East coast stops close to the Thames

Fjord John

Visit site
How long off have you got and what time of the year?

As you on are in power (10kts), weather (wind) should not be such a constraint and you should be able better progress than most sailboats.

Have you thought of extending your experience with a bit of night travel?

During June/July the hours of darkness are short and if possible, a good moon can make it almost like day. If you go for a night passage, I would aim to arrive just after dawn. Night departures are easy but arrivals during the hours of darkness can be very stressful.

Looking at possible passages, I would coast hop to Harwich Bay (The Walton Backwaters, Stour, Orwell and Deben) but then aim to make a faster return passage home. Because of weather etc. my philosophy has always been slow out/fast back but leave enough time for the return so that it doesn’t become a race against the clock. Bad forecasts - turn back early. If caught out, another option is to leave the boat in a safe haven, return home (work) and then recover the boat when possible. In the past we have holed up in Woodbridge and Brightlingsea and gone back for the boat the next weekend.

As opposed to marinas, how do you feel about anchoring?

There are a number of good safe anchorages between the Thames and Woodbridge; plus an number of locations with free buoyage, which can significantly reduce the cost of your trip.
Hi Nortada, it will be 2 weeks max, probably June. Open to trying anchoring for the first time but would rather sleep tied to a pontoon, as new to sea work. not ready for night passages yet, just want to build some experience first. I do appreciate your tips and advice though. J

Fjord John

Visit site
If a trip from the Thames to Burnham at 10 knots was nerve-wracking, there seems to have been something wrong. Barring emergencies, such as an engine failure or crew illness, no passage should be anything other than enjoyable, or at least tolerable. It sounds as if you need to build up your skills and confidence in familiar waters for a year or two before challenging yourself, and maybe the family.
Lol, yes, that does make it sound like a bad experience which it wasn’t. there were some moments of nerves but mostly it was an amazing experience which is why I want to do it again and build my experience by doing a similar route to last time. J

johnalison

Visit site
Lol, yes, that does make it sound like a bad experience which it wasn’t. there were some moments of nerves but mostly it was an amazing experience which is why I want to do it again and build my experience by doing a similar route to last time. J
I am pleased that you enjoyed it. I was concerned because the shores of this land are littered with frustrated sailors whose wives have told them that they are never going out again after that last passage. A skipper needs to show confidence at all times, using bluffology if necessary, otherwise his or her anxiety will be picked up by the crew, especially children. This is not to condone over-confidence, which of course leads to danger, or the need to consult with others when doubt arises and a decision needs to be made.

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Many thanks John

ps i use a motor boat with a cruise speed of 10 knots and a 3 foot draft

Ahoy there FJ I am following your thread but I am puzzled about certain comments , might you please clarify my queries , PL

What hull desing is your Boat ; caus with stated 3ft draught she sounds like a Displacement Craft design ; but with the stated 10 knots cruising speed she sounds like a Semi or Planning hull design.

She might be an Out Drive configuration so needs the draught refered to

Might mention that the main paremeters controllong safety in certain Sea conditions are Hull design /shape along with engine type ;

Fjord John

Visit site
Ahoy there FJ I am following your thread but I am puzzled about certain comments , might you please clarify my queries , PL

What hull desing is your Boat ; caus with stated 3ft draught she sounds like a Displacement Craft design ; but with the stated 10 knots cruising speed she sounds like a Semi or Planning hull design.

She might be an Out Drive configuration so needs the draught refered to

Might mention that the main paremeters controllong safety in certain Sea conditions are Hull design /shape along with engine type ;
Hi CP, yes she is semi displacement. Twin shafts with centre keel. So to be sure I don’t bend a prop coming into Bradwell marina I guess it will need to be a bit after low tide. any other advice re conditions I will always appreciate. I know an easterly would not be ideal, as displacements roll more. FJ

MoodySabre

Visit site
Hi CP, yes she is semi displacement. Twin shafts with centre keel. So to be sure I don’t bend a prop coming into Bradwell marina I guess it will need to be a bit after low tide. any other advice re conditions I will always appreciate. I know an easterly would not be ideal, as displacements roll more. FJ
Bradwell Is best at two hours after LW, particularly at springs. Look at Crossing the Thames Estuary website downloads for a survey of Bradwell creek and many other locations.

Concerto

Visit site
Fyord John, if you considered entering the Medway to go to Queenborough, then you could also proceed up the Medway. You could stop at Gillingham Marina or Chatham Marina, but you could also pass under Rochester Bridge and stop at Rochester Cruising Club or continue up to Aylesford depending on your air height. If you clear the Aylesford bridge then you can enter the non tidal part of the Medway and proceed to Maidstone and possibly up to Tonbridge. This might be of interest if strong winds are forecast.

Tomahawk

Visit site
Alternatively..
Queenborough overight then out to the wilds of the North Kent coast to Ramsgate. Nearly an international voyage. They don't quite have six fingers in Thanet. But actually quite easy in a motorboat. You pass the place where the first bouncing bombs were tested at Reculver and you will not believe the harbour at Ramsgate when you enter. It really is unique and very beautiful. The harbour staff are a different matter.

nortada

Visit site
Alternatively..
Queenborough overight then out to the wilds of the North Kent coast to Ramsgate. Nearly an international voyage. They don't quite have six fingers in Thanet. But actually quite easy in a motorboat. You pass the place where the first bouncing bombs were tested at Reculver and you will not believe the harbour at Ramsgate when you enter. It really is unique and very beautiful. The harbour staff are a different matter.
Queenborough to Ramsgate about 40nm?

Wouldn’t want to be off North Foreland with an real sea running. Confronted with worsening weather, how well placed are you for safe havens along the Kentish Flats?

nortada

Visit site
Come on old chap .. we all have weather forecasts these days. And besides, it is normally SW.
Forecasts are regularly incorrect, especially when it comes to wind speed and I have had a number of less than pleasant experiences off North Foreland and they were in sail boats rather than power cruisers.

Tomahawk

Visit site
These days.... not so.
Forecasts are regularly incorrect, especially when it comes to wind speed and I have had a number of less than pleasant experiences off North Foreland and they were in sail boats rather than power cruisers.

The GFS goes forward 16 days. OK at that time out, it is a fairy tale but if you watch the forecast every day as your anticipated trip gets closer, you can see if the forecast is changing day by day or remaining steady. If it is steady after a week it will generally remain steady for the second week and be pretty much spot on come the actual day. If OTOH, the forecast changed day by day as you approach the chosen date, it means the weather systems are too unstable to call and itcan be anyones guess.

Last edited:

Other threads that may be of interest