East Coast to Holland trip

Pallemans

Visit site
Hi sail enthusiasts!

I don't know if I'm on the right forum to ask this, but me and my girlfriend are looking for an opportunity to join a sailboat to cross anywhere on the English East Coast to anywhere in Holland for my girlfriend to see what it's like to sail a boat from one place to another and the boating lifestyle. Myself, I did the crossing the other way around from Den Helder to Lowestoft on the Dutch Naval sailboat the Urania couple years back in my days in the Royal dutch navy.
I'm Dutch and my girlfriend is British and is a rescue diver. We both work in aviation as a pilot and purser. We hope to find a sailboat who's willing to accommodate us to give us a ride and perhaps we can help out on the boat, hoist sails, clean the boat, kitchen duties or guard duties. I would like her to witness the adventure for perhaps in the future I would like to own my own boat one day.
We are happy to pay a small fee if necessary as well.

Hope to meet up soon!
Or if anyone has any other ways how to get in contact with a boat owner or skipper to try this crossing, please advice.
Thank you very much, and hope to hear from you.

Cheers.
P and C.

Old Harry

Visit site
Hi
the chances of any British skipper travelling to The Netherlands at the moment, will virtually nil, especially with an unknown crew, picked up "off the beach"

Pallemans

Visit site
Thanks Old Skip, you are right. If that's the hospitality and welcoming with open arms approach of the British sailing members for just a day's crossing trip I should post the same message on a Dutch forum board. ?

sarabande

Visit site
Pallemans, please consider the risks for any boat owner helping you out with a trip like the one you request. Harry is prudent, in difficult times

The skipper of a boat is responsible for the lives of the people on board. Taking on an unknown crew (albeit with a good solid technical background) is a big unknown for a trip that might last a day,or even a week if something goes wrong. Offering a fee for a private voyage is generous, but does have implications for insurance.

I can see what you are both trying to do but perhaps chartering a sailing boat for a couple of days through an agency is an alternative. If you do it properly, you can hire a competent qualified skipper as well.

If I were in your position, I'd take my GF on a week's charter to somewhere sunny and warm. It is a good way of making a first impression for life on a sailing boat. Any trip across to the Netherlands at the moment is going to be 'busy' and with Covid lockdown and quarantine possibilities, it is not going to be an attractive trip.

Perhaps you could also ask in the East Coast Forum, if any E Coast club would accept you joining as a crew in a local race or cruise ?

best of luck

Pallemans

Visit site
Thanks sarabande, most helpfull tips here! ?
I don't understand you two going on about "at the moment is going to be 'busy' and with Covid lockdown and quarantine possibilities, it is not going to be an attractive trip."
What do you mean, busy?
And as far as COVID. As an airline pilot myself I'm well aware of countries regulations and current rules. Holland has never even been in a lockdown and probably never will be, as their common sense is great enough to realise how this virus works and maybe local restrictions might happen in the future where spikes rise. England however in my opinion has not acted well in challenging this virus. I actually live in Italy and even tho they underestimated the crisis at first I feel much safer there than in England right now. If you implement face masks only now instead of 3 months ago, I'm sorry but you have been 3 months too late. It does work no matter what experts say.
My point on this is, we should all relax a bit about this covid situation and not make it stop us from travel and explore the world. Just be a bit more vigilant by wearing a mask and touch things less and keep your distances as much as possible from others. Not travelling for being scared of lockdowns and outbreaks is exactly what is killing our business in aviation aswell. Don't let it kill the sailing business aswell.
Anyway, this forum is not about talking politics, business or epidemics.
Thanks for your tip about chartering. Any actual tips on that? Charter companies etc?
?