Engine inspection pre purchase

Bobc

Visit site
My advice would be to take the boat for a run and see:-

Does it start well from cold?
Does it run pretty-much smoke-free when cold (blue/grey smoke)?
Does it have grunt and push the boat along well?
Is there plenty of water coming out of the exhaust?
Does it sound ok?
Is it dry (i.e. no signs of oil or coolant leaking from the engine)?

If the answer to all the above is yes, then it's 99% certain that the engine is fine.

MJWB

Visit site

Does it sound ok?

If the answer to all the above is yes, then it's 99% certain that the engine is fine.

Thanks very much.
There are really clear useful common themes in these comments and it gives me confidence. Thank you all very much.

Caer Urfa

groups.yahoo.com
You are breaking the first rule of buying a boat to not see the engine started up from cold, even if the boat is ashore any decent marine engineer could get it running with water supply.

To just get someone to 'look' at it is a waste of your money so sorry either get the seller help to get it run up (as anyone else will also ask if they have any sense ) or walk away as there's a;ways another boat

MJWB

Visit site
You are breaking the first rule of buying a boat to not see the engine started up from cold, even if the boat is ashore any decent marine engineer could get it running with water supply.

To just get someone to 'look' at it is a waste of your money so sorry either get the seller help to get it run up (as anyone else will also ask if they have any sense ) or walk away as there's a;ways another boat

Thanks for that. Fully intend to seek to see engine run from cold. My question has been how else I can get the reassurance on engine condition due to my lack of knowledge.

Dutch01527

Visit site
I had a test and inspection done on my 30 year old engine when I bought the boat. Cost about £200. All given a clean bill of health.

On delivery it became clear that there was a gearbox fault in reverse, slipping clutch which reduced reverse power. Engineer who did the inspection said that his check was engine only, not gearbox.

Bit of a waste of money having the inspection done in retrospect.

wallacebob

Visit site
I’m sure you have done the obvious:
Google marine diesel engineer in your area
Ask at your nearest boat yard/club
Lots of commercial yards in that area too

Is the boat in a marina? Boat yard? Private land? Ask the staff or the current owner for advice. Be prepared for people being“ too busy”. They will be overrun with work if they can work. Many firms are still not fully operational. They may not travel or be allowed onto your boat. Bad timing! Aside: how will you transport it? Do you have a berth or mooring? Sorting those out may be problematic for some time.

Amlov

Visit site
Hi, when I sold my last boat the prospective purchaser had an engineer's report done. This came back with a few nit picky things that the broker insisted were my responsibility to fix. in reality these were cosmetic and the most important thing that was identified was there was a small crack in one of the two plastic mounts holding the oil hand change pump. The pump was firmly fixed and I replaced the bracket for about £5. The engineer's report did however say that the engine started and ran well without any faults.

However, the point of this post is that the rev counter had stopped at exactly the same position as the picture I took before the engineer visited and when I turned the ignition on reset to zero as normal. I therefore concluded that the engine hadn't be run and challenged this with the broker. When the broker subsequently asked the engineer about this he was told that as the engine was on the hard he simply ran it for a few seconds without connecting up a water supply, which I remain sceptical of.

Anyway, I was left with the impression that the inspection was little more than a visual check of the engine and if agreeing an engine inspection I would suggest that you insist that it includes starting from cold and running up to temperature.

I'm sure this engineer is not typical, but with a boat out of the water it is important to establish just what is going to be covered by the inspection.

Andy

peteK

Visit site
When I sold a boat on brokerage the potential buyer had the engine tested by the yard that was selling it not an independent one,needless to say it passed.

MJWB

Visit site
I'd like to thank everyone who replied to my enquiry. I've learnt so much from these shared experiences and the knowledge you folks have shared with me. What a great way to learn from the experience of others. Thank you all.
I'm regarding this thread as closed now.
Btw the engine started well.

Spyro

Visit site

Does it sound ok?

I'd add to that does it overheat if ran hard