Effect of Coronavirus on Mental Health

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Possibly, I should qualify my previous answer, whilst I think it possible Portugal may continue to permit local sailing (to and from the same port) within Portuguese Waters, I think it less than likely they will welcome vessels from foreign parts.

As from yesterday evening, you can forget about doing anything in Portugal except go to work, the supermarket or pharmacy, there now exists a State of Emergency.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
We just been given new rules from the mayor , only one person from each family can go shopping ,
And . The practice of any outdoor physical and sporting activity, even individually, is prohibited.
You can still walk your dog , my partner going out to morrow to buy a dog lead and collar .
We now in our 10 day of lock down.

Star-Lord

Visit site
LOL my dog has run away Officer!

Lockdown may not be over in Sardinia on April 4th - many think it will last till after Easter.
Got a good quote for 10 month contract here - July and Aug not included. Italy allows you to officially live on a boat now so may apply for residency.
Further east you go the hospital will be less available. Interesting have not heard about Turkey... no one on this forum in Turkey?

What are your plans for laters?

nortada

Visit site
As from yesterday evening, you can forget about doing anything in Portugal except go to work, the supermarket or pharmacy, there now exists a State of Emergency.
And drinking red wine on the boat in the sun or walking on the beach looking for your dog but do observe social distancing and don't forget the lead.

Life could be a whole lot worse.

Last edited:

rib

Visit site
LOL my dog has run away Officer!

Lockdown may not be over in Sardinia on April 4th - many think it will last till after Easter.
Got a good quote for 10 month contract here - July and Aug not included. Italy allows you to officially live on a boat now so may apply for residency.
Further east you go the hospital will be less available. Interesting have not heard about Turkey... no one on this forum in Turkey?

What are your plans for laters?
Im in turkey,not to bad at moment

rib

Visit site
Stay safe! Turkey: New steps announced to fight coronavirus It seems Turkey is either in for a shock or maybe go relatively unscathed.

What are the hospitals like there? I hear foreigners are required to get medical ins. Is it expensive? Does it guarantee top quality care?
Good morning,.no not expensive,we have a new ish hospital with in a mile.we brought ours for £120 for two ,one of us in our 60s for a year.we have temporay res as well.thou i think rightly or wrongly that charging for care may be well down the list.we were given a list of private hospitals to use but i think that they will all be used pre sa in the near future.all peeps from today over 65 have to wear face masks .its funny one reads they are not of much use ,but are required urgently around the world !.can any hospital /country once under strain guarantee top quality ??.food and supplies not a issue here at moment,but we have dry stores all ready stored just incase.i can fish and we have a fish farm within dingy distance !!.i think the thing to do is read between the news lines,(all countrys spin it in some way)apply your own commen sense.be extra careful,and hope ?.we can still sail if we want with no guarantee being allowed back in .stay safe your selfs and best wishes

sailaboutvic

Visit site
the mayor of Lucera, Antonio Tutolo, was maybe having a mental Heath issue , one thing for sure he wasn't mincing his words with his Facebook address.

“These f*****g hairdressers who go into houses to cut women's hair, what the f**k are they for? Do you understand that the coffin will be closed? Who's going to see you with your hair fixed in the coffin?”

Star-Lord

Visit site
the mayor of Lucera, Antonio Tutolo, was maybe having a mental Heath issue , one thing for sure he wasn't mincing his words with his Facebook address.

“These f*****g hairdressers who go into houses to cut women's hair, what the f**k are they for? Do you understand that the coffin will be closed? Who's going to see you with your hair fixed in the coffin?”
He's spot on!

V1701

Visit site
All we've really got our heads round here in the UK is that the shops are shut so we've stopped "going shopping", apart from food and pharmacy. But there are still so many whose mindset is "what can we get away with" not "how can we help" and because of this it's inevitable that, like everywhere else, we'll have to be locked down further. But in the UK the police are nowhere near properly resourced to deal with all this and add in the fact that a significant section of British Society cannot resist behaving like total dicks whatever situation they're in make it distinctly possible that there may be civil unrest/disobedience or whatever else you want to call it, the like of which has not really been seen elsewhere. That, sadly, is how I see it going here despite the majority of people really doing their best. There's more being done currently by businesses , local authorities, etc. taking it upon themselves to implement measures, Boris for whatever reason has not got the balls to do what's required and hides behind the excuse that they're being guided by the science. I work for the NHS, not on the frontline, and I fear very much for my colleagues who are...

