Electronic Toys

G

Having put back together the hydraulics, renewed the lights and alarms in the Stowe, resealed the windows etc, finally sailed around to Chichester on Saturday. On the way I flashed up my new JRC 1500 on 3 and 6 mile range and was very impressed with the display. Was it only 6 years ago I was content bumbling around the CI in Fog without even RDF or Decca with just echo sounder, chart and pencil.? Suspect after a couple of seasons it will become indspensible. But it was good to be back on the water

G

So what\'s the story ..

You must have an interesting tale to tell to justify spending money on gizmos which you didn't used to need.

I'll need a good fright myself to justify a radar - After about 5 years without, I got Decca as soon as I could get one for under £200, did the same with GPS and am still waiting (another 10 years) for the radar prices to fall.

Was it fog?

G

So what\'s the story ..

You must have an interesting tale to tell to justify spending money on gizmos which you didn't used to need.

I'll need a good fright myself to justify a radar - After about 5 years without, I got Decca as soon as I could get one for under £200, did the same with GPS and am still waiting (another 10 years) for the radar prices to fall.

Was it fog?

G

Just letting us know he had lots of money to spend. Remember Harry Enfield's loadsa'money

G

We sell JRC radars. Anyone know if we are not the cheapest on the web?? Tell me if not.

G

What is Fog?

It's part of the brain which can be inpaired by the eyes depending what time you may or may not have left the pub the night before. You see things you thought you saw and thinking you saw it you are sure you saw what you think you thought you were sure of what you were sure you saw, So now you are sure you know what you saw you know for sure you saw what you thought you know you saw or thought you saw.

So now thats clear you can go and buy that radar James. Dave Beckett.

G

I bought a Raytheon radar and i\'m HAPPY WITH IT. It shows all the buoys on the darkest foggiest night trying to get back singlehanded.

nm

G

Re: So what\'s the story ..

Yes, James it was Fog, but what I was trying to put across was, once you buy these toys you soon find yourself wondering how on earth you managed without them, like TV, PCs and Mobiles.

G

I wish I had loads of money - could buy a new yacht then-fat chance of that happening. Having saved up a few pennies, it was choice between a new fangled digital VHF or something I thought I would be more usefull, a Radar.

G

Re: I bought a Raytheon radar and i\'m HAPPY WITH IT. It shows all the buoys on the darkest foggiest night trying to get back singlehanded.

Which on did you buy? We need a radar and as we are new to the boat owning thing would appreciate any guidance you could give.

G

Hey that\'s better than a Radar:

you're talking about intuition! If it's that good I can save my (OK the bank's) thou for a few years longer.

Or did I miss your point?

I'll try again after some more mental lubrication.

G

Am I going nuts or isn\'t this...

...blatant advertising? I am not trying to start anything here, and I am not complaining, but I have just had a roasting from Marian for 'promoting' the magazine which I have sweated blood to put online for anyone who wants to read it, entirely for FREE, having invested in all the necessary equipment, site fees and Internet time, out of my grafted-for savings and a tiny lump of cash left to me by my mum, and made to feel as though I were somehow cheating someone or doing a bad thing and the next thread I read, to escape from all that unpleasantness, I find this! I just hope to goodness you're not one of the self-satisfied, and rather unpleasant, people who have been putting two and two together and coming up with anything but four, impuning my good name without a second thought and casting aspersions which are not only unfounded but stupid, on nearby threads. That would just be adding insult to injury. Sorry, Kev, whoever you are, you don't really deserve a lambasting, I'm sure, but you can thank the 'I've had it up to here' thread for my fit of 'board rage'...I hope you sell lots of cheap radars and become a millionaire as a result of your posting. It would be nice to think that something good had come out of today's postings, anyway. Good luck!

G

Re: Am I going nuts or isn\'t this...

I'm certainly not one of the people that have slated anybody for "advertising" on newsgroups/forums. I'm not that sort of person. Like you, I'm just paying a mortgage. But I do love sailing as well. I've sacrificed a good job to earn a living from boating. please email me direct, I looked at your site for adding link/ad but didn't get very far with it.

I have noticed that some of my postings get removed as have some added by my customers but I'd expect that considering YBW's close links with on-line-marine.com!! Finally IT ISN'T ME!! the bad press wouldn't be worth it even if I thought I could gain from it, it would be short lived.

kev smith www.yachtbits.co.uk