Engineers able to make up new rudder bearing.

Bikesailer

Visit site
I ordered from them back in November and was promised delivery before Christmas. They have not been delivered yet and Trafalgar have not even contacted me, As Trafalgar are now shut till February, I need to source a replacement and get on with fitting it.

pvb

Visit site
I ordered from them back in November and was promised delivery before Christmas. They have not been delivered yet and Trafalgar have not even contacted me, As Trafalgar are now shut till February, I need to source a replacement and get on with fitting it.

That's not good, is it? Perhaps we should all stop recommending Trafalgar (although they do seem to offer spares not easily available elsewhere).

PeterWright

Visit site
Hi,

if you know the measurements or can supply a drawing (see previous post) or an original to copy, any engineering shop can turn a pair up in a couple of hours. Make sure they do not use nylon for the bearings - it absorbs water over time causing it to swell so can cause the bearing to seize. The best material for this is Delrin or some other acetal.

Peter.

DinghyMan

www.ff-systems.co.uk
Trafalgar have retired and are now only selling off their stock from their home. They did provide the Westerly Owners Association with the dimensions for the rudder bearings.
Rudder Bush Drawings - Westerly-Wiki

The WOA drawings are missing the Mk1 Konsort / Merlin / Griffon and the W25 - I have drawn up a drawing with the dimensions for both the Mk1 & 2 Westerly Konsort / Merlin / Griffon rudder bushes and need to finish it and upload it to WOA sometime but cannot find the dimensions for the W25 anywhere

Don't take the drawings as definitive - I have made bushes for Westerly's with metric replacement shafts instead of imperial and some odd mixtures of Mk1 and Mk2 bush sizes

Aquaboy

Visit site
As the thread started in 2018...........hopefully sailing by now

There is a nice little machine shop right on the quay at Woodbridge, cnc stuff but don't know if they do one offs

michael_w

Visit site
FWIW Paul Davey of PR Davey Engineering (John's bruv) on the Farthing Road Industrial Estate made a acetal rudder bearing for me, Under a week turnround, for £150. Perfect fit.