Edinburgh Marina

cpedw

Visit site
No, I think it's just Edinburgh that does it so poorly. It ignores the fact that it is beside the sea. You ask anyone who hasn't been whether they think Edinburgh is a seaside city and they will all say no. Probably from David Hume's days (though I don't think you are supposed to talk about him now).
No no no. Edinburgh is NOT by the sea. That's Leith. Well it was until about 1920.

awol

Visit site
As a temporary resident of Edinburgh (51 years and counting) I am one of those who kept a boat at Port Edgar and then moved it west, only for the summers initially and then permanently. Racing on the Forth was good and, unlike the west, kept going up till Xmas but day sailing and cruising was boring. Very few stopping places and even fewer with pubs, ones you would want to go into anyway. So the boat is back in my childhood sailing waters of the Clyde where the problem is too much choice; with the west coast a day sail away; but the racing for an old slow cruising boat is not great and stops in September.
I reckon one year of exploring the Forth will be enough and you will move the boat west. If nothing else, the opportunity to run contraband across the North Channel may prove irresistable.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
As a temporary resident of Edinburgh (51 years and counting) I am one of those who kept a boat at Port Edgar and then moved it west, only for the summers initially and then permanently. Racing on the Forth was good and, unlike the west, kept going up till Xmas but day sailing and cruising was boring. Very few stopping places and even fewer with pubs, ones you would want to go into anyway. So the boat is back in my childhood sailing waters of the Clyde where the problem is too much choice; with the west coast a day sail away; but the racing for an old slow cruising boat is not great and stops in September.
I reckon one year of exploring the Forth will be enough and you will move the boat west. If nothing else, the opportunity to run contraband across the North Channel may prove irresistable.
We sailed in the Forth for many years but hols. were to West coast via either canal or over to Holland, Belgium, Germany etc. It was really only feasible with a small bilge keel boat for weekends initially and then a Southerly for many years. I wouldn't say "many of the harbours dry", more like "almost all of the harbours dry". :D

I still remember advice for a race to Newcastle. If the weather becomes poor with onshore wind and you are more than 1/2 way, then keep going, otherwise, turn back.
There aren't many good options either South or North of the Forth.:D

We also moved over to the West coast and accepted a longer drive for better sailing.

I still remember all the hype about the West harbour in Granton with new luxury housing and adjacent berths. It was mainly designed to bump up the house prices. I don't know what it is like now but remember there was a very poor uptake. I seem to remember that the final blow was when the council started using many of the empty units to house troublesome tenants. That might have been an urban myth.

It doesn't really look as if any work has begun and you'd need to shift a lot of mud. The mud will probably return slowly unless there regular dredging.

dgadee

Visit site

The advantage of keeping it over east is that it's not just a boat but a shed, too. Downsizing is most likely to a flat with no workshop. so I need somewhere to potter over the winter. That would be hard if it was on the west coast. I was lucky after becoming a widower to find someone who took to sailing, but she doesn't think marching flute bands are her idea of culture. I know that's sad, but there you go. So, Belfast (a town) is giving way to Edinburgh (a city).

I think contraband plans will already be well under development by various parties on both sides of the north channel. I would be wary of stepping on their toes.

D

Deleted member 36384

I think sailing on the east coat, out of Edinburgh could be fine if your boat can take the water. Quite a few pretty harbours and if one has no commitments, waiting for the tide can be a very pleasant experience at these locations.

The actual harbour at Leith, would make a fantastic marina further into the docks up at the Water of Leith. All it would take is a small boat lock to be constructed at the main exit. The whole area around the Water of Leith and the docks adjacent to it would be a wonderful development if done properly, maybe even get the old swing bridge working and gets some boats right into the The Water of Leith.

Silly Boy Edit: taking the ground would make it even better!

