EU/ex UK residents applying for new UK driving licence ?

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Quote " It is illegal for a Portuguese resident to drive foreign registered vehicles."
So any Portuguese can not rent a car in the UK?

I am struggling to understand the reason for requirement of
Two licenses when one of the licenses will be illegal anyway.

In general, it is illegal for a Portuguese resident to drive a foreign plated vehicle in Portugal but there are some exceptions such as during importation. IIRC there are similar restrictions in UK. Insurance cost is usually higher in UK if driving on foreign license.

The residence rules don't just depend on spending 6 months somewhere. Having permanent residence in Portugal allows me up to 2 years out of country without losing status. I'm also resident here in UK where I pay my taxes and technically can't drive here on a foreign license but again, there are some exceptions such as if I drove here in my Portuguese car. Reading both country's regulations, there are lots of contradictions and it's virtually impossible for me to comply in both places with one license.

P.S. I also have S African I.D. card and heavy goods license from 1970 and wonder if those still valid? Doubtful I think.

Last edited:

Sailfree

Visit site
Why do you want a UKlicence ?

To drive a UK registered car owned by me in rest of EU and UK without paying a premium for insurance as a "foreign" licence holder.

I am also not sure of the legality of driving a foreign registered car, owned by a resident of Portugal in other countries. Its certainly illegal to drive it in Portugal.

Visit site
I had much the same experience as you, temporary paper one only valid in Portugal so when back in UK I obtained duplicate UK one. Portuguese then wrote many months ago requesting I hand it in, which I've no intention of doing as more restricted groups.

Was pulled at routine road block about 3 weeks ago and UK license not queried although Portuguese car is in my name. If they had asked, I would have just said I have dual residence (which is allowed) and spend more time in UK so need UK license. Have been driving there for decades and never any problems.
Portuguese can drive a foreign registered hire car.

billskip

Visit site
Just reading this thread and all I can say is I'm amazed how some want to make out their whiter then white until the rules doesn't suite them . :)
I don't see anybody is trying to be whiter than white, and if your are directing that at me just say so, I don't mind,
but I am trying to understand the legalities.

As I understand it, it is as it says in post 15, for a UK licence you have to live in the UK

If there are loopholes fair enough, but if one gets into some serious predicament, knowing that they are not comfoming to the law, they have to accept the consequences.

billskip

Visit site
In general, it is illegal for a Portuguese resident to drive a foreign plated vehicle in Portugal but there are some exceptions such as during importation. IIRC there are similar restrictions in UK. Insurance cost is usually higher in UK if driving on foreign license.

The residence rules don't just depend on spending 6 months somewhere. Having permanent residence in Portugal allows me up to 2 years out of country without losing status. I'm also resident here in UK where I pay my taxes and technically can't drive here on a foreign license but again, there are some exceptions such as if I drove here in my Portuguese car. Reading both country's regulations, there are lots of contradictions and it's virtually impossible for me to comply in both places with one license.

P.S. I also have S African I.D. card and heavy goods license from 1970 and wonder if those still valid? Doubtful I think.
The rules of residence may differ between countries, also the rules of the first five years of temp residents here in Spain differ from rules of permanent residence.
That said the rules regarding UK driving licence as far as I know is that it is supposed to be surrendered to the EU country.

As far as I know a UK license is only valid for 6 month's outside of the UK, and a forign licence is only valid for 6 months in the UK.
I am perfectly willing to be wrong.

..again

billskip

Visit site
The rules of residence may differ between countries, also the rules of the first five years of temp residents here in Spain differ from rules of permanent residence.
That said the rules regarding UK driving licence as far as I know is that it is supposed to be surrendered to the EU country.

As far as I know a UK license is only valid for 6 month's outside of the UK, and a forign licence is only valid for 6 months in the UK.
I am perfectly willing to be wrong.

..again
Yes I am wrong...aparently Google tells me different to what the Spanish and UK licence department officialstore told me

grumpygit

Visit site
Please explain what a ten year biometric card driving licence is.
If you are so sure you will be legal why do you use the phrase "try to fly"

I'm not sure why I should have to explain anything to you after your stuffy self righteous attitude but I will for anyone else that may want to know.
The way I read it, a ten year means I don't have to be a permanent resident in Greece to retain my residency, I can leave for anytime and up to a block of five years. Where a five year card you have to be resident for more the 183 days to retain the residency so you can't be a UK resident in that year, hence a Greek driving licence is required.
My phraseology is to use as I will, how you interpret this is up to you.

billskip

Visit site
I'm not sure why I should have to explain anything to you after your stuffy self righteous attitude but I will for anyone else that may want to know.
The way I read it, a ten year means I don't have to be a permanent resident in Greece to retain my residency, I can leave for anytime and up to a block of five years. Where a five year card you have to be resident for more the 183 days to retain the residency so you can't be a UK resident in that year, hence a Greek driving licence is required.
Thanks grumpygit.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I don't see anybody is trying to be whiter than white, and if your are directing that at me just say so, I don't mind,
but I am trying to understand the legalities.

