English slipways near France ?

Colinh

Visit site
Given that it seems my boat will not be impounded as a F & M hazard, because it's trailer is stored a long way from London, can anybody help with my next problem ?

I gather from a letter in PBO that Ramsgate harbour is in the 'Rip-off Britain' league table, so does anybody know of a slipway that will take 1.7 tons of boat and trailer, so that the boat can start her voyage to France ? One that has secure parking for the car and trailer.

Colin H.

G

Why English?

I think most people would agree the northern French ports are not really worth cruising (except of course for a quick booze cruise) why not take your boat to France by ferry or train? And do your passage making it by road? You could be in South Brittany in a day or the Mediterranean in three! You won't need accommodation on route either.
And of course the French don't have that lets rip off the yachty attitude for their launching fees

:)-{)>

Colinh

Visit site
Re: Why English?

Sir/Madam
There is agood and simple reason why we want to cross the channel in our own trail-sail boat, rather than do as you suggest. The reason being that we have already been to all the places you suggest. In the case of the Mobihan, we have been there three times, and the futhest South we have got is La Rochelle. (Which was where we learnt just how big a 3 metre 'houle' is, and how the world disapears when sitting in a trough with 1 metre waves on top of the swell.)

The furthest East we have trail-sailed has been to the Ijslemeer and Markenmere, as well as visiting the Schelt Estuary. The furthest North is the West Coast of Scotland, but we drove round Adnamurchan to get to Sky, the Sound of Sleet and Kyle of Lochalsh. (Daily forecasts of 'nice today, but bad winds tomorrow' kept us away from the Outer Hebridies, which was annoying, as the bad winds never arrived.)

The only bit we have not been to, within a reasonable towing distance, is the North East end of the Channel on the French side, and the only 'challenge' left is to cross the Channel to get there to have a look. If you feel that it is not worth looking at, then having seen it we will perhaps agree with you. But we would like to have our own opinion.

So the question remains, where can we launch the boat in a place that is not extortionately expensive, so that we can sail to the more economical cruising grounds of France.

Colin H.

PS : The Mediteranean will have to be a retirement voyage, as we can not afford to spend half the summer holiday dragging a boat down French highways.

h4nym

www.mustapha.com
Try www.boatlaunch.co.uk for a really good list.
March-ish I launched a Bayliner Ciera 27' 2.5 tonnes at the Dover Public Slipway, on the promenade. There is a trailer storage area there, not covered. Launch the boat, then take it round to Dover Marina who'll charge u a tenner (if I remember!) to overnight her there if you need to.