East Coast Harbours?

G

Planning a passage from Dover Straits to Moray Firth. Could use some tips on interesting ports on the way. We did the same trip in a hurry last year so missed out on the tourist bit. We called at Ramsgate, Grimsby, Bridlington and Peterhead last time.

On le list so far are Whitby and Lindisfarne.

We only draw 3 ft but with 23 ft beam we have some locks and marinas!

G

Very little is published about the East Coast above the Ore and Ald. South of that the pilot book East Coast Rivers is comprehensive and up to date. It is a Yachting Monthly book and details on ordering are available from the Editorial office (tel: 0207 261 6040). North of this point pilot books include Brian Nevin's North Sea Pilot (Imray), a very good Royal Northumberland YC pilot covering the coast from the Humber to Rattray Head, Tidal Harbours of The Wash and Humber, (Adlard Coles)and A Yachtsman's Pilot to North and EAst Scotland by MArtin Lawrence (Imray). All are available from Kelvin Hughes (Tel: 02380 6349110 or order on www.bookharbour.com).

G

Call in at Lowestoft.

We have the Royal Norfolk & Suffolk Yacht club, very hospitable bunch, and the Lowestoft Cruising club also friendly. Both can help with overnite moorings. Friendly helpful harbour masters.

Moorings also available at Lowestoft Yacht Services and if you get stuck, I can probably sort a temporary mooring close to our new offices at the former Brooke Marine ship yard. (yes, we do have a kettle!)

Plenty of good reasons for a visit to Lowestoft.

kev
www.yachtbits.co.uk

Bergman

Visit site
I think James' advice about pilot books is spot on. I would be careful of the Wash and Humber one though. Some of the Humber "havens" are not nice.

As to the rest:-

Hartlepool, Sunderland, Tynemouth, Blyth, and Amble all have marinas Hartlepool and Royal Quays (Tynemouth) have locks but 23 ft is not a problem. Hartlepool is probably the best.

Whitby gets very crowded, you normally raft up 4 abreast so your beam could be fun. You may try asking the harbour master for an alternative mooring - good luck on that

Scarboro is nice now they have pontoons in the harbour. Entrance is narrow but you should fit.

Lindisfarne is great - my favourite - I always anchor off the beacon on the cliff top. Make sure you use a tripping line. If you find a 25lb Danforth there its mine! The entrance is not as tricky as it looks.

I like Eyemouth too a small fishing type harbour but nice.

I would think twice about Berwick. The entry is tricky There are some new buoys since I last went aground there but it may be worth a call to the harbour master for advice first. Hes not there on a Sunday-which is why I went aground.

Hope this helps

Derek

Visit site
Tayport Harbour on the Tay estuary has around 80 pontoon berths. with one or two usually available for visitors. Tayport is a small place itself but is a 10 minute bus ride from Dundee which has lots to do. There is an excellent pilot produced by Forth Yacht Clubs Association I think, which covers from around Dunbar to Peterhead. Well worth acquiring if cruising in that area.

G

Funnily enough I am planning a trip the other way - Moray Firth (Whitehills) to Dover Strait (Calais) starting Friday 13th July.

I don't envy you trying to slot a 23 feet beam into some of the smaller places but:

1. Pennan bay (just East of Whitehills) is worth an anchor & a visit by tender to the pub.

2. I think you should be able to get into Whitehills Harbour afterwards. Check with David Findlay the Harbourmaster on enquiries@whitehillsharbour.co.uk.

Best regards :eek:)

Ian D

Bergman

Visit site
Take your point about Blythe

Its much better now with the pontoons in the harbour, and the RNYC is a nice club to visit.

I don't think it would be high on my list of places for a long holiday though.

Gavin

Visit site
Great fish & chips at Anstruther plus outer harbour for fin keelers and inner harbour with pontoons (dries out). Idilic setting with good pubs and excellent restaurants and generally pretty quiet (recommend visit to fisheries museum). Dunbar also good but noise from seagulls very bad at entrance to harbour (24hrs).
New pilot book published earlier this year covering high proportion of north east coast - includes usual diagrams plus lots of arial photos of harbours etc. (can send details if required).

Enjoy.

Gavin