EU/ex UK residents applying for new UK driving licence ?

ean_p

Visit site
Has anyone who has exchanged their UK driving licence for an EU one because of Brexit then gone on to apply for another UK licence at all? PM me if you'd rather not chat about it here !

billskip

Visit site
Has anyone who has exchanged their UK driving licence for an EU one because of Brexit then gone on to apply for another UK licence at all? PM me if you'd rather not chat about it here !
I dont think you can get a uk one unless you exchange it back again, if that's possible.
Also you are supposed to live in the UK to have a valid driving license.
When I exchanged mine in Spain they would only exchange it with authorization /confirmation from DVLC also they took my UK licence and returned it to DVLC.

Another point my Spanish Spanish license is more restricted category

ean_p

Visit site
Hi Bill and thanks for the reply. I understand that that is / was the situation when we were EU members but I don't know the detail now ! I think the ability to only posses one licence was an EU rule and so not sure if it applies in the UK now? Would an American living in the UK have to surrender his US licence for example......I don't know?

billskip

Visit site
Hi Bill and thanks for the reply. I understand that that is / was the situation when we were EU members but I don't know the detail now ! I think the ability to only posses one licence was an EU rule and so not sure if it applies in the UK now? Would an American living in the UK have to surrender his US licence for example......I don't know?
Ok, I see what you are getting at now, first on my application it only asked if I held an alternate EU License, third countries were not mentioned.
I am sure that you (are supposed to ) have live in the UK to hold a UK driving licence.
So as you cant be resident in two countries, I would assume alarm bells will ring if you applied. Before everything was linked up on the electronic system I suspect it was easy.

Visit site
Brits resident here have said that the two authorities do communicate

Sailfree

Visit site
I am exchanging my UK licence for a Portuguese one.

But I have properties and cars in both countries.

It is illegal for a Portuguese resident to drive foreign registered vehicles.

As at times I may spend time in either country and may wish to drive a UK registered car in the UK.

Hence once the exchange has been completed I will ask the DLVA to reinstate my UK licence.

We did try to exchange licence in 2019 and got a piece of paper noting the exchange application but that was not valid in any other country! Heard that others had waited 12 months and still only had the bit of paper. Needing to drive through Spain, France and UK we reapplied for UK licence.

Got it within 1 wk. About 6 m in my case and 13 m in wifes case Portuguese authorities wrote to us saying we need your "latest " licence. Yes they do talk with each other.

I understand that you can only have 1 EU Licence but now the UK is an independant country I can't see why I can't have a UK licence to drive a UK car in UK.

If DLVA refuse I intend to contact my MP and ask why the DLVA are refusing to allow me to buy new UK registered vehicles to drive in UK. I am sure insurance to drive in UK with a Portuguese licence will also be difficult!

All part of the Brexit mess!

Be interested in how others get on or any advice!

Last edited:

greeny

Visit site
I was going to do the same thing. I have a Portuguese license but my uk license still shows as live on the DVLA website.
A friend in the village was in the same position and did the same thing and requested a new uk license and DVLA asked him to send in his Portuguese license card to them before they would issue the UK one. That was November last year though before Brexit.
I've been holding off doing it because of his experience.

greeny

Visit site
For Sailfree:-
An excerpt from an expat American site that indicates that even 3rd country national who are in Portugal have to surrender their home country driving license in order to get a Portuguese one. So it's not just Europeans who have to comply.

