Effect of Coronavirus on Mental Health

Star-Lord

Visit site
Sardinia, Italy. I have talked to one person today - my neighbour at the end of the pontoon.

We view others who come onto our pontoon and visit their boats with suspicion. Are they infected? Why are they not at home? Who was that couple on the Benneatau yesterday? Were they from the North of Italy escaping the worst hit areas (a cause of concern for Sardinians ;) Or were they locals ignoring the curfew? Oh they were from Begium! Thats okay then. And they went home today. There are already reports of neighbours informing on each other for disobeying the rules - like wandering to far from home. I mean you don't want your neighbour to catch anything by being careless and then give it to you right?

My neighbour is over 70 and he looks healthier and fitter than I do. His doctor has a boat close by, so he gets his medication delivered to the boat. He is Italian with a rather nice Rival 42. His wife was Welsh and his two children are in England. His children are trying to get Italian passports after Brexit but it seems more complicated than it should be. When we speak I keep at least three meters distance. I am constantly moving backwards to keep a good distance. We are told two meters, but I like an oversized anchor because its better to be safe than sorry so 3 meters for me because imagine giving the bug to your elderly neighbour and he goes tits up. And obviously I want to feel safe.

When the lockdown ends will there be an almighty piss-up and shag fest? I reckon there should be! But this is Italy not England. But there may be a surprise, could be opportunities. Kissing was banned weeks ago. What happens when the ban is lifted?

In three weeks, time when the lock down ends, I think it will feel strange to be closer than two or three meters to someone else. And if anyone coughs or sneezes will everyone leave the building? What if someone coughs in your boat!? Start bleaching the surfaces, it could save your life. The thing is what happens if you are not in the high risk category and you have a unknown condition that you are not aware of and would normally not be a problem for a very long time? It could be you, right?

Last edited:

V1701

Visit site
I live in Brighton Marina - possibly several hundred of us do full time so feck knows what will happen. The state the communal facilities are often left in beggars belief, I couldn't buy disinfectant wipes even if I wanted to, if they close the facilities the marina itself will become an open sewer and if they ban boats from leaving the marina we'll really start to lose it...:confused:

Star-Lord

Visit site
I live in Brighton Marina - possibly several hundred of us do full time so feck knows what will happen. The state the communal facilities are often left in beggars belief, I couldn't buy disinfectant wipes even if I wanted to, if they close the facilities the marina itself will become an open sewer and if they ban boats from leaving the marina we'll really start to lose it...:confused:
I spent a winter in Brighton Marina. East is best ;) Yes the facilities are a bit overused and undercared for. However facilities here, there is one other liveabooard on this long pontoon, are not being used because if you are going to pick up an infection that is where it will happen. Interestingly a few years ago I was in Brighton visitors pontoon for a couple of months in the summer when I had a power boat. I always used the heads on board and the very large holding tank and took showers aboard. A member of staff came to check up on me to make sure I was not discharging into the sea... the fob you have will tell them if you use it for the shower and toilet block. So my advise would be to use your fob - but not go in - and use a bucket or be creative. I actually did my Comp Crew and Day Skipper with Lagoon. Did you know Mike Stevens?

Last edited:

ryanroberts

Visit site
I am absolutely amazed at my timing to go spend a lot of time on a yacht without an annual marina contract, relying initially on friends being able to travel to move the bulk of my stuff onboard once it's in the UK etc. Visions of washing my undies in salt water tied to a buoy for months eating cold food as much of our supply chain is for leisure purposes.

V1701

Visit site
I am absolutely amazed at my timing to go spend a lot of time on a yacht without an annual marina contract, relying initially on friends being able to travel to move the bulk of my stuff onboard once it's in the UK etc. Visions of washing my undies in salt water tied to a buoy for months eating cold food as much of our supply chain is for leisure purposes.

I may be able to trump that - a one year unpaid sabbatical from work beginning on June 1st, the plan being to sail my little Bowman 26 to Portugal, park her up in a marina & use that as an address with which to get a 5 year residency. My job has been advertised on a 1 year contract the closing date for which is 19/3 and I am now actually considering trying to cancel the sabbatical. The original plan was to do all this next year but it likely wouldn't be possible then due to Brexit. Whilst I totally appreciate that my concerns pale into utter insignificance in the grand scheme of things I am gutted if I'm honest...

ryanroberts

Visit site
I may be able to trump that - a one year unpaid sabbatical from work beginning on June 1st, the plan being to sail my little Bowman 26 to Portugal, park her up in a marina & use that as an address with which to get a 5 year residency. My job has been advertised on a 1 year contract the closing date for which is 19/3 and I am now actually considering trying to cancel the sabbatical. The original plan was to do all this next year but it likely wouldn't be possible then due to Brexit. Whilst I totally appreciate that my concerns pale into utter insignificance in the grand scheme of things I am gutted if I'm honest...

Yeah that's nightmare timing mate. Even planning house rental for that seems pretty high risk right now.

