Edgecumbe Arms, across from Plymouth.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
On our epic summer cruise, sat at anchor in Barnpool, probably less than 2 miles from our home berth, we ventured ashore and re-discovered the Edgecumbe Arms, a great waterside pub looking back across the Tamar toward Mayflower marina and the dock yards. Decent beer and excellent food, I had a huge piece of fish, perfectly cooked, and my other half had a great burger. Best of all are the young staff, very friendly, efficient service. Well worth a visit, either catch the Cremyll ferry from Plymouth, or tender across from Mayflower or Royal William Yard, or anchor up in Barnpool.
To work up an appetite, you can walk to Kingsands/cawsands and back, the Mount Edgecumbe Country park is free to enter, and stretches for miles along the coast with some spectacular views of Plymouth Sound.

stranded

Visit site
On our epic summer cruise, sat at anchor in Barnpool, probably less than 2 miles from our home berth, we ventured ashore and re-discovered the Edgecumbe Arms, a great waterside pub looking back across the Tamar toward Mayflower marina and the dock yards. Decent beer and excellent food, I had a huge piece of fish, perfectly cooked, and my other half had a great burger. Best of all are the young staff, very friendly, efficient service. Well worth a visit, either catch the Cremyll ferry from Plymouth, or tender across from Mayflower or Royal William Yard, or anchor up in Barnpool.
To work up an appetite, you can walk to Kingsands/cawsands and back, the Mount Edgecumbe Country park is free to enter, and stretches for miles along the coast with some spectacular views of Plymouth Sound.
Have to give it another go - last visit, about three years ago, was a never again experience when the very grumpy middle aged woman who was tending the bar was “too busy” to serve us drinks - in an empty pub. Left dry after about 10 minutes.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Have to give it another go - last visit, about three years ago, was a never again experience when the very grumpy middle aged woman who was tending the bar was “too busy” to serve us drinks - in an empty pub. Left dry after about 10 minutes.
I don’t think you’ll be disappointed, definitely a new team running it.
You do wonder how some people come to be running hospitality venues when they have no interest in serving customers. Running a pub is not rocket science.

stranded

Visit site
It isn’t rocket science, but it’s bloody hard work. I suspect many are attracted by their positive experiences on the other side of the bar in a welcoming pub, without realising they don’t have the personality to foster that kind of atmosphere, and often end up resenting the customers. Much prefer places with teams of enthusiastic youngsters these days, even if their skills sometimes need a bit of polishing.

zoidberg

Visit site
Please be wary of anchoring in the 'wrong' part of Barnpool.....as indicated on the charts.
There are lots of anchors down there, entangled in lots of ex-Admiralty ironware.