English channel crossing

Captain sparrow

Visit site
Hi guys

I am 31 and from Manchester.
I am a complete novice with boats and boating (if that's a word) and the older I get I realise how time just passes you by me sitting in idle at work then home and back and forth. I have wanted to cross the channel but have no means or way or even the slightest idea of how to do so. I guess it's the old sailor in me Captain Jack a big fan by the way.
I am just wondering if anyone or anybody knows someone who would be willing to take me aboard to accompany them on their crossing of the channel. I'm good company and ofcourse willing to chip in. Even pay a small sum of necessary for this young apprentice ?
I would eventually like to be able to make this a hobby and do every so often. Maybe even start fishing :)
Any suggestions would be much appreciated and I will not forget you when I circle the globe

Coaster

Visit site
If you really want to cross the English Channel, you’d be better off posting on the Scuttlebutt Forum. The Bristol Channel is a wee bit narrower.

Depends how far you consider the Bristol Channel extends. I think of it as all the water East of a line between St Ann's Head and Land's End.

When we do Milford Haven to Padstow it seems quite a long way. Rather more than Dover to Calais!

Have just realised that I don't know which channel the OP meant.

Seastoke

Visit site
Depends how far you consider the Bristol Channel extends. I think of it as all the water East of a line between St Ann's Head and Land's End.

When we do Milford Haven to Padstow it seems quite a long way. Rather more than Dover to Calais!

Have just realised that I don't know which channel the OP meant.
Good point

Captain sparrow

Visit site
Thanks to everyone for their replies. Much appreciated
I currently live in the outskirts of Manchester, up north. Only sea I ever saw from was the Blackpool beach ! Not the best site but to think on the other side you could see Ireland was and has always been so fascinating to me.
I will try the scuttle boat forum I guess maybe re power my question on there.
Would just really like to get into boating whereby one day I'm able to sail my own out.

Thanks guys

Naiim

TwoHooter

Visit site
Hi Naim

Nothing wrong with starting from scratch. My wife and I knew very little about boats when we bought our first one. The only boating we had done was two holidays sailing dinghies - very small sailing boats without an engine. There are lots of courses and schools. We had an instructor on our boat for a week to teach us the basics, then we were on our own for a while, followed up with some more instruction - and lots of practice. And we did a lot of reading. We pretty soon realised that books by people who cross oceans single-handed was irrelevant to us. One of my favourite books is Libby Purves' narrative of a cruise around the whole UK with her young family - many years ago now but still an inspiration. Only £1.71 for a second hand copy on Ebay. And you might enjoy watching some of Dylan Grice's videos - this one starts with a map of his sailing adventures.

I think that if I was in your position I would look for an RYA (Royal Yachting Association) affiliated club or school which offers introductory courses, either dinghy sailing, powerboat, or wind surfing. A short course would give you enough boating experience to either whet your appetite or put you off completely. You will have some sort of certificate at the end of your course. The RYA certificates are recognised all over the world. Once you get to what is called "Day Skipper" level you might be able to get some free experience crewing on other people's boats. In the Manchester area you are going to be on inland water which is not the same as being at sea, but you have to start somewhere. Here is the page you need on the RYA website.

I don't read the Scuttlebut pages so I'll not be able to help further but hope you see this and it's helpful.

Michael

ryanroberts

Visit site
Would just really like to get into boating whereby one day I'm able to sail my own out.

Going somewhere warm did it for me. Two Week Whole Ionian Flotilla | Sailing Holidays this lot are ..quite lax about sailing qualifications and will give you an ICC waiver of some sort. Flotilla has quite a bit more freedom than it sounds; you are not all lining up like the battle of Jutland but you do all moor at the same location at the end of most days and they help with the parking - by far the hardest bit of puddling round the ionian. I had zero experience of boats with sails when I first went out.

I think they also offer deals for singles to share boats if you can't find enough people to help you fill a 32 footer.

laika

Visit site
The "proper" place for a request like this would be the crewing opportunities forum but as snoopy463 says, scuttlebutt is also worth a punt: People who keep their boats on the south coast will be crossing the English channel more than folks with boats in the Bristol channel (depending of course which channel is meant :)

The problem with "join a club" answers is that you have to find one (and the south coats is a way away from you), go through some arcane joining ritual and then get to meet people before finally getting a ride. Clubs charge (sometimes a lot) of money to join.

Unless you're completely skint I'd definitely (and in fact personally did) throw money at the problem: Per TwoHooter's suggestion, do a course with a sailing school. There's a 2 day RYA "Start Yachting" course but the 5 day "Competent Crew" course should give you some real skills to make you useful when trying to convince people to take you on as crew. Search scuttlebutt for threads about school recommendations.

Re: ryanroberts's comment about sailing holidays: Yes their flotillas have (or used to) what they call a "pot luck" boat where they throw together random singles. I skippered one 11 years ago. The two other singles aboard had minimal prior yachting experience. How much you'd learn would probably depend on your random skipper but we had a good time.

Amscerp

Visit site
I am 31 and from Manchester.
I am a complete novice with boats and boating (if that's a word) and the older I get I realise how time just passes you by me sitting in idle at work then home and back and forth. I have wanted to cross the channel but have no means or way or even the slightest idea of how to do so. I guess it's the old sailor in me Captain Jack a big fan by the way.
I am just wondering if anyone or anybody knows someone who would be willing to take me aboard to accompany them on their crossing of the channel. I'm good company and ofcourse willing to chip in. Even pay a small sum of necessary for this young apprentice ?

If I can get my project finished, AND find a skipper, you could join me!!
I got to some how get my boat from Maryport to the English Channel!
And. I have not sailed either, apart from some dinghy sailing . . .. always wanted to have a go, so this boat came up as a bargain, and I am going to give it a go.

Attachments

• boat2.jpg
    boat2.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 23
  • boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 22

Other threads that may be of interest