This is based on the San Francisco embassy, but given that they are (typically) the most strict, I’ll wager that the others will do the same.
The first thing that you will need is a certificate from the embassy verifying your driver’s license. To get this, you will send (via post from Portugal back to the States – not electronic) the following:
1. Copy of driver's license; (The copy does not need to be notarized)
2. Your Driver's record (Available from most DMV’s online) – obviously it need not be certified of apostilled.
3. Cover letter explaining the service you require and your contacts (email and cellphone number). “I need a letter certifying my driving record in order to exchange my US license for PT”.
4. Self-addressed postmarked envelope (we included the prepaid label from UPS – pay for fastes service available)
5. Check payable to "Portuguese Consulate". Our’s was $46.80. You should verify that this has not changed.
Ok. While you are waiting for that, get going on the rest of the stuff that you will need.
You will need your Atestado de Residencia (certification of your local Portugal address). You will get this from your local Junta da Freguesia (local town/village/neighborhood/parish council office).
You will need:
1. Your passport
2. Rental/purchase contract.
3. Prior residencia card or other permit by SEF.
You may also need a copy of a utility bill also. We did not, but we were ready. We opted to have our Atestado de Residencia with BOTH our names on it (you must ask, otherwise you will get two), so obviously we needed both passports. The cost was around €10 and you must return the following day to retrieve the document (don’t ask me why).
Next, you will need you Número de Utente (your social health number –it shows that you are in the public health system). To get this, you will go to the Centro de Saude (Central Health Office). You will need the following:
1. Your passport
2. Your SEF receipt or the card
3. The Atestado de Residencia from the Junta da Freguesia
4. Your NIF paper (or something with your NIF on it. Just knowing the number will not suffice).
There was no fee for this.
Next, you will need a physical exam. This is a very basic physical, and you can get it done at most of the driving schools and some medical offices. It is called Atestado Médico para Carta de Condução. You will need the following:
1. Your Número de Utente
2. Your US driver’s license
3. Your SEF residence card
The cost is around €35. The exam ensures that there is no physical impairment to prevent you driving, and it lists the category of vehicles you are licensed to drive (cars, trucks, and/or motorcycles). Be sure to verify this before you leave the office.
Last but not least, if the applicant has HGV or PSV categories, etc., they also need to take a separate psych test & also present that document to IMT at the time of making the exchange application.
Most importantly, the doctor will put the exam into the national computer system and it will be automatically provided to IMT. This will be important when you go to the IMT (DMV).
Once you have all of the aforementioned:
1. The certificate from the embassy/consulate
2. Your Atestado de Residencia
3. Your Número de Utente
4. Your physical (completed)
5. Your US driver’s license. It feels pretty odd to give up your US driver’s license when you’ve had one since you started driving, but your new Portuguese license will work in the US.
You are ready to go to the IMT (DMV). Be prepared to wait. We went to our local IMT in a small town and even though we arrived 45 minutes before they opened, there were still 6 people ahead of us. In Lisbon (the first time we tried this) we arrived an hour early and there were over a hundred!
This is were having a local comes in handy. The people at the IMT generally do not speak English and they are not familiar with US customs. For example, my wife had her middle initial on her US license but her middle name on her passport. Also, the IMT agent wanted to know when her license was FIRST issued. We told her, “when she turned 16”. Naturally this is not reflected on her US license, so that had to be explained. Again, a good time to have a local advocate (which we did) to explain these little issues.
In the end, all went well. They have a camera there so there is no need to bring a picture. The biggest hurdle was simple getting the CORRECT paperwork together and together in a timely manner.

Sailfree

Visit site
My cousin has a NZ and a UK licence!

I think the main thing is to "easily" get a replacement Portuguese licence without the Portuguese test etc. you need to demonstrate eligibility by surrendering a licence.

Having completed all this I cant see why the original one should not be reinstated.

Option 2 apply for provisional UK licence and take test again!

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site

I had much the same experience as you, temporary paper one only valid in Portugal so when back in UK I obtained duplicate UK one. Portuguese then wrote many months ago requesting I hand it in, which I've no intention of doing as more restricted groups.

Was pulled at routine road block about 3 weeks ago and UK license not queried although Portuguese car is in my name. If they had asked, I would have just said I have dual residence (which is allowed) and spend more time in UK so need UK license. Have been driving there for decades and never any problems.

Visit site
My cousin has a NZ and a UK licence!

I think the main thing is to "easily" get a replacement Portuguese licence without the Portuguese test etc. you need to demonstrate eligibility by surrendering a licence.

Having completed all this I cant see why the original one should not be reinstated.

Option 2 apply for provisional UK licence and take test again!
Why do you want a UKlicence ?

grumpygit

Visit site

My wife is in the process of changing her UK licence for a Greek licence, eye test and medical required along with all the relevant paperwork which is in along with €118 for the privilege, once the Greek one has been processed and is ready for collection her UK licence must be handed in on the exchange. I believe the Greek authorities notify DVLA as a matter of course.
I on the other hand am going to try and fly with the UK one plus an International Driving Licence. For me it is going to cost a fortune to retain all the groups I have because here in Greece they charge for each individual group, i.e. car, motorbike, trailer, heavy goods etc.

billskip

Visit site
I had much the same experience as you, temporary paper one only valid in Portugal so when back in UK I obtained duplicate UK one. Portuguese then wrote many months ago requesting I hand it in, which I've no intention of doing as more restricted groups.

