will work in practice.

In this context, politics are totally irrelevant and are not why this discussion is taking place.

Choice of anchor? A classic example of an attempt at thread drift‼?

As said before, you are in the wrong forum.

newtothis

Visit site
This thread investigates EU Travel Post Brexit - nothing political in that. Rather a discussion initiated by the OP, who established some facts after direct contact with the EU and how the EU ruling will work in practice.

In this context, politics are totally irrelevant and are not why this discussion is taking place.

Choice of anchor? A classic example of an attempt at thread drift‼?

As said before, you are in the wrong forum.

But it is okay for you to launch a political thread? Which is also about travelling to Europe. Not seeing a lot of consistency here.

See Boris has introduced air bridges so that UK tourists can holiday abroad, without doing 14 days quarantine on their return.

Is this concession just for the bucket and spade brigade on package holidays, or will these air bridges be available to those who do not use a holiday company but tour under their own steam (back-packers, campers, caravans, motorhomes, even boats)❓

Will Brits abroad, wishing to return to the UK, be able to use these air bridges❓

How will they and foreign tourists to the UK provide a contact address❓

Because of the Covid spike in Lisbon (hundreds of miles from Faro and the Algarve holiday centres), there is doubt about an air bridge to The Algarve. Remind me how many deaths in the Algarve yesterday (0); how many deaths in the UK (186)‼

After 6 deaths on Thursday, parts of Lisbon (population1/2 million) are in full lockdown but surprisingly there is no quarantine at Lisbon airport. Nevertheless, unlike the UK, Portugal has demonstrated it knows how to control and contain Covid19.

Unfortunately, continuing antics by some in the UK makes a second wave in the UK very likely in the coming weeks so possibly the holiday destinations will follows Greece’s lead and ban travel from the UK and concentrate their holiday markets on safer parts of Europe and the world❓

Air bridges - another half arsed plan from a hopeless government, attempting to boost the UK holiday trade.?

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
But it is okay for you to launch a political thread? Which is also about travelling to Europe. Not seeing a lot of consistency here.

I fail to see what politics have to do with this discussion and many others. I started this thread so those interested could see the implications for the future.

What effect post B restrictions have for us IS relevant but NOT whether the B decision was good or bad or, who could have done a better negotiating job, that's a separate discussion for the lounge.

nortada

Visit site

As you well know, as I admitted I posted the Air-bridge thread in Scuttlebutt, in error so then requested the Moderators to move it to a more appropriate forum. Which they did - Current Affairs.

So why do you resurrect it here in LL?

nortada

Visit site
For a bunch who don't like talking about politics, you're sure getting some mileage from a quip about a lie on a bus.

Got to give it to you, you are persistent (pain in the arse).

As to your 'quip about a lie on the bus', you raised it initially and so far as I can see, no body else has commented on it.

But I commend you on completely diverting this thread from it's original purpose.

Teachers calling, so why not poke off back to the kindergarten and play with your other friends. Leaving the adults to try and sort out the best course of action for those over seas post the Transition Period.

Last edited:

newtothis

Visit site
As you well know, as I admitted I posted the Air-bridge thread in Scuttlebutt, in error so then requested the Moderators to move it to a more appropriate forum. Which they did - Current Affairs.

So why do you resurrect it here in LL?
In case anyone missed in Scuttlebutt.
As to your 'quip about a lie on the bus', you raised it initially and so far as I can see, no body else has commented on it.
Erm, you have, several times. You seem strangely obsessed with it.

But I commend you on completely diverting this thread from it's original purpose.
If you weren't so obsessed by the lie on the bus, you'd realise I was asking a question on the thread.

Teachers calling, so why not poke off back to the kindergarten and play with your other friends. Leaving the adults to try and sort out the best course of action for those over seas post the Transition Period.

Careful, the mods don't like it when people resort to personal abuse. I've not felt the need to do that to you.
And remember, if it weren't for the lie on the bus, this whole thread might not have been necessary.

nortada

Visit site
Remind me what wa
In case anyone missed in Scuttlebutt. As there is a ghost link in Scuttlebutt no one could miss it.

Erm, you have, several times. You seem strangely obsessed with it. Really?

If you weren't so obsessed by the lie on the bus, you'd realise I was asking a question on the thread. What question❓

Careful, the mods don't like it when people resort to personal abuse. I've not felt the need to do that to you.
And remember, if it weren't for the lie on the bus, this whole thread might not have been necessary.
Do you know who all of the Moderators are❓ If so, would you like to share your list in PM❓Whatever, no need to worry on my behalf?

Now what was your question❓

I have enjoyed our little joust so meet again at dawn, in The Lounge or Current Affairs❓You can choose the topic and weapons.?

Last edited: