East or West-South?

Whitelighter

Visit site
I warn you, I have gone well East so the its almost certainly the other way.

Saying that, a big chunk of the fleet that went due south (some even a bit west) seem to be trying to get across the light airs to the east again

sarabande

Visit site
only two BBQ sessions so far, so that is an improvement for me :).

I'm heading Eastish too: staying near the rhumb line on a short leg seems to make sense, and that steady wind at 20 - 30 hours ahead looks tempting.

Heads, I lose
Tails, you win.

Martin_J

Visit site
Had a great weekend sailing... in real life.. Looks like my DCs missed the beaches (great) but took me rather wide round the first big corner (not so great)..

It looks like there is still lots of interesting wind holes ahead.. and rather a lot of 'on watch' work to do around Singapore and beyond.. ybw_mjm

Martin_J

Visit site
I guess my rather wide turn (about 2 hours late) around the first corner on thie leg was not too bad after all..

In case you're wondering why I took the early tack north before the Pulau We mark, it was because it was the only time I could see in the forseeable future that the wind arrows were horizontal (i.e an Easterly wind).. Every forecast after that seemed to show the wind with some northerly component in it.. i.e. from the NE... Tacking north then would have set me back further.. The tack was purely timed for when the wind had the least northerly component in it..

As to which side of these Straits to keep to.. I was trying to see the average wind through the Strait right from the day we started the leg (whenever that was!)..
Rgds ybw_mjm

Dipper

Visit site
In case anyone is wondering why I went aground, I forgot to brief the crew before I turned in for the night.

The keel's making a banging noise. Should I be worried?

Alistairr

Visit site
I guess my rather wide turn (about 2 hours late) around the first corner on thie leg was not too bad after all..

In case you're wondering why I took the early tack north before the Pulau We mark, it was because it was the only time I could see in the forseeable future that the wind arrows were horizontal (i.e an Easterly wind).. Every forecast after that seemed to show the wind with some northerly component in it.. i.e. from the NE... Tacking north then would have set me back further.. The tack was purely timed for when the wind had the least northerly component in it..

As to which side of these Straits to keep to.. I was trying to see the average wind through the Strait right from the day we started the leg (whenever that was!)..
Rgds ybw_mjm

That early tack worked out very well for you, you're now over 6hrs in front of me.

The first five had been so close for a while, but you have now left us all standing. Catch up game now.

Well done.

Cheers
Al.

Martin_J

Visit site
and now it looks like I'm following 76T... but when I tacked north back at Pulau We, 76T didn't he was hours ahead of me at that time... This morning I had to straight line it purely because the wind was flukey and I was in four hours of meetings.. . Back on the helm again now and possibly will tack before 76T does...

trevorr

Visit site
and now it looks like I'm following 76T... but when I tacked north back at Pulau We, 76T didn't he was hours ahead of me at that time... This morning I had to straight line it purely because the wind was flukey and I was in four hours of meetings.. . Back on the helm again now and possibly will tack before 76T does...

I'm Fishing. Not caught anything yet.

Alistairr

Visit site

I've not long tacked, well before anyone else.
I only look in every so often, can't be in SOL all day long as work interferes.

Cheers
Al.

Last edited:

Martin_J

Visit site
I wanted to get half the easterly tack in before the weather update and half afterwards... then whether the update was good for me or not... I'd have been okay either way... It was looking like tacking half an hour later would have been slightly better but just did not want to risk it...
mjm

Martin_J

Visit site
and I just woke up to find me on TWA instead of Compass Course.. another hour lost.. but looks like we all still have quite a race on our hands...