Engine bay fire extinguishers

Visit site
I can’t thank you all enough for your responses. The photo has certainly helped too!
once again, the YBW forum saves the day!!
Let’s hope we can all get back to boating soon ?

Jamie Dundee

Visit site
There should be a black cap/plug that you pull out to poke the extinguisher in.
If this is the same as the Antares I have a 2kg powder extinguisher next to the steps where the hole is. The problem for me is that you’re at the bottom of the steps into the fore cabin on the wrong side of the engine bay to the cockpit. I think by the time I needed to poke an extinguisher through the hole I’d be out in the cockpit preparing to abandon ship.

Scubadoo

Visit site

jamie langstone

Visit site
If this is the same as the Antares I have a 2kg powder extinguisher next to the steps where the hole is. The problem for me is that you’re at the bottom of the steps into the fore cabin on the wrong side of the engine bay to the cockpit. I think by the time I needed to poke an extinguisher through the hole I’d be out in the cockpit preparing to abandon ship.

The hatch is on the outside of the cabin so the right side of the cabin for abandoning ship.

Nine Lives

Visit site
Hi all,

I am looking to fit a fire extinguisher in my engine bay but I am in a bit of a dilema.

Is it best to have an automatic extinguisher at a certain temperature OR a manual pull chord one? For the pull chord, is there a simple modification that can be done to any extinguisher?
Also, where is the optimal place to put the extinguisher?

I have a Jeanneau Merry Fisher 805.

Thank you!
Hi - I’m about to take delivery of a MF1095 and this has outboards, which I believe your 805 would too. Is that the case? It may well alter the choice of extinguishers

harvey38

Visit site
Watching this with interest, we have an Aquastar 38 with twin 250hp engines and I want rid of the large, single extinguisher and so far has settled on clean agent units but is it best to have three units, one either side and centre of the engines or one large unit sited centrally?

Now exploring Stat-x but I can find no prices on the web?

freddyuk

Visit site
I had 2 auto extinguishers on my 805 sitting on the main frames forward engine compartment. (Nanni) The battery was in between them across the frames. I wanted to install hot water calorifier and the perfect place was where the battery was in the bilge so that was moved to the side and the extinguishers moved out as otherwise there is no access to change belts etc as you need to stand on the frames. I then fixed one extinguisher to the rear hatch which is just below the fuel inlet and filter. You can then easily remove the hatch and extinguisher as a unit. As said there is also a hole for firing an extinguisher into the engine from the lazerette through the same hatch. I also have a small one under the helm. CO sensor in the cabin but could put one in the engine bay. The remaining auto extinguisher can be fixed to the wall of the engine compartment above the engine. Once I get he boat back from repair yard (another story) I can finish off the works but who knows when it can be delivered. (legally!)

Scubadoo

Visit site
Watching this with interest, we have an Aquastar 38 with twin 250hp engines and I want rid of the large, single extinguisher and so far has settled on clean agent units but is it best to have three units, one either side and centre of the engines or one large unit sited centrally?

I was advise only to install a single fire extinguisher with a large enough capacity for the engine bay area. Installing more than one fire extinguisher would be smaller and hence potentially not have capacity to totally extinguish a fire ie all of the them would need to be triggered at the same time to extinguish a fire.

I emailed and spoke to the stat-x guys at marinefiresafety, they confirmed capacity and then gave me a price, they were very helpful.

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
www.jensenengland.co.uk

Not sure your insurance company would approve.
In the event of fire multiple extinguishers may not go off together. Rather one goes off puts out half the fire and it takes hold again and triggers the second extinguisher which puts out half the fire.

BruceK

Visit site
Not sure your insurance company would approve.
In the event of fire multiple extinguishers may not go off together. Rather one goes off puts out half the fire and it takes hold again and triggers the second extinguisher which puts out half the fire.
Or have two or mor each capable of putting out a fire. Fire's have a habit of restarting.

ontheplane

Visit site
My understanding of the “one not two extinguishers” rule was as said above, the fear of two smaller extinguishers is that one fires up, but fails to extinguish the fire, it runs out, and the fire slowly takes hold again....

I would however assume that 2 fire extinguishers that are BOTH capable of extinguishing the fire ON THEIR OWN would be perfectly ok - in fact, preferable as it allows for some redundancy?

fred247

Visit site
We have a firetrace clean agent system in the engine bay, with the unit mounted in the lazerette out of the way, this is supplemented with 2 x 2kg auto fm200 extinguishers mounted overhead either side of the battery box, 3 x 200amp batteries. along with an additional 6 x 2kg extinguishers around the boat, galley, saloon, cockpit, bedrooms etc. plus additional 2kg in the lazerette near the eberspatcher.