V1701

Visit site
I spent a winter in Brighton Marina. East is best ;) Yes the facilities are a bit overused and undercared for. However facilities here, there is one other liveabooard on this long pontoon, are not being used because if you are going to pick up an infection that is where it will happen. Interestingly a few years ago I was in Brighton visitors pontoon for a couple of months in the summer when I had a power boat. I always used the heads on board and the very large holding tank and took showers aboard. A member of staff came to check up on me to make sure I was not discharging into the sea... the fob you have will tell them if you use it for the shower and toilet block. So my advise would be to use your fob - but not go in - and use a bucket or be creative. I actually did my Comp Crew and Day Skipper with Lagoon. Did you know Mike Stevens?

The facilities on East side were improved a couple of years ago, they're really pretty good now it's the dirty feckers who behave like farm animals and have no respect for others. Recently a notice has been placed on the doors to the effect that the facilities are for humans only, turns out somebody was attempting to run a dog grooming business from them. I kid you not, you couldn't make it up.

They have recently started to weed out some of the "less desirable" residents following a spate of thefts amongst other things and believe me I am very far from being some snobby twat with an axe to grind against anyone who buys a cheap boat and lives on it because it happens to be an option in this (very expensive) city and they really don't have much choice. So much so that a few unscrupulous individuals have bought several cheap small boats and are renting them out to anyone desparate enough to give them money. How the hell are you going to make any real money from doing that and what if someone drowned in a dodgy boat they were renting to live on?

We longer term residents who do care about where we live and respect each other can only complain and hope that things start to improve or we'll start to drift away & where would that leave the marina? I do know of Mike yes but never met him, I think he might still be around...

ryanroberts

Visit site
So much so that a few unscrupulous individuals have bought several cheap small boats and are renting them out to anyone desparate enough to give them money. How the hell are you going to make any real money from doing that and what if someone drowned in a dodgy boat they were renting to live on?

We longer term residents who do care about where we live and respect each other can only complain and hope that things start to improve or we'll start to drift away & where would that leave the marina?

This sort of thing has made a mess out of inland boating in a few cities - dodgy landlords renting wrecks to the desperate and those with no real desire to be on a boat in the first place. Some of those are thieving junkie b*stards with no respect for limited shared facilities or their neighbours and that starts affecting the community in general. This has to be a particularly crappy situation when nobody is officially meant to be living there in the first place, big potential for an over correction if the council lean on the marina.

Star-Lord

Visit site
V1701 I believe I have seen a very sweet Bowman 26 on YouTube sailing out of Brighton! You must be the proud owner of the Colvic Watson! I have seen your videos..very informative.

I am certain Portugal will be open in the summer. I did Falmouth to Baiona (had the cruising chute up for four days) but could easily have kept going. I think I suggested a Northern Portugal marina that may suit you and would be nicer than any in Porto?

Grooming dogs in the bogs LOL And renting leaking boats sound like ducking and diving to me! Brighton Marina is bit of a classic... one of the 'Managers' was helping me tie up a visiting yacht and he started complaining about the rough lines... he looked at me and said that he liked mine because they were smooth! I thought to myself he should stay in the office!

I see there are some nice modern houseboats for sale... seems more affordable than a flat.

Mike was the local rigger and sadly passed away. He was well known for having a terrible memory. He was a legend.

Star-Lord

Visit site
Well there may be some nice anchorages in the west country? There are a few amazing spots to live on a mooring. The secret is to find one with a nice dinghy ride to the laundry imo.

ryanroberts

Visit site
Well there may be some nice anchorages in the west country? There are a few amazing spots to live on a mooring. The secret is to find one with a nice dinghy ride to the laundry imo.

Had sketched in delivery to Poole then mooching up west on weekends / hols looking for goldilocks locations before finding a pontoon deal for winter somewhere. The laundrette / bin / beer shop optimisation does seem sensible assuming they are actually open.

Star-Lord

Visit site
Depending on your draught you can anchor in Pool harbour, I think. And then there is Studland bay. West of Poole is called the Jurassic Coast and it is probably one of my favourite sails between Portland and Cowes.

nortada

Visit site
I am certain Portugal will be open in the summer. I did Falmouth to Baiona (had the cruising chute up for four days) but could easily have kept going. I think I suggested a Northern Portugal marina that may suit you and would be nicer than any in Porto?

Why do you think Portugal ‘Will be open in the summer’?

GHA

Visit site
Why do you think it will be closed?
No one knows what's going to happen, though with most of Europe's infected cases doubling between 2 and 3 days we really haven't seen anything much yet. It hasn't started yet.
No one knows.
X4IE8js.png

nortada

Visit site
Why do you think it will be closed?

I don’t think Portugal will be closed but that is not the same as sailing in this direction on the off chance it will be open to traffic from other countries.

As all boarders between Spain and Portugal are closed, Unless you plan a very long sail, Portugal is effectively already cut off from all other countries (UK & France).

I anticipate foreign flagged vessels, already resident in Portugal, will be permitted to remain; especially if the skipper/crew holds Portuguese residency.

If not, I am committed to hauling or a very long sea leg direct Portugal to UK☹️ Done it once but don’t want to do it again.

Last edited:

Star-Lord

Visit site
This thread is about mental health in testing times. I have not been disappointed with the response.

Last edited: