erne -shannon system

dampsticks

Visit site
Hi all,

Just after a bit of advice,

Keen to get into to get into boating on lough erne system. I have owned boats for past 8 years or so but always used them on lough neagh system which was fine but thinking about moving erne/shannon. I sold the small cabin cruiser I towed back and forth to lough neagh have a young family now and wife would prefer larger boat( so would I) to perhaps moor on lough erne but as it would be our first overnight type cruiser dont want to break bank with boat or mooring fees.

I have acquaintances who have a boat on lough erne their mooring fees are much more reasonable than some of prices I have read on this forum for lough erne (around 80 percent cheaper than one price mentioned at castle archdale!) however do such moorings provide a safe place for a boat?

My questions are;

Is mooring a boat on erne system safe ie from vandals, thieves etc?

I have read about trouble getting public mooring spaces does this take away from the experience of boating on lough erne.

lough neagh was fairly quiet although other boaters knowledge of how to navigate could be dangerous at times and alot of boats went up rivers at high speed even past small open boats.

is it possible to boat on a fairly small budget and have a boat moored at fermanagh? Boats I have been thinking about are freeman or birchwood type cruisers most of which seem pretty old but still run and are more in my price bracket.

basically is it worth it for a man with a young family with a keen interest in boating to splash out on a cruiser or better to stick to just hiring out a cruiser once or twice a year?

Many thanks for any thoughts/opinions/advice.

lambohill

Visit site
Hi Dampsticks,
The Erne System is probably one of the most scenic boating areas you will find.
In Particular Lower Lough Erne where we boat is unique in its facilities of pontoon free berthing on multiple islands, several Hotel pontoons, river access, and of course the 'Broad Lough' which is like an inland sea, demanding certain respect from various rocky outcrops and islands.
Lough Neagh where you currently cannot really be compared. Whilst it is a large inland lake, you will find the Erne beautiful by comparison.
The downside of the Erne, like any Irish or Uk boating is the usual...weather restrictions, and similarly boat size for river access.
Your question of fees, typically you will pay £1k to £1.75k in the better facilitated marinas like Manor House and a fraction of this elsewhere , complete with IMHO a reduction of facility. In general it is a very economic place to boat, and in my experience safe and secure, however I do berth in a marina in the centre near main waters rather than an alternative river spot.
I cannot confirm how secure or otherwise that may be. I would suggest that you take a trip around each spot and see what they can offer to you as you will have many options.

In summary to your questions;

Safe for thieves...In secure marina yes, otherwise no knowledge.

Public Moorings....Not a problem, they are free of charge, 48 hour stay, and I've never had a problem getting space on the Erne system, as opposed to some posts relaying to Shannon system.

Other Boaters.... In general, like anywhere else! But there are real navigational dangers. Read your charts. Electronic or paper ( tongue in cheek!)

Budget, is each man to his own. But IMHO you will struggle to get better value quality boating anywhere, and best of luck with making the leap.

dampsticks

Visit site
Thanks very much for taking time to write a reply!

hopefully make leap next season! Unfortunately the manor house type marinas are out of our budget range at the minute (thinkin of a boat around 5-6k mark) though the missus would love it we had our wedding reception at the manor house!

ralf2

Visit site
Hi There,
Have a look at www.iwai.ie lots of info there on boating on the Erne, there are many marinas more so on the upperlough particurlarly around Belturbet that may be easier on the pocket.

lambohill

Visit site
Sorry it was a bit wordy....
IMHO the lower lough is the nicest and most boat able in more weathers. So if you can get somewhere on it you might save a bit of fuel travel toward berthing. The lough ernre yacht club, ( unlike the general posts about raggie / mobo clashes) welcomes mobo's {as well as small sail boats } and are very well located and as I understand lower fees / yard access, and of course Carry Bridge yards are well liked too and plenty of similar set ups.

dampsticks

Visit site
No not wordy glad of advice from someone who has experience on erne system!
seems to be a good range of places to suit different budgets then, most marinas I have been at seem to have more upmarket cruisers which wood necessitate better marina security was wondering more about general boat security as no point in forkin out for a boat for it to be wrecked on us!!

oceanfroggie

www.derg.ie
The Erne navigation is beautiful. It is quite different to Lough Neagh which has few facilities and tiny traffic. The scenery on the Erne is also significantly more distinctive and interesting. Between the Upper Lough with all it's islands and the vast Lower Lough is the large town of Enniskillen which has fabulous public mooring spaces along the Erne River which flows right through the centre. There is a 2-day rule that applies on the Erne's free public visitor moorings (ie max continuous stay is two nights). As others have said there is an abundance of quality marines on or near the Erne.

Personally I prefer Lower Lough Erne for its large expanse of water like an inland sea, but with so many island morning spots as most of the islands and land is owned by the national trust. You will never get bored.

The Erne is connected to the lovely SEW (Shannon-Erne Waterway) which connects the Erne system to the vast Shannon system.

