Engine issues used?

Ryanlion

Visit site
I am looking at using a boat on the non tidal thames 99% of the time, but my concern is that a 25' boat with a 175hp outboard petrol engine would not do the engine any favours running at just over tick over most of the time cruising at 5mph maximum.
I could replace the engine but I plan to take her along the cost once a year so it would be hassle/expense swopping engines.
So my question to you experienced thames boaters with bigger engines is am I worrying unnecessarily or

Ryanlion

Visit site
Apologies I can't edit my post and ipad has a mind of its: so my point is, should I be concerned about long term engine problems running it at just over tick over?

Whitlock

Visit site
This must apply to all the GRP cruisers on the Thames, especially the larger ones, so the answers will be interesting.

Chris_d

Visit site
Pretty much not a concern unless your engine has a specific known slow running issue.
Bit of an old boaters tale really with no real evidence, the main source of the myth as far as I can tell are all the old Perkins that send out smoke signals where ever they go, but they were designed in the 60's with old technology and the crap oils that were around then. A modern petrol outboard will be fine.

Ryanlion

Visit site
Thanks for the reply and it's a modern engine. I am perhaps old school in the sense that even the wife's car I take for a run down the M40 every few weeks to clear the cobwebs because she only uses it for short journeys usually in traffic and I have always believed that engines need to be opened up every now and then.

Ryanlion

Visit site
It is a 4 stroke and reassuring to know it shouldn't be a problem for the engine.

Be assured I have no intention of blasting the cobwebs off it on the non tidal Thames ?

oldgit

Visit site
Sounds like blimming good excuse to pop down through Teddington, past the Thames Barrier and give the old girl a good run.
The usual caveats about life jackets/radio and weather etc.
Leave early enough, there and back to Teddington on a single tide. ?

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
It would be very sensible to have an auxiliary like a 6 on a bracket.

Years ago (70s) one of my cousins had a speed boat he was racing around in it somewhere coastal and hit something hard which smashed the lower unit.

He didn't have an auxiliary engine so had to be towed in.