Ethnic minorities and sailing.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Unconsciously, they organise events to self-perpetuate their club’s culture, such as the annual dinner in some dreary hotel where ‘black tie’ is the dress code. Hardly attractive for those of a group who may not naturally sympathise with that culture.
A Thames club member wrote a while back that his club was finding it hard to attract younger members, even though they had a lively social programme. I checked the club website and found that every single social event was categorised as either "blazers and greys" or "blazers and whites". How strange that they didn't have young people banging at the door ...

Last edited:

Zing

Visit site
I think sailing clubs should learn from nightclub and bar operators. Get the glamour in and the young studs will flock in like bees to honey. There are plenty of glamorous BAMEs despite the ugliness of that word. So find the right type, the sort who like to glam it up a bit and give them free membership, free day membership for their female friends only (who also will be nice too, it works that way). Half price cocktails and wine. Not beer. Then put them in the window and wait and see.

ryanroberts

Visit site
A Thames club member wrote a while back that his club was finding it hard to attract younger members, even though they had a lively social programme. I checked the club website and found that every single social event was categorised as either "blazers and greys" or "blazers and whites". How strange that they didn't have young people banging at the door ...

Yeah even as mid middle aged this is a tad too much for me. You don't even get that in 3 star destination restaurants for the most part nowadays, ate in the waterside once and there was a Chinese family in tracksuits and t shirts, Can Roca is casual dress too. Somehow got invited to a black tie event for the Royal Collage Of Anaesthetists as the president at the was a randy old goat who had a thing for one of my friends. Private club with musty tartan carpet and mediocre classical French food, £15 a bottle in the supermarket level wine. Enjoyed myself as the company was good but.

Babylon

Visit site
It doesn't have to be overboard, but a bit of an effort for a formal event such as "Jacket & Tie" isn't exactly onerous.

Minchsailor

Visit site
It doesn't have to be overboard, but a bit of an effort for a formal event such as "Jacket & Tie" isn't exactly onerous.

Exactly, people should make some effort for a special occasion, but for men 'black tie' is boring, and i would suggest 'jacket and tie' even more so. Women seem to have a bit more fun with their dress. As JD has posted 'blazers and whites' is a turn off for many - and sends out all the wrong signals.

Maybe 'dress to impress' might be more appropriate?

The Scottish men have more fun with the formal dress codes ( but I don't think I have the legs for a kilt!).

Edit - JD beat me to it

Visit site
Fair point. I only have a few years to go until I get there myself and I cannot imagine that I will suddenly feel the need to buy a blazer. After all, I managed to get past fifty without my trouser waistband shooting up to chest level.
I still have a Dior blazer which is older than many posters on here.I bought it in a sale and it has made quite a few think that I am respectable.
I was well past 50 when I stopped looking for opportunities to drop my trouser waistband, happy memories.

Last edited:

convey

N/A
Visit site
I think sailing clubs should learn from nightclub and bar operators ...
On the basis of our local "talent" I'd say that pointing out the profits that could be made if you were bringing in your own product by boat might do better.

I don't think it's a question of dress code, nor that that would fix it.

Funnily enough, I raised just this issue (of attracting a younger demographic) with my yard owner and it went down as well as a lead weight. I was really keen to do something, e.g. open days, fairs, school outreach, and they wouldn't even entertain any ideas.

I think part of the problem is, they're all old and just not interested in doing anything new, or anything that requires change. Many aren't even into boats any more, e.g. developer types. The feeling I get is that the primary interest is for doing as little as possible, having a quiet life, and just seeing it through to retirement/death as is. With the developer types they see the bits of land that have to remain as yard as a curse.

It's probably something that warrants serious study, however. Many clubs have really nice locations and facilities, is anyone measuring the demographics and working out how long they will remain sustainable?

They the question arises of what happens when they reach the point that they are not?

I don't actually know the answer to that. Are they protected, i.e. held in trust, or will they be left to the encircling vulture capitalists to snap up and re-develop. I'm presuming the big chain marina types fall into that category.

I'd probably look into developing sidelines, like general sports facilities. But then, on the other hand, I kind of enjoy it all because it's all very quiet and there's not many people about too.

Babylon

Visit site
There is no answer. The sea will always be there. You and I and others enjoy sailing, and as people retire from it there'll be others taking it up. Facilities will respond to meet demand. The commercial imperative will always play a part, as will the housing market, greed and the planning system.

What part of the country is your yard?