As I understand it, it is as it says in post 15, for a UK licence you have to live in the UK

If there are loopholes fair enough, but if one gets into some serious predicament, knowing that they are not comfoming to the law, they have to accept the consequences.
No not at you at all

nortada

Visit site
Perhaps it might help if the OP said which EU country he was interested in.....
Agree, despite being in a Union, local laws and interpretation of their laws vary dramatically so catch-all questions, answers and statements don't really work. Rather questions/answers, specific to a single country may be more useful.

On the question of residence, it is my understanding that some countries permit dual residency but if you have to be in both countries for more than 6 months in a year, I can't see how you can meet the criteria for both countries ❓

https://assets.publishing.service.g..._data/file/736849/Ordinary_residence_tool.pdf

Although angled towards NHS free healthcare, the link above gives an interesting insight into the criteria to qualify for Ordinary Residence Status in the UK.

Rather than a blanket requirement to be in the UK for a minimum 6 months per annum, this is just one of many indicators and every case will be judged on the individual's circumstances.

Back to this thread.

Because of the excellent public transport in Portugal, I do not drive in Portugal. In the very rare event that we can't use public transport, a cab is a much cheaper option and far less hassle than running a car.

As public transport in the UK is crap, we drive one of the many family cars on our UK licenses.

Finally, it will be interesting to see how the swallows (folk from the UK who like to spend their winters in the motor homes, in Southern Europe) get on.

Last edited:

AndersG

Visit site
Quote " It is illegal for a Portuguese resident to drive foreign registered vehicles."
So any Portuguese can not rent a car in the UK?

I am struggling to understand the reason for requirement of
Two licenses when one of the licenses will be illegal anyway.
It would be illegal in Portugal I assume. It's illegal for a UK resident to drive forreign registered cars in the UK.

Graham376

Visit site
Residence rules vary from country to country, some allowing dual, some not. As with Spain, 5 year temporary residence in Portugal requires 183 days in country so it's hard to say one is resident elsewhere whereas permanent residence allows extended periods away. If spending roughly equal amounts of time in two countries and resident in both, to meet regs in both is virtually impossible. OTOH if resident in one and just visiting others, then it's quite simple.

GHA

Visit site
If spending roughly equal amounts of time in two countries and resident in both, to meet regs in both is virtually impossible.
Though being non resident as defined by Inland Revenue in UK for many on here would likely be virtually impossible no matter how many days were spent out of the UK , many more factors than just time in the country.

Graham376

Visit site
Though being non resident as defined by Inland Revenue in UK for many on here would likely be virtually impossible no matter how many days were spent out of the UK , many more factors than just time in the country.

But, is being tax resident the same as being ordinarily resident? One can be tax resident whilst being physically almost permanently absent.

billskip

Visit site
It would be illegal in Portugal I assume. It's illegal for a UK resident to drive forreign registered cars in the UK.
I don't think so, trouble is old gits like me that have been driving for 60yrs plus tend to remember the regs of old and not be familia with change.
I think you can drive any car that is legally on the road, no matter the registration with the licence ,but insurance is another matter.

grumpygit

Visit site
I don't think so, trouble is old gits like me that have been driving for 60yrs plus tend to remember the regs of old and not be familia with change.
I think you can drive any car that is legally on the road, no matter the registration with the licence ,but insurance is another matter.

Here in Greece it's the car that's insured not the driver. So technically anyone with a driving licence can drive the said vehicle.

billskip

Visit site
Here in Greece it's the car that's insured not the driver. So technically anyone with a driving licence can drive the said vehicle.
Yes, same here in Spain, I was quite surprised, when you buy a car private you can continue with the previous owners insurance.

There does not seem to be any refunds,NCB''s or tpft /full comp. I was just told it's € 420 pa or 2 x €440 ...
I have since been told there are other companies, German I think that seem to offer cheaper rates, but I have been advised
that although they are legal, getting a claim paid is another matter,true or not I don't know.

nortada

Visit site
Following on from my #31, on reflection, one of the main reasons Brits wish to retain their UK residency is to safeguard the continued access to free NHS healthcare but of course those in receipt of a UK State Pension can join the S1 scheme (working out of Newcastle) and retain their right to NHS healthcare, when in the UK. This, coupled with a UK EHIC (now called a GHIC), should cover all medical eventualities.

The real irony, when in later life when medical need become progressively (exponentially) more expensive the UK still foots the bill, one way or another.

Possibly, rather than drift this thread, I should open a new one but I haven't got anything more to add.

grumpygit

Visit site
Following on from my #31, on reflection, one of the main reasons Brits wish to retain their UK residency is to safeguard the continued access to free NHS healthcare but of course those in receipt of a UK State Pension can join the S1 scheme (working out of Newcastle) and retain their right to NHS healthcare, when in the UK. This, coupled with a UK EHIC (now called a GHIC), should cover all medical eventualities.

The real irony, when in later life when medical need become progressively (exponentially) more expensive the UK still foots the bill, one way or another.

Possibly, rather than drift this thread, I should open a new one but I haven't got anything more to add.

May be I'll finish your drift. ;)Not just UK state pension age, my wife who is not of pension age (or a family dependant) can be tagged on to the S1 and get the same cover.