Marina rates on the Erne (and Shannon) are a fraction of the costs on UK south coast marinas. Security is as good as you would expect in most private marinas. The Erne has proved the cruising destination of choice for folks in the greeter Belfast area rather than the closer lough Neagh, and for good reason.

As to hire before you buy, well that's good advice. Gives you and your family a chance to discover the cruising area you prefer, and hence the most suitable type of vessel. One or two one week hires may be enough, or you my decide to continue hiring with some of the excellent Erne based hire companies. Many years ago we used to hire from Aughinver Boat company before we bought or first boat. One option for a first boat is to buy an ex-hire boat on the Erne. Hire operatrs can get up to 50% capital grant aid on boats, but can dispose of the vessels after only 3/4 seasons hire, hence they have very fresh hire fleets, and ex-hire craft have low hours and usually in good condition.

The Erne navigation being connected to the SEW and the 360km long Shannon system is one of the largest inland waterway networks in Europe suitable for cruisers, sailing and watersports. There is nothing to rival it in France, UK, or Germany. Waterways Ireland is the navigation authority and the IWAI (Inland Waterways Association of Ireland) had 22 branches based around the vast system. See http://www.iwai.ie (boaters association) and http://www.waterwaysireland.org (navigation authority)

lambohill

Visit site
Also do most people take fuel with them for their boat or use marina pumps pardon my ignorance/stupidity!

As is fairly usual in many marinas and waterways, diesel has some availability, petrol does not. So some people will transport as required. Either way, petrol or diesel, not much of an issue.
Particularly fuel consumption as you will spend as much time pootling around as FOT or plane if you go that way.

Also as Ocean Froggie says, it is quite unrivalled in Europe.

dampsticks

Visit site
Thanks for all the help ill be lookin on gumtree and donedeal for cruisers in new year hopefully get somethin that does the trick for my budget probably try to get a mooring in one of the cheapest spots!

lookin through websites iwai great site for info

Shannoner

Visit site
Thanks for all the help ill be lookin on gumtree and donedeal for cruisers in new year hopefully get somethin that does the trick for my budget probably try to get a mooring in one of the cheapest spots!

lookin through websites iwai great site for info

Try here too when looking for a cruiser.

http://motorboats.apolloduck.ie/

Good selection of private sellers and brokers.

Loupe

Visit site
Sounds fabulous can’t wait till I get my boat refurbished and in the waterways of Ireland as as hole north and south,
Does the other more experienced sailors think my Sealine 195 would bo suitable.

sogood

Visit site
If you check out boards. ie and go to the sailing and boating forum via the sports forum, you'll find people with lots of personal experience of boating on the Shannon, especially Fergal, who is a mine of information.

Ferris

Visit site
Does the other more experienced sailors think my Sealine 195 would bo suitable.

Is it petrol engined? Refuelling is a jerry can job if so, I can’t think of a place that has it waterside.

Your boat will be fine, it is on the small side for extended stays but that depends on your expectations. Also a plus is that you’re not restricted anywhere. I’d launch it and see how you get on, at least you’ll figure out what you need.

sogood

Visit site
The 195 is the same length as my 218 at 21 feet. While you wouldn't be having any big parties on board, I think it's perfectly fine for occasional overnight stays. Mine has a large double berth beneath the helm, running the full width of the boat. It also has a decent sized V berth up front. Two ring cooker with grill. Sink, fridge and enclosed head. What else would you want? I also have removable seating and a table to go on deck, just in case you want to dine alfresco!
Diesel would definitely be the preferred option, just for ease of availability if nothing else. Whereabouts are you based?

Ferris

Visit site
I think the 195 only has the dinette in the bow but it should be fine for day sailing and weekends. I suppose that most boats on the navigation are slower and larger displacement boats suitable for longer stays. In saying that I spoke to a guy in a Hardy 20 who had done the entire Shannon, Erne, Grand Canal and Barrow so what do I know. I’d really like to do the Barrow but the boat won’t fit.

Loupe

Visit site
Thanks again my Sealine 195 is petrol and has the seating below deck converting to double bed. It would only be my partner and I’m based in Belfast. But my partner lives between lockLomand and the Clyde

Greg2

Visit site
I have read this with interest. SWMBO hails from the north and I have always harboured thoughts of doing the Shannon at some point. I didn’t realise that there was a link with the Erne and was thinking how good it would be to do north and south but having checked it seems that our air draft is just a little too high to transit between the two, which is a shame.

Ferris

Visit site
In your case it’s probably easier and cheaper to hire something. There’s a selection of good hire companies (not CBL!)

Dino

Visit site
Greg2, what’s your air draft and draft? Lots of bigger boats squeeze up the Shannon Erne Waterway. I know that a Moonraker 35 fly bridge can fit. Two Broom Crowns also did the route this year.
Be sure to allow plenty of time to cover the Cork and Kerry coast on the way. Also the Shannon and it’s lakes are great cruising grounds. You could easily spend 10 days cruising Lough Derg alone.