Ethnic minorities and sailing.

Blue Sunray

Visit site
Looks like we're in the last bastion of white, heterosexual male privilege here - it's like being in Jurassic Park for real! Seriously guys, try to keep up with the rest of the world.

You sound surprised, have you really been a member since 2002?

johnalison

Visit site
It's remarkable how weirdo niche lifestyles attract a non representative subset of the population.
Most of us who engage in minority pastimes do so because of an interest in that activity and, I suggest, without giving a thought to who we might meet while doing so. This would apply to sailing, archery, bridge, or Scottish dancing. Whether the membership of these groups is representative of the nation's demographic is nobody's business as far as I am concerned.

Zing

Visit site
Looks like we're in the last bastion of white, heterosexual male privilege here - it's like being in Jurassic Park for real! Seriously guys, try to keep up with the rest of the world.
How sure are you about that? A boat broker once told me that a disproportionate number of boat owners were gay. I do know at least a few and more than I know in my land life, so I suspect it may be true.

MarkCX

Visit site
It could just possibly be the case that members of minority ethnic groups might be put off participating in our minority activity by the attitudes of some of its current participants- whether that be through either ignorance or prejudice.
Making efforts to be as inclusive and welcoming as possible, can only be beneficial to all concerned.

Seven Spades

Visit site
Let's face it different cultures different things. It is just as unusual to see them skiing in Europe, or at the local tennis club but they are massively over represented in professional football. I don't see what the problem is each to their own the point is no one is stopping them from partaking and that is the important thing, they simply choose not to.

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
How sure are you about that? A boat broker once told me that a disproportionate number of boat owners were gay. I do know at least a few and more than I know in my land life, so I suspect it may be true.

When I used to take my sailing wellies on board tied together for carrying my skipper warned me to be careful to untie them before donning else i might appear to be mincing around in a suspicious manner. (Note this was before much fuss about non-PC jokes...)

Zing

Visit site
When I used to take my sailing wellies on board tied together for carrying my skipper warned me to be careful to untie them before donning else i might appear to be mincing around in a suspicious manner. (Note this was before much fuss about non-PC jokes...)
With a name like yours it’s clear you aren’t bothered.

[165264]

Visit site
Let's face it different cultures different things. It is just as unusual to see them skiing in Europe, or at the local tennis club but they are massively over represented in professional football. I don't see what the problem is each to their own the point is no one is stopping them from partaking and that is the important thing, they simply choose not to.
That's interesting too. Has anyone been to Zell am See in Austria in the last few years? I only go there in the summer, but it is FULL of young Arabs. (Couples and families.) It is sooooo Arabic that some of the shops now have Arabic script in the windows and their signs. Also it was true of the Esso garage when I was there. Fortunately, the default language is English. We're lucky really, as it's fairly easy to learn, even though our own national importance is going to shrink (I don't care) our language will stay the Lingua Franca of tourism.

Stemar

Visit site
There was a bit of a fuss a few years back about the National Trust. They were threatened with the loss of some sizeable grants, IIRC, because they didn't have enough BAME members. Their response was, we've tried everything we can think of, but they aren't interested. (put a bit more PC than that, of course).

I've no idea what the outcome was; there was a story in the scandal and implication of racism, none in common sense rearing its ugly head. Although some BAME families have lived here for generations, populations are still largely urban, Much of the NT just isn't their heritage.

[165264]

Visit site
[Content removed]
Well, if you think about it, it VERY sensible. If you're skiing and there is an avalanche, they are much more likely to find you if you're in a burka. It's black, (I don't know why they are) so it will show up very well against the snow. Also, if you DO happen to fall off a mountain, you might be able to turn it into an emergency parachute. Not wonderful, I k now, but possibly life-saving. I have to say that all the younger ladies I saw were just wearing the hijab type of thing.
Interestingly, you CAN go skiing in Lebanon. Both my children started their careers as Arabists and have skied there. Not on sand either. It's damn cold there in the winter.

Last edited by a moderator:

dom

Visit site
There was a bit of a fuss a few years back about the National Trust. They were threatened with the loss of some sizeable grants, IIRC, because they didn't have enough BAME members. Their response was, we've tried everything we can think of, but they aren't interested. (put a bit more PC than that, of course).

I've no idea what the outcome was; there was a story in the scandal and implication of racism, none in common sense rearing its ugly head. Although some BAME families have lived here for generations, populations are still largely urban, Much of the NT just isn't their heritage.

I'm sure you're right, but has anybody recently walked from say Lulworth to the Durdle Door in Dorset, or perhaps the National Trust Seven Sisters clifftop path in Eastbourne? I seem to recall that English is barely the dominant language there anymore!

Could it be that people have truly become desensitised to race which would be a fine thing? I for example can't recall the ethnic composition in say Alum Bay when I was there a couple of weeks back and if pushed I'd probably get it totally wrong.

How many others would too?

[165264]

Visit site
There's another positive too. About 3 years ago I went to a small market in my favourite spot in Bavaria. There was a chap there selling cheese, who was either from India or Pakistan. We spoke in German. He told me that Salzburg now has six cricket teams. They are all Asians who play.

Zing

Visit site
There's another positive too. About 3 years ago I went to a small market in my favourite spot in Bavaria. There was a chap there selling cheese, who was either from India or Pakistan. We spoke in German. He told me that Salzburg now has six cricket teams. They are all Asians who play.
Oh dear.

ryanroberts

Visit site

Museums have similar issues and they really spend a lot of time trying to deal with it. Many of their employees are extremely PC librarian / academic types (hey another stereotype, I have an ex who is a historian / museologist who as a sort of wet conservative felt a little uncomfortable in a uniformly radical environment) and have been trying for years to increase engagement of minorities and people from lower socioeconomic groups. I'd hazard a guess that putting on exhibitions like "Tipping the bale: identity and othering in the letters of the women of Cottonopolis 1865-98" rather than having lots of awesome tanks and stuff is more of a problem.

Blue Sunray

Visit site