Last edited by a moderator:

penfold

Visit site
No no no. Edinburgh is NOT by the sea. That's Leith. Well it was until about 1920.
The burghers of Portobello will be disappointed to learn this.
The advantage of keeping it over east is that it's not just a boat but a shed, too. Downsizing is most likely to a flat with no workshop. so I need somewhere to potter over the winter. That would be hard if it was on the west coast. I was lucky after becoming a widower to find someone who took to sailing, but she doesn't think marching flute bands are her idea of culture. I know that's sad, but there you go. So, Belfast (a town) is giving way to Edinburgh (a city).

I think contraband plans will already be well under development by various parties on both sides of the north channel. I would be wary of stepping on their toes.
There's plenty of room in Leith for a marina but presumably Forth Ports don't see any money in it, building a separate small craft lock would be pricey(some creative bulls**ting might garner some of the City Deal money for tourist stuff like this) and the big lock would be a bit silly unless there's two dozen boats in it.

D

Deleted member 36384

Just had a scan around Google Earth, satellite view, of the forth harbours. Many of the older docks, that are not commercial, actually have a lot of small boats berthed in them, they look like leisure boats, perhaps older motorboats, ex work boats in some cases.

dgadee

Visit site

That view may have gone on well beyond 1920. Edwin Muir in his 'Scottish Journey' talks about the difference between Leith Walk and Princes Street. For example about there being an invisible barrier between the two causing each class in their home ground to feel inhibited about crossing that barrier, "[t]he prostitutes are the sole class who rise superior to this inhibition." That was in the 1930s. Drunkeness was similar - Princes Street had better whisky, though - but the better class were hustled out of public view whilst the Leith Walk drunks lay about the pavement.

Edit: 1930s not 1950s! Typo!

Last edited:

dgadee

Visit site
In clearing the ground they dumped spoil into the harbour. We may not see a marina in my lifetime.

dunedin

Visit site
Is this the end of the plans for Edinburgh Marina and the western harbour? The surrounding properties, including the middle boat yard, have been put up for sale by Edinburgh Marina Ltd., through CBRE.

Edinburgh Marina - back on the market
Oh dear, it is claimed to be an “oven ready” development scheme - that won’t end well then !

wallacebob

Visit site
It’s great to hear “Edinburgh Marina “ is in reality just a housing development, and all the puff that involves. As if we didn’t know. Shame for the Royal Forth YC, and even more the Corinthians. Surrounded by poorly built flats, with great views. Was never going to succeed as a marina. “Marina” is a great marketing word. Winchburgh Marina anyone? Has anyone been to Fleetwood Marina recently?
Hold on, maybe Charlestown Fife Marina is next! Or maybe not, due to pollution?

Zing

Visit site
Port Edgar was on the market a few years ago as a commercial and residential development opportunity. Surely that is the prime opportunity in the area, I don’t know why nothing seems to have happened.

penfold

Visit site
Probably the same reason the western arm of Leith Docks has been half-finished since the GFC; there's not enough market for yuppy flats overlooking harbours at the moment.

crewman

Visit site
. “Marina” is a great marketing word. Winchburgh Marina anyone?
Winchburgh marina is part built. It is on the Union canal and is for canal boats. Current plans are to open this year, once the pontoons have been installed. Some of the nearby housing has been built, but there is still a lot of housing development ongoing. Last I heard is that Scottish Canals were balking at paying for the pontoons.
[/QUOTE]

chrisclin

Visit site
Port Edgar has been tarted up a lot over recent years since it came out of council hands and I'm sure there were plans to develop housing there. Some of the old MoD buildings have been upgraded and there is now rather a nice eatery there.
However, my understanding is that the cost of development is prohibitive because of its history - a naval dockyard and a hospital. No-one knows where the waste (both medical and old ammunition etc) was buried!
It would also be a noisy place to live - Although the new Forth Crossing is quieter than the old Road Bridge, the latter is still used by buses and the thump-thump of vehicles crossing the expansion joints is not conducive to a good night's sleep.