East coast Bawley replica?

copperatsea

Visit site
Does any one here have any information on east coast bawley replica's that were built in the early eighties in ferro cement?
They were 36ft LWL and i think only single numbers were built.

There is a black painted one moored on the river near me (Falmouth, Cornwall). She has clearly been ashore in the past and sustained damage to her bilge on both sides which has been repaired although you can see the reinforced areas on the inside. She has no name on her and no owner can at the time be traced. She has been moored on a beach here for at least 12 years and the previous owner sold her around 4 years ago to a man from Poole, Dorset when he moved to spain. He does not remember a name though.

DanTribe

Visit site
I can remember one called Blackbird being built at North Fambridge. At first glance she was almost indistinguishable from the genuine article.
I believe she was designed by Alan Hill in Burnham.
Alan is now retired but still active in boaty circles.
Dan

copperatsea

Visit site
ok thanks,
I have also spotted one on Boatshed.com, she is called Prospect and up for sale in Gibraltar although i cannot be sure that she was from the same builder. The advert says she was built for the Goivior Consortium! Does anybody have any idea who or what they were? The standard of hull finish on the black boat is the best i have ever seen from ferro.

Transcur

Visit site
Blackbird is kept at Brightlingsea. Usually moored at the Smack end. Contact the Harbourmasters for contact info. Anna Crane was another one built and kept on the east coast or many years. She changed hands about 3 years ago. Look here for pictures---- http://www.foad.me.uk/sailing/AnnaCraneHolland2005/index.html.

Thre was also a green one, moored very neglected at Harwich about 8 to 10 years ago. Gone now , dont know where.

celandine

Visit site
I think you may be referring to a consortium that built at least 4 Bawley replicas headed by Ray Govier. They were built near Lower Halstow on the River Medway in late 70's/80's
Ray is still about; if you want to get in touch with him best to p.m me.

Mick

stephenm01

Visit site
My father Bill Marshall, with my brothers Peter and David, and myself were in a consortium that built 5 Bawley replicas at Halstow. Other members were Ed and Johnny Loe, a chap whose name was also Terry (I think he worked at an abattoir) can't remember the last name, plus a chap called Ray Govier and a guy called Mick last name gone again.
5 hulls were finished, The Marshalls fitted theirs out and called her Patience, sold in the 80's from Plymouth (Cawsand) to a guy who was going to the canals of Spain.
Mick finished his and named her Fly of Halstow, and then continued to work on finishing Ray's boat, don't know the outcome of that. The Loes finished their boat (name forgotten now) and Terry finished his boat but name forgotten now.
I have more info and some pictures too.

fluffc

Visit site
Bawley Replicas were built by two companies in the lat 70's / early 80's. The Kent company built Fly of Halstow (the green one that was near harwich). Several hulls of this design were made. I believe more are still based in Kent.

The Essex company built the Alan Hill designed ones, No1 - Anna Crane (my boat), No2 - Blackbird (in Brightlingsea), and about 5 others. I see that two of the series are currently up for sale - one in Maldon, and one in Gibralter. You can primarily tell the Alan Hill designs by the coachroof and tabernacle design. They have quite low freeboard. Initially they were Bawley-rigged, but several owners have Smack-rigged them.

The guy 'Mick' who you refer to is I believe Mick Wilkins, also known as 'Mick the Brick'. He currently is based in Tollesbury, living aboard his Ferro boat. He is a living guru on Ferro.

Incidently, my website http://members.aol.com/andychallis has lots of pictures of Anna Crane.

stephenm01

Visit site
Yes I have a few photos of some of the hulls and a couple stepping masts. I made a mistake in adding in "Mick" because in fact it was John Booty who had that boat "Fly". The Mick I was thinking of was Mick Barker who was refitting a Brixham Treawler, the same years we were building the 5 hulls.

Bajansailor

Visit site
A small (about 30' length on deck I think) ferocement bawley arrived here in Barbados in the early 80's. I am sure that she would have been built in Essex. Am racking my brain trying to remember her name.....She went through various owners and gradually deteriorated despite various attempts at re-fitting her.

She had been used as a house boat (sans rig) in the Inner Basin of the Careenage in Bridgetown for a while, and then she disappeared..... I later found her sitting on the bottom in about 8' of water in the adjacent fishing harbour.
A sad end to what should have been a proud Bawley replica.

stephenm01

Visit site
I have scanned a photo from the day we stepped the mast on our boat for the first time. If you are interested I can send you a copy of the picture, and you may be able to say if it was a boat from our consortium in Bermuda.
Also there is a boat from the consortium for sale in Gibraltar at the moment, I think it is either John Booty's or Ray Govier's boat. It can be viewed at:
http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/BS0272

and another for sale through MJLewis:
do a search on keyword bawley or try this link:
http://www.boatshop24.co.uk/boats/search...&goSort.y=0

or this one
http://www.boatshop24.co.uk/boats/popup.asp?btsrefno=1895646&make=Gaff%20Rigged%20Cutter,%20motor%20yacht%20,%20liveab...

Bajansailor

Visit site
The bawley that is / was here looks like she might have been a sister ship, or at least very close - I think she is about 32' on deck.

Her rig rotted away, as did most of the timber cladding (rubbing strakes, rail caps, cockpit etc), but the ferrocement hull seemed to be fairly sound.

fluffc

Visit site
Err... These three links are all of the same boat...

I'm reasonably sure this is one of the Essex-built bawleys, judging from the handrail, coachroof, tabernacle, mast and stem designs. The transom has been extensively modified to take the steering gear.

copperatsea

Visit site
Since i started this i have managed to track down Ray Govier, he did indeed build the boat that i am now trying to buy, tho finding an owner is proving to be hard. Ray's boat was Fly of Halstow and she was Green. Although he does not recal what my one was called. I have removed paint and it appears she was originally grey hulled. Unlike Anna Crane she is built entirely of ferro including deck and coachroof.

stephenm01

Visit site
I can definitely state that those pictures are of one of the Lower Halstow-built boats. In other words Kent.
Fluffc - I can send you a scanned copy of a picture of my Dad's boat if you wish - she was Grey when we first fitted her out.

stephenm01

Visit site
Patience

Hi there, was there any further development(s) of the situation with the boat at Falmouth?
Maybe a current photo of the boat? My idle curiosity has kicked in as I am currently laid up with a broken foot.
regards
Stephen