EA Short Stay Moorings Management

Barge

Visit site
Oh for a quiet spot where you can stay for a few days without someone getting hot under the collar at you being there or wanting to dip into your wallet for doing so...

Getting fewer and fewer.

Bran

Visit site
I see the “where 2 moor website” has been updated with accurate location maps of the moorings! Do we need to bring a crane to moor up? Do we have to park in marked bays as per a car park??

Whitlock

Visit site
I see the “where 2 moor website” has been updated with accurate location maps of the moorings! Do we need to bring a crane to moor up? Do we have to park in marked bays as per a car park??
The locations on the maps are not at all accurate.

Scapegoat

Visit site
The locations on the maps are not at all accurate.
Not many are actually shown on the river are they? TVM had much better online data for each mooring. Maybe they are using existing software for car parks that hasn’t been adapted for river banks? I also noticed that moorings that were previously listed seem to have been removed - eg Hampton Court. Best case it’s WIP

TrueBlue

Visit site
TVM did a lot of research and produced a really good website - whose details suddenly appeared on the "car parking companies" website until they were forced to remove it.
Today I looked at "W2M" and couldn't find any moorings at all - perhaps it's 'being corrected'....

DougOut

Visit site
The biggest difference is you don't need to give contact details in a carpark. I'd be happier if all I had to give was my ssr but I don't want to get into a legal wrangle over a leisure pursuit.

Bran

Visit site
Just checked, moorings are still on the website, how about the mooring named Boveney Boveney bollards! Hmmm, sounds nearly right, even if it shows the mooring down a side street in Windsor.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
That will presumably be the mooring by the end of the Dorney rowing lake.

It seems ridiculous to be using postcodes to locate a place when virtually everyone on boats has long and lat either on the boat GPS or the phone or both.

A GIS service using postcodes will never work for waterside it's just not accurate enough.

Bran

Visit site

It seems ridiculous to be using postcodes to locate a place when virtually everyone on boats has long and lat either on the boat GPS or the phone or both.

A GIS service using postcodes will never work for waterside it's just not accurate enough.
I think you are right as to them being the Downey moorings, but what about Romney Boveney d/s, Boveney Boveney u/s, Boveney Downey, Boveney Boveney board, Boveney lakeside, Boveney queens Eyot? Obviously it will be just a case of noting the location code when you arrive, difficult to identify some from the maps.
It will be interesting to see these sites first hand, hope it works out for best for us all, may have a look next weekend if the river and weather are ok.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
I'd be surprised if lock cuts are included in this scheme. That would be a bit ridiculous.

Yes some locks have additional moorings "attached" but I don't think Romney does at least not for casual 24hr. Or Boveney.

ETA there is a potential mooring top end of Romney upper lock cut but the council have put signs up there due to some abuse so I don't think that is EA land.

Then there is the little 24h spot below Eton bridge on the Eton side with the annoying residents who don't want it to be a public mooring. I guess that one is probably included as -appears- to be EA.

They need to update the signage :

No generators,
No barbecues,
Bugger off.

DogsBody

Visit site
Seems to me that if DE's maps can't locate the moorings correctly, how are they going to be able to prove anyone was/was not moored there at any given time...

Chris_d

Visit site
Seems to me that if DE's maps can't locate the moorings correctly, how are they going to be able to prove anyone was/was not moored there at any given time...
I think the signs at the moorings have a location number to positively identify them. The website is pretty crap though, looked at a mooring called Lashbrook Wargrave and the nearest EA mooring is not even in the map view let alone where the arrow is which is in the middle of a housing estate! Ho hum...
I shall not be using any of them hopefully, unless really desperate :(

Scapegoat

Visit site

A really easy way to provide accurate locations is “WhatThreeWords”. It’s used by many public services including EA, local councils and the emergency services.
The simplest way to talk about location

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
A really easy way to provide accurate locations is “WhatThreeWords”. It’s used by many public services including EA, local councils and the emergency services.
The simplest way to talk about location
I had reason to call an ambulance for myself a couple of months ago. I was alone in a slightly obscure place which was difficult to describe so I used the what3words website with my phone. It was excellent, call handler happy to use the system and they found me no problem.

Definitely recommended. A very clever way to locate things.

oldgit

Visit site
The fact that this is now even being discussed means that the new regulations might eventually come to the attention of most river users.
The thorny problem of just how long you intend to be on mooring to make it worthwhile registering , is above my pay grade. Basically more than a few minutes and no good view up and down the tow path, would register.
As a visitor, only stop as a lunch break/shopping or over night, so really no problem at all.
If you really wish to show disapproval of the system, surely just use other alternative stops along the river.
It always suprised me how certain honeypot locations are the only stops that the locals will consider using , with many other EA moorings rarely having any boats on them.
Recall going past empty moorings with 24 hour signs on them but no boats even during peak months at weekends.

The moment you drive across the threshold of any private car park allows the car parking company to record the details they need to recover your home address from the DVLC.

Last edited:

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
I wonder what will be the protocol for the enforcement team when there is an unoccupied boat with name obscured.

Hmm.

Are they authorised to board vessels?

On the canals the CRT data checkers appear to be authorised to board vessels for example if two boats alongside and outside one index number not visible

TMBA

Visit site
The TMBA are preparing a comprehensive guide to the EA mooring locations which will include aerial images showing the extent , W3W locations, approximate mooring capacities etc. which we hope to make available later next week.
The exercise is revealing considerable information about the suitability of many of the non designated sites.

jct1981

Visit site
The TMBA are preparing a comprehensive guide to the EA mooring locations which will include aerial images showing the extent , W3W locations, approximate mooring capacities etc. which we hope to make available later next week.
The exercise is revealing considerable information about the suitability of many of the non designated sites.
Great, looking forward to that - W3W will make that really simple as well :)