East Coast Family Sailing

CPD

Visit site
Soon to be based in Bradwell, and trying to get my 8 and 10 year old boys interested in sailing. What would be really good is if there were other families faced with the same situation who would like to maybe go on some short flotilla cruises, letting the children get to know each other and making it perhaps more fun for them. Any thoughts ??

FullCircle

Visit site
A,
we have had lots of meetings now with families for weekends. The latest one in April is also family friendly, see Lat/Long post.
We dont have to bring kids with us (ours are grown up) to enjoy the whole thing. If you have a suggestion, then just post a date/time/venue and see who turns up. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
PS we had a BBQ at Bradwell last year on the lawn and had a great time. We also had a weekend in Mersea, 3 days in Oostende, Family racing in Burnham Week Class 6, 2 nights in River Roach. Well, you get the picture.
People come and go from all over the East Coast.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
Fiends may be too strong a term - let's stick to 'partners in crime' /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OTOH, it may just have been a typo /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
Like FC said... lots going on already, and you'd be welcomed with open arms to join in....

Mine are 8 (boy) and 11(girl), and like Guapa's, are always keen to meet up with other trainee pirates!

Particular favourite of our kids is stone point in the Walton Backwaters, which is but a short sail from Bradwell, and then they run riot (in a controlled sort of way, i'll hasten to add!) on the beach, and generally have a darned good time....

Plans this year for pirate raids ashore (inc full fancy dress compulsory) and sandcastle building competitions, while the adults enjoy a BBQ and perhaps a cold beer or two!, along with a swallows and amazons style trip round the island in the tenders.... after essential reading 'Secret Water' by Arthur Ransome....

The more the merrier.... plans will be announced in advance on this very forum!

ianc1200

Visit site
The main reason that I'm no longer going to have my cruiser at Bradwell, (but a small sailing boat instead) was that my son (then aged 11) and daughter (14) got really bored. We enrolled them on a two day course at the Bradwell Outdoors Centre last Whitsun, but my daughter "injured herself" and then wouldn't go, and got even more bored. Whereas my wife and I loved the area, the walks, & particularly The Green Man, the area didn't offer much for the kids. I got a mirror type dinghy and put it in the dinghy park next to the BQ Yacht Club building, but could only get my son out in it once.

They really liked Tollesbury with the tennis courts and swimming pool, but we only got there once last year.

Hope your younger sons will find something of interest, and best of all some friends to play with at Bradwell, hopefully because they are younger they will enjoy the company of their parents more than my two!

regards

IanC