EEEEE-POXY - not the type caught in upstairs rooms of dodgy harbour pubs

TEFLON

Visit site
What's the best marine epoxy resin?
The market is awash with a vast number of options but, as individuals, we can't test 'em all.

CRITERIA
Suitability for application in UK temperature & humidity conditions;
Working application time;
Fine finish/gap filling;
NOT polyester;
De-waxing or Non-waxing;
Low toxicity/fumes;
Curing time;
Price.

penfold

Visit site
The market is awash with a vast number of options but, as individuals, we can't test 'em all.

CRITERIA
Suitability for application in UK temperature & humidity conditions;
Fine finish/gap filling;
NOT polyester;
De-waxing or Non-waxing;
Low toxicity/fumes;
Curing time;
Price.
Epoxy is not polyester? All epoxy is toxic, most have little or no odour but can still provoke an allergic reaction in those who have acquired sensitivity, fineness and gap-filling is down to the adulterant; glass microspheres, wood flour, milled glass fibre, etc.

TEFLON

Visit site
You are correct Penfold. I was a bit careless with my choice of words so here it is with the vocabulary jazzed up a bit.
Epoxy resin is not a polyester resin...that being entirely different chemistry.

I'd welcome your recommendations of the best marine epoxy resin(s).

CRITERIA
Don't include polyester resins;
Suitability for application in the UK's wide range of temperatures & humidity conditions;
Fine finish/self-levelling in the un-thickened form;
De-waxing or Non-waxing;
Low toxicity/fumes/dermatological properties;
Curing time;
Price.

srm

Visit site
I used West epoxy and associated fillers etc in Orkney during july and august quite a lot of years ago. I just checked that daytime temps were going to stay above 10 C. though I later learnt that it would be advisable to check humidity for the day as well. West provides a lot of technical advice for the use of its products.

Unlike polyester, adding more hardener in low temperatures will not work with epoxy - stick to the mixing ratio and within the materials working temperature range. They have different hardeners for various temperature ranges.

Boo2

Visit site
I used West epoxy and associated fillers etc in Orkney during july and august quite a lot of years ago. I just checked that daytime temps were going to stay above 10 C. though I later learnt that it would be advisable to check humidity for the day as well. West provides a lot of technical advice for the use of its products.

Unlike polyester, adding more hardener in low temperatures will not work with epoxy - stick to the mixing ratio and within the materials working temperature range. They have different hardeners for various temperature ranges.
+1 to all the above. AIUI West epoxy contains wax though and this may require to be removed between alminations in some circumstances. For that reaso I have avoided it though it does have a loyal following. I was going to use EL2 from Easy Composites for my next project although there are a variety available from East Coast Fibreglass Supplies too.

Hth,

Boo2

DownWest

Visit site
On toxisity: I have used Resoltech Re 1010 as a primer and overall coat. It is water based and not toxic. Their other resins are more or less as nasty as the rest on the market.
Otherwise, used West, SP and now a french one. Very similar apart from curing times depending on choice of hardener. Over on the Wooden Boat Forum, they mention makes with low tem setting , down to 3 or 4 °C.
I find at the current single figures or low teens it just takes longer to go off.
Smell: The hardener I am using honks of mice pee, the resin not much of an odour
Humidity: If damp I run the heat gun over the bits before application, that also helps the resin to penetrate the grain of the wood.
My local Resoltech agent sells additives in bulk. Just picked up 5 lts collodal silica for €15. microballoons similar.
Current project is a 17ft Cat Yawl in ply.