Effect of Coronavirus on Mental Health

Star-Lord

Visit site
I don’t think Portugal will be closed but that is not the same as sailing in this direction on the off chance it will be open to traffic from other countries.

As all boarders between Spain and Portugal are closed, Unless you plan a very long sail, Portugal is effectively already cut off from all other countries (UK & France).

I anticipate foreign flagged vessels, already resident in Portugal, will be permitted to remain; especially if the skipper/crew holds Portuguese residency.

If not, I am committed to hauling or a very long sea leg direct Portugal to UK☹ Done it once but don’t want to do it again.
You asked me why did I think Portugal would be open in the summer. And you say that you do not think Portugal will be closed. So we both agree that Portugal will be open in the summer.

Sailing across Biscay on the off chance is not recommended imo. Plan the trip well in advance would be my advice. I am quite sure V1701 would not sail anywhere on the off chance. His plan is to sail his Bowman to Portugal and get his residency and I am offering him my encouragement. I think it is a good plan and I hope he makes it.

I am certain foreign flagged vessels will be permitted to remain in Portugal. Why would they be required to leave? Most boats in Portugal are foreign flagged - so if they all departed the marinas and yards - all the marinas and yards would go broke. It will never happen.

I did not realise you were a sailor I thought you had power boat. I wish you fair winds for the summer.

Last edited:

nortada

Visit site
You asked me why did I think Portugal would be open in the summer. And you say that you do not think Portugal will be closed. So we both agree that Portugal will be open in the summer.

Sailing across Biscay on the off chance is not recommended imo. Plan the trip well in advance would be my advice. I am quite sure V1701 would not sail anywhere on the off chance. His plan is to sail his Bowman to Portugal and get his residency and I am offering him my encouragement. I think it is a good plan and I hope he makes it.

I am certain foreign flagged vessels will be permitted to remain in Portugal. Why would they be required to leave? Most boats in Portugal are foreign flagged - so if they all departed the marinas and yards - all the marinas and yards would go broke. It will never happen.

I did not realise you were a sailor I thought you had power boat. I wish you fair winds for the summer.

Possibly, I should qualify my previous answer, whilst I think it possible Portugal may continue to permit local sailing (to and from the same port) within Portuguese Waters, I think it less than likely they will welcome vessels from foreign parts.

It could be suggested that if you have been at sea for more than 14 days, with no symptoms in the crew then you have self isolated but I suspect this argument could fall on deaf ears. Would you fly the yellow duster on arrival❓

I would contend that power boat owners are sailors but what gave you the idea that I have a power boat in Portugal❓

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Possibly, I should qualify my previous answer, whilst I think it possible Portugal may continue to permit local sailing (to and from the same port) within Portuguese Waters, I think it less than likely they will welcome vessels from foreign parts.

It could be suggested that if you have been at sea for more than 14 days, with no symptoms in the crew then you have self isolated but I suspect this argument could fall on deaf ears. Would you fly the yellow duster on arrival❓

I would contend that power boat owners are sailors but what gave you the idea that I have a power boat in Portugal❓
Power boat sailing yacht things are bad enough lets not get into the power to sailing argument we all in the same boat so to speak.
Plus many yachtmens get to a age that they go from sailing to power , it doesn't make them a worst or better person.
Putting that to one side Italy started allowed boats to sail in and out the same port , within fews days that was taken away I guess the same will happen in Portugal , only local fishing boats are on the move now.
I can't understand this desire some have to want to move out of a safe harbour or marina to go out to sea when they clearly know nearly every country on this side of the earth is on lock down.

nortada

Visit site
Power boat sailing yacht things are bad enough lets not get into the power to sailing argument we all in the same boat so to speak.
Plus many yachtmens get to a age that they go from sailing to power , it doesn't make them a worst or better person.
Putting that to one side Italy started allowed boats to sail in and out the same port , within fews days that was taken away I guess the same will happen in Portugal , only local fishing boats are on the move now.
I can't understand this desire some have to want to move out of a safe harbour or marina to go out to sea when they clearly know nearly every country on this side of the earth is on lock down.

I was just putting Star-Lord straight on my boating activities. Having both sail and power boats I am hardly likely to get into any argument on this subject.

A concern about an extended stay in expensive marinas is being voiced by some.

One solution would be to spend time in a local anchorage and only enter marinas of replenishment. A ploy regularly used by boats in Portugal, who spend the winter months (Oct to Mar) a marina but anchor out over the summer. In many cases they do not leave Portuguese Waters.

Last edited:

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I was just putting Star-Lord straight on my boating activities. Having both sail and boats I am hardly likely to get into any argument on this subject.

One solution would be to spend time in a local anchorage and only enter marinas of replenishment. A ploy regularly used by boats in Portugal, who spend the winter months (Oct to Mar) a marina but anchor out over the summer. In many cases they do not leave Portuguese Waters.
A less spending time at a anchorage would be some thing, but at the moment at our end of the woods no moments means no moment so we don't have that option , I think you find same will happen soon your end too.
How long for is anybody guess.
We in the position where our three months winter contract run out last Sunday , we still waiting to hear from the marina what deal if any they going to give us . So far no reply to our email , not sure if that's good or bad news.

Star-Lord

Visit site

Yes, I believe the Q flag must be flown if you enter Portuguese waters and anchor. There may be unlucky boats all around Europe mid ocean when the lockdown started.

