Entrance to the Norfolk Broads - River Yare

Bigplumbs

Visit site
If any of you are intending to either enter or leave the Norfolk broads from the Sea. Here is a little video including as usual some Ariel shots. This entrance is the River Yare in Gorleston. The day i dis this filming it was very calm indeed and quite high water.

For me this entrance looks a little industrial and somehow intimidating. The other entrance is of course at Lowestoft. I will try and get there soon. Enjoy the video and if you like my videos please subscribe

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
It's not uncommon to see larger support ships coming out on the starboard side in astern . They are too long to turn around in the harbour.

It can take a while to realise what's going on.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
It's not at all difficult entrance for a yacht. (You are, though, required to call the harbour master before entering - it can be tricky for large ships, with the tight dog-leg right at the entrance [as per LongKeeler's post), so they don't want you coming in as a ship is coming out.)

You also don't stay in the industrial part near the entrance, but proceed upriver to the Town Quay (just before the first bridge (Haven Bridge), or straight on into the Broads if you've timed to arrive for pre-arranged bridge lifts. (n.b. minimum 1 working days notice required for bridge lift!)

Leighb

Visit site
It's not at all difficult entrance for a yacht. (You are, though, required to call the harbour master before entering - it can be tricky for large ships, with the tight dog-leg right at the entrance [as per LongKeeler's post), so they don't want you coming in as a ship is coming out.)

You also don't stay in the industrial part near the entrance, but proceed upriver to the Town Quay (just before the first bridge (Haven Bridge), or straight on into the Broads if you've timed to arrive for pre-arranged bridge lifts. (n.b. minimum 1 working days notice required for bridge lift!)
Is the bridge lifting at present? It has been out of action for a good part of this year I believe, but may have been fixed.

When we went in that way a few years ago the Authority were very well organised and it was very straightforward, but you did need to book ahead. We needed both bridges lifting as we had a mast and it was all nicely synchronised, also again when we returned. Timing of your arrival at the confluence of the Yare and the Bure is fairly important as that area can apparently be extremely turbulent at certain states of the tide.

sailorman

Visit site
If any of you are intending to either enter or leave the Norfolk broads from the Sea. Here is a little video including as usual some Ariel shots. This entrance is the River Yare in Gorleston. The day i dis this filming it was very calm indeed and quite high water.

For me this entrance looks a little industrial and somehow intimidating. The other entrance is of course at Lowestoft. I will try and get there soon. Enjoy the video and if you like my videos please subscribe

Beware leaving o n a strong ebbtben rhere id fhe bridge to contend with. Ava good one