Was pulled at routine road block about 3 weeks ago and UK license not queried although Portuguese car is in my name. If they had asked, I would have just said I have dual residence (which is allowed) and spend more time in UK so need UK license. Have been driving there for decades and never any problems.
How does one define residence? Surely you can only reside in one place at a time, residence is if you spend more than half a year in one country isn't it?

billskip

Visit site
My wife is in the process of changing her UK licence for a Greek licence, eye test and medical required along with all the relevant paperwork which is in along with €118 for the privilege, once the Greek one has been processed and is ready for collection her UK licence must be handed in on the exchange. I believe the Greek authorities notify DVLA as a matter of course.
I on the other hand am going to try and fly with the UK one plus an International Driving Licence. For me it is going to cost a fortune to retain all the groups I have because here in Greece they charge for each individual group, i.e. car, motorbike, trailer, heavy goods etc.
Technically if one "tries to fly" with a licence that exceeds the rules of that country, surely one is driving illegally...or it makes the whole driving licence regulations a total waste of time...
You may get away with it ,but if one day you kill a child by accident and it's not your fault, dont start screaming at the prison sentence.

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
From DVLA Web Site ...

What you need
To renew online, you need:

• a valid UK passport
  • to be a resident of Great Britain - there’s a different service in Northern Ireland
  • to pay £14 by MasterCard, Visa, Electron or Delta debit or credit card (there’s no fee if you’re over 70 or have a medical short period licence)
  • addresses of where you’ve lived over the last 3 years
  • your current driving licence (if you do not have your licence you must say why in your application)
  • your National Insurance number (if you know it)
  • to not be disqualified from driving

Renew your driving licence

and this ...

UK and EU driving licences
If you live in the EU, you will not be able to renew your driving licence in the UK.

Consider exchanging your UK driving licence for an EU licence as soon as possible in line with specific advice for your country of residence.

If your UK licence is lost, stolen or expired, you may not be able to exchange it for an EU licence. You may have to apply for an EU licence and retake your driving test. Please check with the licensing authority in your country of residence if your licence is lost, stolen or expired.

Check the driving advice for the country you live in.

Driving in the EU: UK licence holders living in the EU

.... and finally ...

If you’re moving abroad
You cannot register your new address on your British driving licence. Contact the driving licence authority in your new country of residence.

Change the address on your driving licence

I exchanged my UK driving licence for a German one a long time ago .... it was a simple process but make sure they give you the same vehicle classes as you had on your original.

billskip

Visit site

As at times I may spend time in either country and may wish to drive a UK registered car in the UK.

Hence once the exchange has been completed I will ask the DLVA to reinstate my UK licence.

We did try to exchange licence in 2019 and got a piece of paper noting the exchange application but that was not valid in any other country! Heard that others had waited 12 months and still only had the bit of paper. Needing to drive through Spain, France and UK we reapplied for UK licence.

Got it within 1 wk. About 6 m in my case and 13 m in wifes case Portuguese authorities wrote to us saying we need your "latest " licence. Yes they do talk with each other.

I understand that you can only have 1 EU Licence but now the UK is an independant country I can't see why I can't have a UK licence to drive a UK car in UK.

If DLVA refuse I intend to contact my MP and ask why the DLVA are refusing to allow me to buy new UK registered vehicles to drive in UK. I am sure insurance to drive in UK with a Portuguese licence will also be difficult!

All part of the Brexit mess!

Be interested in how others get on or any advice!
Quote " It is illegal for a Portuguese resident to drive foreign registered vehicles."
So any Portuguese can not rent a car in the UK?

I am struggling to understand the reason for requirement of
Two licenses when one of the licenses will be illegal anyway.

grumpygit

Visit site
Technically if one "tries to fly" with a licence that exceeds the rules of that country, surely one is driving illegally...or it makes the whole driving licence regulations a total waste of time...
You may get away with it ,but if one day you kill a child by accident and it's not your fault, dont start screaming at the prison sentence.

How can you make such comments on something you know nothing about of what does or does not exceed the rules. Different to my wife I have a 10 year biometric card which has different rules of residency to her 5 year card. So there is no need for the moral superiority thank you.

billskip

Visit site
How can you make such comments on something you know nothing about of what does or does not exceed the rules. Different to my wife I have a 10 year biometric card which has different rules of residency to her 5 year card. So there is no need for the moral superiority thank you.
Please explain what a ten year biometric card driving licence is.
If you are so sure you will be legal why do you use the phrase "try to fly"

Clancy Moped

Visit site
In Spain, Trafico, who issue or exchange licences, are in contact with the DVLA. They send your UK one back to them. However, if I visit the UK I can use my Spanish licence for 12 months before I'm required to change it to a UK one.