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Day 14 here has started in Sicily with torrential rain and winds haven't got much sleep with rope snatching and squeezing from the early hours ,
We expected gust touching 50 kts for a good part of the day .
With only part of the break water repaired after the last southern storm we hoping the wind stays more to the East other wise if it move to the south ,
it be fun and games again we nearly lost the pontoon we are on last time. It had to have some major repairs and so did some of the boats moored to it .
Combine that with the heavy rain when we normally power lost , so there a good chance we have no electricity,
It's not going to do anybody mental Heath much good.

We all doing our bit to keep our spirits up , friends in Spain are having quiz nights over the VHF, I bet people are now getting good at fast googling answers :) .

Here it's keep fit on the fro deck with instructions given over one boat PA system,
I sure some back home reading this are thinking , they losing the plot ,
Even I when it was suggested over the morning radio started to wonder if Butlin have arrived in Sicily , but every one was having fun and laughter could again be heard in the marina, I might even join in my self next time .

I'm not a fan of watching home made you tube sailing vid but I have to say seeing people on boats does cheer you up a bit if nothing else seeing how some making mistake you made yourself over the years.

Any way to our sailing comrade back Home I know your very disappointed not to be getting your boats ready for the season and as the days goes on desperately may push you to do things you wouldn't normally do,
maybe the answer is make plains for when it all come to an end ( the virus not the world) and stopping thinking that the season is washed out ,
Get out them old charts the old plotter and practice old days navigating, it was fun then it be fun again ,
if we all play our part with some luck we may all get some time out sailing this year
Good morning everyone

Star-Lord

Visit site
Oh, that's a shame. When I made that comment your last four posts were blank.

It was as though someone had stopped talking REALLY loudly in a restaurant.

Now they're populated with even more videos.

Ever looked up OCD? I'm sure there's a video about it somewhere
Welcome to the thread ;)

sailaboutvic

Visit site
after three days of wind and rain that kept us all stuck down below,
Sunday Day 17 came like a breath of fresh air with sun shining, bright blue sky and the hour going forward marking the first day of summer time,
a bit of fun for us in our Marina , a morning of keep fit on the deck with instructions coming from one boat PA followed by music and dancing again on the decks well away from each others not by meters but servals boat length in the afternoon.
But let there be no misunderstanding, under the smiles and the joking people are really worried what the future weeks are going to bring,
Even the most positive person in the marina are now looking worst for wear.
The day finish with more rain
Day 18 isn't looking much better rain thumping on the roof and a over cast sky.
We just four day from the original date we was give that they maybe be a relaxing of the lockdown but it stand to reason that day will come and we still be in lockdown mode.
On the positive side we all well and making the most of it and when ever we leave the marina we leave in shining polish boats with all our equipment in tip top conditions.

Last edited:

Star-Lord

Visit site
after three days of wind and rain that kept us all stuck down below,
Sunday Day 17 came like a breath of fresh air with sun shining, bright blue sky and the hour going forward marking the first day of summer time,
a bit of fun for us in our Marina , a morning of keep fit on the deck with instructions coming from one boat PA followed by music and dancing again on the decks well away from each others not by meters but servals boat length in the afternoon.
But let there be no misunderstanding, under the smiles and the joking people are really worried what the future weeks are going to bring,
Even the most positive person in the marina are now looking worst for wear.
The day finish with more rain
Day 18 isn't looking much better rain thumping on the roof and a over cast sky.
We just four day from the original date we was give that they maybe be a relaxing of the lockdown but it stand to reason that day will come and we still be in lockdown mode.
On the positive side we all well and making the most of it and when ever we leave the marina we leave in shining polish boats with all our equipment in tip top conditions.
The word is Italy will remain in lockdown till April 18th and then will be reviewed again. Imho I do not believe lockdown will be lifted until the stats improved or it will have been a pointless exercise. I think May will probably be a write off as well.
I hope your marina does not get too despondent! I think being on a boat in a marina is a lot better than many alternatives I can think of.

I would be interested to hear what peoples plans are for the next 12 months or so..

sailaboutvic

Visit site
The word is Italy will remain in lockdown till April 18th and then will be reviewed again. Imho I do not believe lockdown will be lifted until the stats improved or it will have been a pointless exercise. I think May will probably be a write off as well.
I hope your marina does not get too despondent! I think being on a boat in a marina is a lot better than many alternatives I can think of.

I would be interested to hear what peoples plans are for the next 12 months or so..
Hi where did you get the 18th April from? , we still haven't heard any more .

We have a good community here with a mix load from over Europe we even got one Chinese couple .
We keeping up our sprit alThought it is getting to some but that's to be expected , I finding from the emails I had from other In then MED, that last year newcomers to liveaboard seen to be dealing with it better , it may be because it's all new to them plus most had no intention of moving till after May so they hopeful they still can, what going to happen if we all still stuck in marina once it start getting very hot is anything .