Ethnic minorities and sailing.

Tomahawk

Visit site
When we were in Sada we got talking to the manager of the marina about boating.. His comment was that "we Spanish just don’t get sailng. If this ria was in England it would be wall to wall sails"

I suspect it is down to culture rather than money. Of course, that leads to the question of mixing or not as the case may be between cultures. If the immigrant population are not taking to the water in various guises like the indigenous population, one needs ask to what extent they are integrating?

Babylon

Visit site
Why even ask the question about "integration"? Who are "they"?

The culture is always changing, has been changing particularly significantly for the last two generations - not just immigration but the "indiginous" social, technological and political culture more broadly.

Look at photos from the 1950s to 1970s - any throngs of obese, tattoo-stained, half-naked people with Viking hair-do's?

Stemar

Visit site
It's also rubbish. Sailing and all forms of boating is hugely popular in Spain.
As is my quip. They were THE maritime power of the time, bringing back all that plunder from the Americas. England was Sh1tting itself about the Armada with good reason. We just got VERY lucky - right ships, right men, right weather all helped, but IIRC, the Spanish high command basically did an extremely competent job of being incompetent

convey

N/A
Visit site
When I was in Japan I didn’t see any recreational sailing. Same in many other places not frequented by people of European descent. I suspect sailing is something you have to want to do in the first place.
my son's wife who is Japanese on the boat and she disliked it so we went to anchor in Poole Harbour. In 36 hours she did not venture from the cabin, perhaps a genetic thing.

What would be genetic about it? Do you really think an island nation, with such a heavily fish based diet, does not have a sailing heritage?! Never mind a nice sideline in piracy.

I'd say it was more down to their present day work ethic or professional demands, until they retire.

convey

N/A
Visit site
Unfortunately this video, an attempt to explain BLM to Whites through sailing metaphors falls down badly Black Lives Matter Organizer Explains Movement To Older White Americans Using Sailing Metaphors To Make Them Feel More Comfortable

Did anyone else try and watch that?

"Cantalina - strike one,
Yenmar - strike two,
"like cleaning off a coat of slime from the bottom of your prop that's keeping you from carving through the Pacific at 28 knots" - OK, that's enough clearly neither she nor whoever wrote it knows a thing about sailing.

What, we don't have to clean the top of our props too?

convey

N/A
Visit site
Oh, God, it got worse. Apparently after American policemen stop shooting black criminals, American is going to be like a "Carbon fiber super yacht (shows steel one) with 3 swimming pools and a helipad".

newtothis

Visit site
Did anyone else try and watch that?

"Cantalina - strike one,
Yenmar - strike two,
"like cleaning off a coat of slime from the bottom of your prop that's keeping you from carving through the Pacific at 28 knots" - OK, that's enough clearly neither she nor whoever wrote it knows a thing about sailing.

What, we don't have to clean the top of our props too?

If you were looking for an instructional video on sailing, you've rather missed the point.

convey

N/A
Visit site
I was looking for a metaphor that made sense, and I have to wonder how many elderly Americans would have gotten a sailing metaphor in the first place.

That was such a terrible piece, I have to wonder who they were targeting. Besides, I thought she was going to explain when we could use the B or N words correctly.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
Odd. I have a Japanese friend who has owned her own boats in Japan for thirty years now. Mind you, she may be non-standard, as she was at sea as a deck officer herself. But she is certainly part of a big Japanese sailing scene.

I have a Filipina friend who as I write is the bosun of a superyacht in the Med, and whose idea of fun when on leave is to go offshore racing... see below...We met when she was the girlfriend of an old friend of mine - an ex VLCC Master - who ran, and runs, a business in Subic Bay making computer based training systems. He made the mistake of taking her sailing one day. She immediately discovered what she really wanted to do in life, and a couple of years later he got dumped in favour of more sailing...when she took her Commercial Endorsement at Warsash she was the only girl on the course, the only Asian and the only one who could splice wire...

398EE538-C902-464C-A8CA-3516F8790775.jpeg

Last edited:

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
I’ve just remembered that two of my regular sailing friends are Asian. One is extremely successful, a RORC member who campaigns a big boat out of the Hamble, and the other is half a couple at our club. I’d forgotten because, being a typical Englishman, I notice people’s accents rather than their appearance; one speaks cut glass Oxford and the other speaks broad Kiwi.

Oh, and to anyone who says the Chinese don’t sail, I have two words:

Frank Pong.

My right hand man in Hong Kong was Frank’s regular foredeck in the 1980s. I was never good enough to get aboard one of the first boats I ever saw with titanium shackles and black sails.

This is an old article but I put it here because Frank’s account of starting sailing could be anyone’s:

Frank Pong appointed Hon Chairman of China Team

Last edited:

convey

N/A
Visit site
For anyone interested, woodwork on traditional Japanese boats, (link).

These look fascinating, Sail through time with hobikisen on Lake Kasumigaura.

JAP_1559-2.jpg

Tomahawk

Visit site
Well done you (y) (y)

We're just the same as anybody else, so much so that nobody even notices anymore. Something this thread perfectly illustrates! Cool by me :)

Physically we are indeed all the same. We all need to find a mate and make babies, provide ourselves with protection from the environment and eat. We also need to find some sort of work that facilitates those basic needs.

But there are huge differences between various cultures on how to deliver those basic needs. I do not consider all cultures to be equal. I know this will be a red rag to the PC brigade but I observe some cultures are very much second quality.