You could very well be right about restrictions placed on vessels. It would make sense any restrictions would be lifted once the airport are open. Are Portuguese airports open... I will Google my question :)

Nortarda, I would like to know how the boats up the river are getting on. Any news?

Star-Lord

Visit site
A less spending time at a anchorage would be some thing, but at the moment at our end of the woods no moments means no moment so we don't have that option , I think you find same will happen soon your end too.
We in the position where our three months winter contract run out last Sunday , we still waiting to hear from the marina what deal if any they going to give us . So far no reply to our email , not sure if that's good or bad news.
Restrictions end April 3 or 4th. There may be a ban on anchoring for foreign flagged vessels. Aug rates here are crazy! I think we will be let out in summer. Let's hope so anyway.

Star-Lord

Visit site
I was just putting Star-Lord straight on my boating activities. Having both sail and boats I am hardly likely to get into any argument on this subject.

Yes, you seem to like putting me straight but always seem to fall short of the mark! I am not sure my assumption that you were a power boat owner requires correction because you say you do have a power boat! But as I said on page 1 - this thread is about our mental health issues so I take no offence to anyone on this thread.

Last edited:

Star-Lord

Visit site
Yes I agree. I think my marina is safe. And virtually empty. Which is good.
My last boat was a power boat. Breakfast in England, lunch in France :)

nortada

Visit site
Yes, I believe the Q flag must be flown if you enter Portuguese waters and anchor. There may be unlucky boats all around Europe mid ocean when the lockdown started.

You could very well be right about restrictions placed on vessels. It would make sense any restrictions would be lifted once the airport are open. Are Portuguese airports open... I will Google my question :)

Nortarda, I would like to know how the boats up the river are getting on. Any news?

Can't remember when I last saw a Q flag in Portuguese Waters but it must happen.

So far as i am aware, Faro Airport is open except to flights from/to Spain.

Sorry, as I am at the opposite end of the Algarve, I have no idea what is going on up the Guadiana.

Last edited:

nortada

Visit site
Yes, you seem to like putting me straight but always seem to fall short of the mark! I am not sure my assumption that you were a power boat owner requires correction because you say you do have a power boat! But as I said on page 1 - this thread is about our mental health issues so I take no offence to anyone on this thread.

Sorry, possibly I should have add that as the power boat is in the UK but for the foreseeable future, I probably won't be, my thought and comments are centered on the sail boat in Portugal. As I have spent most of my adult life with both and sail, I see only the virtues in both. ;)

Star-Lord

Visit site
Sorry, possibly I should have add that as the power boat is in the UK but for the foreseeable future, I probably won't be, my thought and comments are centered on the sail boat in Portugal. As I have spent most of my adult life with both and sail, I see only the virtues in both. ;)
I would like a boat back home as well. Maybe a narrow boat for canals. I looked at some Widebeams but they seem very limited and will not fit the nice routes and mostly stay in the marina. Chugging from pub to pub in the summer sounds very civilised ?

ryanroberts

Visit site
I would like a boat back home as well. Maybe a narrow boat for canals. I looked at some Widebeams but they seem very limited and will not fit the nice routes and mostly stay in the marina. Chugging from pub to pub in the summer sounds very civilised ?

Yes widebeams tend to be pretty immobile. Most of the nicest canals are narrow (and up north). Standedge is quite a unique combined boating / caving experience if you don't mind risking the paint work.

Star-Lord

Visit site
Yes widebeams tend to be pretty immobile. Most of the nicest canals are narrow (and up north). Standedge is quite a unique combined boating / caving experience if you don't mind risking the paint work.

Thx for that. It is nice to be reminded that there is light at the end of the tunnel ??

V1701

Visit site

Vic do you know what their reasoning is for why you can't just go for a couple of hours sail from your marina and come straight back in? Is it as simple as they have enough to worry about without checking whether the boat coming in was out for a quick sail or has he just arrived from Coronavirus Central I guess. Just interested to know, it would ease the stress of being confined to barracks for sure if you were allowed...

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Vic do you know what their reasoning is for why you can't just go for a couple of hours sail from your marina and come straight back in? Is it as simple as they have enough to worry about without checking whether the boat coming in was out for a quick sail or has he just arrived from Coronavirus Central I guess. Just interested to know, it would ease the stress of being confined to barracks for sure if you were allowed...
If been made very clear that there is only limited moments, this includes everyone , cars , sea going vessel i.e. Going shopping or work we now have to carried a form to say where we going there even helicopters flying around , not sure what it's for but as mostly it around the town I guessing it to keep an eye out what's going on, even work on the break water then was badly damage some months back have stop .
The last government document I read stated ports was closed,

V1701

Visit site
If been made very clear that there is only limited moments, this includes everyone , cars , sea going vessel i.e. Going shopping or work we now have to carried a form to say where we going there even helicopters flying around , not sure what it's for but as mostly it around the town I guessing it to keep an eye out what's going on, even work on the break water then was badly damage some months back have stop .
The last government document I read stated ports was closed,

Fair enough in the circumstances, be the same here in UK before long I expect. Stay safe Vic...

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Fair enough in the circumstances, be the same here in UK before long I expect. Stay safe Vic...
I been reading your posting about taken time out , it's a bummer , only you can decide what to do , if it was me I would postponed, some are getting the impression come the 5th April it's all going to be over , they living coco land , even if there some kind of drop in case there isn't anyway things are going to go back to normal that soon , the real hope will be if a big improvement happen in Italy as it the first country to be lock down then there hope , but we don't expect any good news for another month, if we lucky .