Effect of moving chainplates closer to the mast

Tranona

Visit site
And 3.5k for new rigging and a furler sounds pretty steep on a boat like that.

About the going rate as doing just that on a similar size boat, except might get away with just a service on the furler which brings it down to just around £2k.

dunedin

Visit site
OK let's put this to bed. It's clear that you all consider moving the chainplates is a bad idea, and I would be foolish to ignore the accumulated knowledge and experience that says so.

I will, instead, look deeper into using a smaller head sail for upwind and a larger sail for off the wind set on a retractable bowsprit. The idea of a folding prop is good.

Just for the record, I am not attempting to turn a sows' ear into a silk purse. I just get mildly brassed off being overtaken by boats of similar size and speed but which can sail a bit closer to the wind. I know that's life but there's no harm in trying improve matters.

For all your contributions, my deepest thanks.
Good plan. And good that you are keen to improve the upwind sailing efficiency, and not just slam on the diesel.

A few suggestions for the new plan:
- try to get somebody to take a few picture of the sail set (eg from the dinghy as you sail past) to see the sails from out of the boat,
- look at how the genoa is sheeted - on more than 50% (probably 80%!) of the boats we pass upwind the genoa is not sheeted tightly enough, and or sheet angle wrong, so the top of the sail is not effective (keep the boat luffed slightly whilst winching in)
- the leech of the mainsail is actually critical to pointing ability - must never be bagged (tighten the halyard/downhaul if necessary) but tightening the leech can often help pointing
- good sails are a joy to sail with - old bags are not

bignick

Visit site
No. Don’t do it.
It’s not the increase in shroud tension that is the problem, it is the corresponding increase in mast compression that would Increase the risk of buckling. The mast section is designed to handle a maximum buckling load case and you would likely exceed it. Secondly, you would narrow the shroud angle with the mast as well, which causes further mast stability issues.

bignick

Visit site
Ah, just seen #20. Good plan.

As well as thinking about what’s above the water, you can also do a lot below It, a lot of which you can do yourself. A great way of improving boat speed and pointing if you prefer to spend your time on it instead of large sums of £££.

Also think about mast rake, rig tension etc.

DownWest

Visit site

A third idea would be to use a bowsprit to move the foresail further forward, increasing the distance from the sheeting point, which would reduce the angle of the sail to the wind. I'll have to give that some thought.
Apart from the rig tension problems and the chainplates, which, unless you do them yourself, could be expensive, The idea of moving the headsail further forward could give you lee helm, not a good idea. OK (sort of..) down wind, but not up wind in a blow.
It does sound like if it really worries you, flog it and buy something a bit more close winded. Likely a lot cheaper than the alterations.

'Corse, any two yachts that happen to be on similar courses, then you have a 'race' One gets twitchy and starts adjusting things, then considering alterations. Don't!